First Sighting Of The Mnr In Quite Some Time.

Seanook

Was hanging around my local tackle shop yesterday, picking up some odds and ends, chatting it up with a buddy and the owner.

Door opens and in strolls two of our Provinces' finest.

"Wow. They exist" my buddy chirps, well within earshot of our unexpected visitors.

I almost pulled out my Outdoors card just for the sake of saying I got checked.

One of the two fellows proceded to make their way over to the counter and ask the Owner for all his permits/licences etc.....While the other began opening the freezers and bait wells.

I actually never thought about it but these guys must spend a lot of their time checking on bait providers which is for sure a good thing although I wish I had seen them at Erindale during the Salmon run instead of checking on a reputable Tackle/Bait provider.

A necessary evil but still a tad annoying.

Once they had satisfied themselves that there was nothing unethical going on they strolled around the store for a few minutes doing nothing in particular.

"Heading down to the river?" I ask.

No response......Just a sharp look and a quick exit.

Just what I thought......Off to Timmies and then probably another tackle shop.

So I shot off a text to a buddy of mine I knew was at the river only minutes up the road and told him to lemme know if he has a Ministry sighting.

Nothing. Not even a sniff.

I know there are limited Officers in any particular zone at any particular time but a heavily fished trib was only moments away and they probably never even circled the parking lot.

I know that this might be a "be careful what you wish for" scenario but I would appreciate a tad more MNR presence here and there.

Nobody likes to walk anymore.

last year wass my first year where i needed a license, i guess i saw the mnr a "record" amount last year because i ran into them on 2 occasions, once before the bass season opened up at marlatts pond, i was fishing for pike, buddy asked me how i was doing, what i was fishing for, i showed him my red devil spoon just to show i wasnt dragging a tube jig or anything, he didnt seem sure if i was old enough to need a card but i reeled in and showed him my card anyways, then he was on to the next guy,
my second time was i was taking pictures at bailey bridge in jordan hollow, it was a few days after it is designated as a sanctuary and mnr was hitting it on the daily looking for people snagging and illegally fishing salmon, he quickly reminded me of the sanctuary dates and i assured him iv been trying to inform anyone and anyone and then i tipped him off on two guys walking the stream and milking all the salmon,

i never actually considered that the mnr would be checking tackle shops though, kinda slipped my mind really,

as for the comments, im with you guys, its true that mnr could show more presence, but for what they have to work with money wise and support wise i can imagine they hear it more often then you would think, i still think they do a decent job, but i would agree that we need alot more support and funding from the government to help get more presence and coverage form the mnr

Maybe the weather .......I fished Port harbour yesterday for 20 minutes ! .....very cold sw wind , some sleet .....and not another angler in sight ! The mnr would be wasting their time there . So , maybe they use those days to check out some tackle shops to check out the live baits such as illegal roe , invasives in the minnow tank , etc . I know they keep a close watch at Quinte during the summer as it has many boat anglers . The OPP also works with the MNR there checking for booze & safety requirements.

last year wass my first year where i needed a license, i guess i saw the mnr a "record" amount last year because i ran into them on 2 occasions, once before the bass season opened up at marlatts pond, i was fishing for pike, buddy asked me how i was doing, what i was fishing for, i showed him my red devil spoon just to show i wasnt dragging a tube jig or anything, he didnt seem sure if i was old enough to need a card but i reeled in and showed him my card anyways, then he was on to the next guy,

my second time was i was taking pictures at bailey bridge in jordan hollow, it was a few days after it is designated as a sanctuary and mnr was hitting it on the daily looking for people snagging and illegally fishing salmon, he quickly reminded me of the sanctuary dates and i assured him iv been trying to inform anyone and anyone and then i tipped him off on two guys walking the stream and milking all the salmon,

i never actually considered that the mnr would be checking tackle shops though, kinda slipped my mind really,

as for the comments, im with you guys, its true that mnr could show more presence, but for what they have to work with money wise and support wise i can imagine they hear it more often then you would think, i still think they do a decent job, but i would agree that we need alot more support and funding from the government to help get more presence and coverage form the mnr

I completely agree with the needing more funding point. That is very evident in the sheer lack of sightings. I have heard estimations on #'s of Officers in certain zones and the amount of ground they have to cover is astounding.

