First Sighting Of The Mnr In Quite Some Time.

Seanook

as a kid in high school me and a friend where the first two co-op students they had or so we were told anyway. All the staff at the MNR were awesome. It was when they had the small space on HWY20. the vault was loaded with repos and the freezers stacked full of poached animals. The COs seemed to be working at all times but they told me too much of thier time was wasted with red tape. Court cases on the phone all the time, cut backs......... You could tell it really bothered them not doing what they really wanted to do but do what they were told to do. I had the chance to help with the stocking of St. johns pond and a wild turkey banding in Short Hills plus many more things I wish I could do again. I know they try but I can't even imagine the cut backs now. They should really try to open it up for us to help try and help out too but when I was co-oping some 20+ yrs ago it was the first year they got bullet proff vests. So by my logic it will not happen due to the safety reasons confronting illegal activity by non law enforcement people. My hat goes off to them for doing what they can when they can. problem is $$$$$$$$ I work in a hospital, I have seen more smoking police in the past 3 months than COs in the past ten yrs. Because the bottom line is $$$$ at $305.00 per smoking police ticket vs I'm sure a lot less for CO ticket. I have seen them write 10 tickets to staff and walk past the patients in 15 min. 3k in tickets in 15 min. Government is just looking for fast cash. CO writes a ticket = lawyers + court costs + CO pay +++++ = not worth it. Anyway just my two cents.

jeff

There USED to be a voluntary Fish & Wildlife Guardian program before MNR budgets were cut almost ten years ago.

Aside from some training, the hat and vest, I don't see it costing that much to disband.

I believe a program like this still exsists, but I may be wrong, however with the program I'm thinking of the volunteer rides with the CO, and cannot charge anyone for violations, he/she is simply an extra body. It is like an internship for those thinking of career in the CO field, I was asking our local CO how interested young people can break into the field and he mention this aswell as a host of other things needed to even get looked at to get a CO position.

Those are municipal trespass fines. Province sees diddly.

If this is actually true, then its total BS. It says in the 2013 regulations at the bottom of page 79.

"It is an offence under the fish and wildlife conservation act of 1997 to tresspass for the purpose of fishing". I definitely agree that more COs should be hired and laws should be more thoroughly enforced, and fines should be much higher than what they are. As much as most people will say "its a money grab" well, yeah maybe it is, but hell, they definitely need the money. The government definitely squanders a lot of money, but this is not just padding the pockets of mighty warlord Wynne or Harper here. Its actually putting (or should be) money back in to an agency that badly needs it.

I think a lot of these provincial enforcement officers from the MNR, MOE and others are supposed to be "revenue neutral". I could be wrong about this.

So if they make 50,000$ per year, they are supposed to hand out ~50,000 in fines. As far as court costs and whatnot, I highly doubt any government enforcement agencies are making money on their fines. If police and crown attorneys spend 200,000 to prosecute a murderer, they don't give that guy a 200,000 dollar fine, they send him to jail. Which then costs more money. So yeah, a company that gets busted for illegal practices, might get fined heavily and that *may* end up covering court costs and all that, but your average liquor store robber, murderer, pedophile, arsonist costs the system more than just what us taxpayers shell out to keep them behind bars.

If you are referring to the 4 falls , CO's and NRP have been there numerous times each year handing out tickets for unlawful trespass. As for any revenues collected by the ministry, those funds are put in general revenue accounts. None is earmarked as MNR funds.

I got checked duck hunting this year, first time ever. It was at mud lake in November. I saw the same CO at the niagara outdoor show. chatted with him for a bit... He said something kinda scary. He told me that they have to plan the "random" checks a couple of weeks prior. If they were checking the welland river for instance, a couple of weeks prior they submit paperwork then they go to the specific spot to check licences. Unless called they do not do a truely random check of people on the side of the bank... I think I would rather see random checks. All in all it was good to see them out, and I told them that.

Mike

If you are referring to the 4 falls , CO's and NRP have been there numerous times each year handing out tickets for unlawful trespass. As for any revenues collected by the ministry, those funds are put in general revenue accounts. None is earmarked as MNR funds.

