Word On The Street

jessek

Understand that, but a tough call...large stores buy in bulk and exchange their profit margins for quantity sales...open market competitiveness thus becomes an oxymoron and merely erodes into market monopoly.

Thankfully those guys on the fly will never be adequately serviced at BPS and continue their "small guy/girl" patronage...lets hear it for the fly!! LOL

not to shoot you down, but the best fly shop I have ever seen was in the Bass Pro in Calgary. had tying clinics, every material possible and an extremely informative salesperson/guide.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like going to BPS on the way to the cottage up the 400 maybe twice a year but I find you get caught wandering around looking at all the crap & wasting a lot of time. More than once I have left without buying anything but they do have some things you can't get anywhere else

This hurts my feelings big time, I'm totally opposed to the idea, ya bass pro might have allot of stuff but ask someone there what kind of fish are in lake Ontario and they will look at you like u just killed their dog. These box stores just like Walmart ruin business for smaller shops by being able to sell products at lower prices because they buy in larger quantities and are able to move product fast, and by employing non educated or young people and pay them min wage. It does hurt local shops I don't care what anyone says. Yes I'm guilty of going in there, but was disgusted when the kid at the reel both handed me a spinning cover for a reel when I asked for one that would fit a calcutta 400te he matched the "4" with 4000 for spinning I looked at him said never mind and walked out, never went back. Most of the workers there are high school kids, just looking for their 10 bucks an hour. They don't care if they are stocking lures, or paint cans at crappy tire. I know they have allot if stuff but the clothes are over priced, and they never have sales.

In a previous post I stated what I think will be the key to success of the smaller tackle shops. These stores have a tool at their disposal that a retail juggernaught like bass pro or sail don't. They have the ability to act as a gathering place for local anglers to share their tips tricks and stories and get to know each other and develop a camaraderie. While I can't speak for other places, I know for a fact that this has been happening for years at Pete's. By continuing to foster this clubhouse atmosphere for local anglers smaller stores will easily weather the storm.

Sure everyone one of us will venture out to Bass Pro during their spring fishing sale and pick up a couple crazy deal items....but as we wander the aisles and stare blankly into the faces of other shoppers who strangely enough return the very same blank stare to us, we will look forward to the next time we walk into Pete's, erie tracker, grimsby bait, fishing world etc and are greeted but familiar faces who can't wait to engage in conversation about our interests and in doing so share their passion with us.

So in the end, after an initial rush and dip in sails when Bass Pro first opens next spring, out local fishing tackle "clubhouses" will see a return to the status quo and refill the role they have been doing forever and the role we anglers love them for.

My 2 cents

I think it's the idea of handing over money to a greedy corporation that bothers me. Sure I'm not rich and would love to get things cheaper but at what expense? Yes you are right many anglers will always go to their local shops, but many will stray too, sales will be affected no doubt. It's just not fair is what I'm trying to say....many people may not agree, but thats corporate brainwashing for u. It's sad to see people can't see that.

Funny, I just remembered yesterday. The day before this thread was posted, I was thinking, "no way, not enough market for a BPS in Niagara". But now that I think more, I figure, yeah, I guess there are all thepeople stateside, and thousands of tourists every year. I guess it probably does make sense.

As some one that has to travel 2.5 hours to fish niagara. I would not be stopping at bps. Personally I have never has any luck finding knowledgable staff there and second when I leave home in the morning I want to have all of my gear for the day with me. I don't think bps will be opening at 5:30 in the morning and I don't know about you guys but I'm not in good enough shape to make the walk out from the pool,glen or pebbly to pick something else up just to go back

Sorry, I haven't read all the posts but..... I would rather support the local shops. I am an hour + east of Toronto. When we fish the Niagara, we stop in at Peter's Tackle in St. Cath. They seem to have more stuff geared for Niagara and the great lakes than anywhere else. Pencil weights... sure what size do you want? Jig hooks for tying bead flies.... sure all sizes i need. Spoons, dodgers, Docs, cannon balls, down riggers, trolling rods, float rods, float reels, husky jerks, shad raps, nets, line.... I hope you get the picture. Now if they would only get in the bugger marabou.....

Wish it was closer to my place as a lot of times they are not open when we pass by and closed when we get off the water.

I can't afford to shop there but I can afford smaller less expensive shops. Support the ma & pa operations not the big ticket pricey stores. (Just my opinion)

I agree. Shops like Fishing world and grimsby tackle take care of their customers and support local events. I would rather spend my dough at a ma & pa store.

I would love to support the local shops, but my local shop, FishIn Niagara just never seems to be open... He has a good variety of tackle I need, but I just end up making the 10 minute drive to Gander Mtn. Know the guys there and they help me out with anything i need, they are very knowledgeable. I will be making alot of trips to the new bass pro, as I've never had any trouble with them knowing there stuff. When I make my trips up to Black Lake, NY every year, over 6 trips annually, always pick up a good amount of tackle/bait from a local shop up there. Good friends run the place, gives me deals, helps me out and always open, always! Wish my local shop was like that... Would love to shop there instead of G-Mtn and bass pro.

I'll be shopping at BPS no questions. In general, better prices, better selection. The hired help is bound to be no different imo then my local shop (erie tracker). I appreciate ma and pa shops and will still use them too but the bottom line and selection is what is most important to me.

I've shopped erie tracker for almost 10 years now. To be honest I can't recall one time I was given any useful fishing advise. For example, when I ask for crappie help I dont need to be told try the welland river..... D'uh! I understand the reluctance to share spots, I don't hold that against anyone. My point is your not gonna get pin point help from a ma and pa shop nor BPS unless you are friends with the person working.

It will be nice for me to go. I will go during the week near to closeing time. Probably not weekends. Anytime I got free time I'm fishing but I will have a hour or two to kill when it's not busy during the week. Most of the shops I know close around 6 and I never can make it after my work. Thank goodness for those baits shacks a couple have, I would support those

Did someone say BP is cheaper? That's funny. Not a chance they are even close to being cheaper than grimsby or fishing world. You need to shop around more lol

Did someone say BP is cheaper? That's funny. Not a chance they are even close to being cheaper than grimsby or fishing world. You need to shop around more lol

Depends on the items your looking for, where you live, the direction your going fishing in, gas spent going to either location and of course in comparision to the fishign shops where you live.

Archived