That being said......They were right there!......All they had to do was drive for 2 mins and get out of their vehicle. They wouldn't even have to ticket anyone. Their presence for 10 minutes would have people talking. A deterrant for sure.

Tackle shops that sell live bait are ALWAYS heavily inspected by CO's, checking to make sure they have the right species of minnows etc.

Talked to a couple guys at fishing world.....it wasnt a very liked subject, I can imagine how annoying it must be, kind off like my health inpector making

sure im using a legal brand af ketsup!!

Me and a buddy were stopped and checked going down to the river a month or so ago. I do stress "going down to the river" too, they checked us in the parking lot and I never did see them down at the river that day

Me and a buddy were stopped and checked going down to the river a month or so ago. I do stress "going down to the river" too, they checked us in the parking lot and I never did see them down at the river that day

I was always under the impression that your line had to be in the water for a card and equipment check to take place?

I know the O.P.P. can spot check just about anywhere near water when your boat is on the trailer.

Either they are getting lazier or I better re-check the regs. What if I brought a rod out before Bass opener and had I neglected to remove a Hoola Popper from the previous season?. I can't imagine a scenario where I would do something like that but still......... My line is not in the water. Would they just card check and warn about the tackle?.......Maybe I will just look at the regs again.

Ya,we talked about that after. 'no,we aren't going fishing, just taking the rods out for a walk" etc. etc.

But it probably isn't going to pay in the long run to be the smart ass .

They did ask us if we were going fishing as their opening hello,so maybe that was the legal bit covered.

Buddy and I were down at Port D last week and noticed a few guys fishing in a manner that we thought put themselves at great risk. We called the MNR and within twenty minutes two COs came down, explained to the guys the hazzards, checked their licences, then came over to us and chatted for a bit.

The COs maybe under staffed, but if you call them and they are available, they will respond.

Not wise to underestimate the CO's they know exactly what they can and cannot do, in fact most times they have already been watching you for 1/2 an hour before you know it. They have heard all the smart ass comments and then some, most know if your in violations before they even confront you. They are always polite proffesionals when I run into them and always open to answer any questions you may have.

I like seeing CO's about, but, sadly, with rape & pillage conservatives in charge, or liberals trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, they're as rare as the ruby-throated titmouse.

We have fabulous natural resources, and it's pathetic how they're abused on a daily basis, but people don't like paying taxes, so they vote conservative, and everything environmental is slashed and burned. Such is life.

Think before you vote, y'all. If you love to fish, but "environmentalism" is a dirty word in your house... try using that thing btw your ears.

Not wise to underestimate the CO's they know exactly what they can and cannot do, in fact most times they have already been watching you for 1/2 an hour before you know it. They have heard all the smart ass comments and then some, most know if your in violations before they even confront you. They are always polite proffesionals when I run into them and always open to answer any questions you may have.

They can watch me for as long as they like. No problem.

It has been quite some time since I have been approached by one while fishing and I have to agree that once business was taken care of they were courtious and even helpfull.

I think we can all agree though that even if they are not actively out checking and ticketing, their mere presence does not go unnoticed and does make the snaggers and overlimiters think twice and look over their shoulders. But to do that......They gotta get outta their cars and go for a stroll.

Checking the bait providers is undoubtedly an important part of the job, no doubt. I just get frustrated when in all the time I spend on the river, with all the things I have seen on the river........I have only recently..... seen them in a bait shop!

I completely agree with the needing more funding point. That is very evident in the sheer lack of sightings. I have heard estimations on #'s of Officers in certain zones and the amount of ground they have to cover is astounding.

MONEY is all a matter of PRESPECTIVE/PRIORITIES!