Thats not exactly true, Revenue collected by the MNR is returned to the MNR, the MNR is the only ministry that is funded by the revenue they collect. So in fact the revenue collected by the MNR is directly earmarked as MNR funds. This is why when shortfalls occure Provincial Parks not making a profit are being closed, or having there services drastically reduced

Thats not exactly true, Revenue collected by the MNR is returned to the MNR, the MNR is the only ministry that is funded by the revenue they collect. So in fact the revenue collected by the MNR is directly earmarked as MNR funds. This is why when shortfalls occure Provincial Parks not making a profit are being closed, or having there services drastically reduced

I've heard that answer and a few others as well. Guess it depends on who at the MNR is talking , and which audience they are talking to, and when. It's not like the ministry has never contradicted itself before

I've heard that answer and a few others as well. Guess it depends on who at the MNR is talking , and which audience they are talking to, and when. It's not like the ministry has never contradicted itself before

This is true, the idea when the fishing licence was proposed to the public to get all the anglers on side with it, it was sold as a way to "enhance" the under budgeted MNR. It didn't take long for our government to make revenue collected the only $$$$$ budgeted for the MNR, hence the budget was drastically reduced from an already shortfall before the licence.That is when so many programs were taken over by volunteers, fishing clubs and such, the idea of the fishing licence enhancing the fishery actually turned out to be another " nail in the coffin" for the MNR.

SAME OLE - SAME OLD

(Remember the TIRE TAX?) they never change with their appropriations and LIES.

back in 2009 it was called "STEWARDSHIP" (now that's a good BS NAME)

By Ted Woloshyn ,Toronto Sun

First posted:

Saturday, August 29, 2009 03:48 AM EDT

| Updated:

Saturday, August 29, 2009 03:54 AM EDT
Article

If you're planning on buying new tires for your car, do it before Tuesday, unless you don't mind forking over an extra $5.84 per tire.

That works out to $6.60 after tax, a tax Dalton McGuinty claimed would not happen. In 2005 he stated, "There'll be no tire tax. Everybody get that one? There will be no tire tax."

They still stand by that claim.

Huh?

You see the $5.84 is actually the Ontario Tire Stewardship fee; a fee that will be used to store, transport, recycle, and process used tires. It will also fund research and development and be used to educate consumers.

NONE OF THIS WAS EVER FOLLOWED!

SAME OLE - SAME OLD

(Remember the TIRE TAX?) they never change with their appropriations and LIES.

back in 2009 it was called "STEWARDSHIP" (now that's a good BS NAME)

By Ted Woloshyn ,Toronto Sun

First posted:

Saturday, August 29, 2009 03:48 AM EDT

| Updated:

Saturday, August 29, 2009 03:54 AM EDT
Article

If you're planning on buying new tires for your car, do it before Tuesday, unless you don't mind forking over an extra $5.84 per tire.

That works out to $6.60 after tax, a tax Dalton McGuinty claimed would not happen. In 2005 he stated, "There'll be no tire tax. Everybody get that one? There will be no tire tax."

They still stand by that claim.

Huh?

You see the $5.84 is actually the Ontario Tire Stewardship fee; a fee that will be used to store, transport, recycle, and process used tires. It will also fund research and development and be used to educate consumers.

NONE OF THIS WAS EVER FOLLOWED!

This thread is beginning to sound a little like Gerrits Zeitgeist post. LMAO!

I feel a Documentary coming on.

Somebody get a hold of Micheal Moore!

We used to refer to the MNR guys as "game wardens" They also had "deputy game wardens" who helped cover their areas . Now we have the MNR and also the MOE to deal with other issues , such as tire disposal "green " taxes . If you check your store receipts you will find several disposal fees (taxes) included with your purchases. . I have heard that some ask to keep their old tires only to toss them away in a water way or in the country to save from paying the tax . If they include the "fee" in the price of the new tires , we are screwed once again ...........unless you cross the big creek & buy state side . My truck tires cost $200 each , that's $26 HST each for the government , plus any labour costs with 13% more added . The government & our retailers are robbing us blind .......I think it's time to visit the U.S.of A. !!. .....Gas today is $1.29 .....big savings for me to buy 120 liters average per trip there .