Same ole, Same ole.... (Doesn't matter if it's: Medical, Social Programs, etc)

"We don't have the funds" - (which they have not been allocated)

YET:

ie: The Government (Doesn't Matter WHICH ONE) can close 2 Gas plants in Mississauga (When they are already being built) .. decide to REBUILD them in Oakville.

Tell the TAXPAYER (LIE) that it will only cost about $40 million in penalties, when it actually will run almost 1 BILLION.

.... Then: Still have to spend another BILLION to build the new plants.

That just being ONE EXAMPLE!

So ..... guess there "Just isn't any money, is there?"

FRIGGIN JOKE as always.

SHAME

There USED to be a voluntary Fish & Wildlife Guardian program before MNR budgets were cut almost ten years ago.

Aside from some training, the hat and vest, I don't see it costing that much to disband.

The idea on paper sounds fantastic. (I believe it was the "Gaurdian Program")

However:

I'm not one of these "Conspirysist people" , but do not want anyone without a REAL BADGE handing out tickets.

PERIOD.

"Mall cops at the worst" - Is what I am afraid of.

PAY for PROFESSIONALS and GET PROFESSIONALS

There USED to be a voluntary Fish & Wildlife Guardian program before MNR budgets were cut almost ten years ago.

Aside from some training, the hat and vest, I don't see it costing that much to disband.

Insurance risks and liability are the buzz words.

About the initial post it might hsve been baitshop only dsy and they were inspecting a few in the vicinity. Get in get business done and move on to the next one.

Maybe they were acting on a call to tips. Just because you dont see the uniform doesnt mean they arent there. Fished beside two a few years ago who had donned civilian clothes to better observe some potential poachers.

I agree I would like to see them out more, but at least in niagara there is too much to cover for the few we have

I disagree with giving them more money. They could use the money from fines to support the ministry. How many times have guys been busted over the fence at port alone. In some cases busted twice in the same day.

I disagree with giving them more money. They could use the money from fines to support the ministry. How many times have guys been busted over the fence at port alone. In some cases busted twice in the same day.

im sure the fine money helps out the mnr, but i think they could use more money to employ more c.o's, iv been told that the niagara area has very few c.o's so if you employ maybe 2 or 3 more that could be a start

Those are municipal trespass fines. Province sees diddly.

Unfortunately not all of the fine money goes back to the mnr. It gets split throughout leaving the mnr with minimal if any. The mnr could be a revenue generator ... but then again who knows how much time gets wssted in court with the " those werent my fish" stories

Last year I called the MNR on a couple of different occasions. What I found out at that time was that there was ONE conservation officer that covered the entire region from the Niagara River to Hamilton and from lake to lake. At end of summer they were supposed to be brining on one more CO. So in our area they are severely understaffed if you are expecting to see them out and about. One other thing to remember is that the are the Ministry of Natural Resources, not the Ministry of Fishing. They have to cover ALL natural resources. Hunting, fishing, forestry etc. Think about it in that respect and you can imagine just how thin the resources get. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist and hesitate to believe that they are just lazy. Unfortunately the most effective use of resources is probably for them to be hitting known trouble areas, and or work from tips. I can't imagine how hard it would be to fill their shoes.

i think there may be more then 1, because in my 2 stories i talked to 3 different c.o's, maybe they hired another one or two? or maybe the the time when there were two guys asking me questions one was in training or something?

they will bring in their brothers and sisters from other areas when it is a known area or hot spot that requires lots of action. But there will be much monitoring and visits prior to doing such a thing. Was done years ago in Port D ... they went up and down both piers after those who were keeping an excessive quantity of bass due to the volume of complaints generated by concerned anglers ... they did some monitoring and acted upon it. But trust me there were tons of calls to TIPS and not one or two

i think there may be more then 1, because in my 2 stories i talked to 3 different c.o's, maybe they hired another one or two? or maybe the the time when there were two guys asking me questions one was in training or something?

There is more than 1 for the Niagara region, but most days only one is covering at a time, after all there are 168 hours in a week, less days off, court time etc.....

Archived