We used to refer to the MNR guys as "game wardens" They also had "deputy game wardens" who helped cover their areas . Now we have the MNR and also the MOE to deal with other issues , such as tire disposal "green " taxes . If you check your store receipts you will find several disposal fees (taxes) included with your purchases. . I have heard that some ask to keep their old tires only to toss them away in a water way or in the country to save from paying the tax . If they include the "fee" in the price of the new tires , we are screwed once again ...........unless you cross the big creek & buy state side . My truck tires cost $200 each , that's $26 HST each for the government , plus any labour costs with 13% more added . The government & our retailers are robbing us blind .......I think it's time to visit the U.S.of A. !!. .....Gas today is $1.29 .....big savings for me to buy 120 liters average per trip there .

just for the gas claim, im lucky if i can get 1.28 here in the soo, for the past month and a bit its been 1.40 and is not showing any signs of lowering, costs me 60+ to fill my tank, or i can cross to michigan and ill up for 42$..

You have to wonder why MNR would help the Municipalities "with Trepass fines" when they receive nothing in return. The Municipalities should have their own By-law officers (who of course are paid) to issue their own fines.

Gas use the site below to see who has the cheapest gas. just put in where you are and it will give you the prices based on who last updated them.

http://www.ontariogasprices.com/owen_sound/index.aspx

You have to wonder why MNR would help the Municipalities "with Trepass fines" when they receive nothing in return. The Municipalities should have their own By-law officers (who of course are paid) to issue their own fines. Gas use the site below to see who has the cheapest gas. just put in where you are and it will give you the prices based on who last updated them. http://www.ontariogasprices.com/owen_sound/index.aspx

i used this site all the time when i lived in st.catharines, it usually brought me to a 7-11, but the gas station at the end of collier road in thorold is pretty good for being cheap too, problem is that up here its a border town, so gas is already jacked up, but all the stations stay at the same rate, its crappy:P

I remember when people were upset when gas was .51 L and diesel .23 L....this was like 1990. :lol:

haha yeeah, i was just old enough to understand the commotion with the 1.00 mark, every one was pissed and gas stations had to get new signs to accommodate the new digit:P

I remember when people were upset when gas was .51 L and diesel .23 L....this was like 1990. :lol:

When we fished north of Barrie when they had "gasoline alley" we would have to pay 10 cents more per gallon . We were upset to pay 51.9 cents per gallon (4.55 liters) lol

When we fished north of Barrie when they had "gasoline alley" we would have to pay 10 cents more per gallon . We were upset to pay 51.9 cents per gallon (4.55 liters) lol

Yet when you go to Orillia today, the gas is routinely 5-10 cents cheaper

yeah if you go over and fish the new york state trbs , i will guarantee you will be asked for your fishing lic. i have never not been asked and i fish alot over there. but for the amount the lic. cost over there and the amount of fish they do stock i can see why they department of conservation are everywhere all the time. ive seen 4 different ones in the same day on the same trib.

Just remember that the huge budget the MNR deals with isn't just for fish and wildlife. Fish and wildlife is only one small division of the MNR. The MNR could shift money from one division and use it to enhance F&W.

I think the CO's are doing a great job. I'm spread pretty dam thin at work and I gotta tell ya, someone suggesting I'm not doing enough would send me over the edge. If you think it's one government over another causing quality issues you better pull that toque back over the top of your eyes.

New world and we have to help manage. There is a deputy warden position but instead of a badge you get to use your cell phone. How many times this year alone have we had someone come here and say they saw an offence happen but didn't say anything or even call the TIPS line? No they don't come right away but when they get enough calls they know they have to peel their thn layer out of one spot and move to the hot spot.

Do we need more CO's? Heck ya. They know it we know it does your MP know it?

Archived