Word On The Street

jessek

It is confirmed that its coming. My good friend is a civil engineer working on the project. The bass pro will be located closest to Leon's. the name of the mall is going to be the outlets at Glendale. I don't know how to post links here but if you google " outlets at Glendale niagara". You will get a host of sites and pdf documents filled with architects concept drawings that depict a bass pro outdoor world building on the Leon's side of the mall. Check it out....it's unmistakable

Announcement rights for the store remain with bass pro and they obviously have not seen fit to announce it. Heck opening is more than a year away. Wait until the big billboards start going up at the job site...they we will know

I wouldn't worry too much about the mom and. Pop stores. We only really have three in the area and they all have a pretty loyal customer following. Their prices may have to come down a bit to remain competitive and hang on to those customers with no loyalty which will eat into profits but Ike sure they are going to okay. We fisherman are a strange bunch. We go to a tackle shop not just to shop but to hang out and tell stories, learn for the vets and generally enjoy the unspoken bond between anglers. That's something that you won't et at a big box store....good deals....well that's another story....

S

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked online and want to make sure its in Niagara Falls? if it is that's awesome ill be going there all the time and buying my fishing gear there so pumped for it. :clapping:

Would like to see this happen. Surprised about it actually. I've never actually had an experience there where the worker didn't know what he was talking about, guess I just some how avoid the ones that don't. I do prefer to support the local shops though, they do have better customer service. Can get everything in one stop at Bass Pro. Only shop at BPS maybe 4 times a year, compared to basically every week at local shops.

It is confirmed that its coming. My good friend is a civil engineer working on the project. The bass pro will be located closest to Leon's. the name of the mall is going to be the outlets at Glendale. I don't know how to post links here but if you google " outlets at Glendale niagara". You will get a host of sites and pdf documents filled with architects concept drawings that depict a bass pro outdoor world building on the Leon's side of the mall. Check it out....it's unmistakable

Announcement rights for the store remain with bass pro and they obviously have not seen fit to announce it. Heck opening is more than a year away. Wait until the big billboards start going up at the job site...they we will know

I wouldn't worry too much about the mom and. Pop stores. We only really have three in the area and they all have a pretty loyal customer following. Their prices may have to come down a bit to remain competitive and hang on to those customers with no loyalty which will eat into profits but Ike sure they are going to okay. We fisherman are a strange bunch. We go to a tackle shop not just to shop but to hang out and tell stories, learn for the vets and generally enjoy the unspoken bond between anglers. That's something that you won't et at a big box store....good deals....well that's another story....

S

http://www.niagaraadvance.ca/2012/06/12/glendale-outlet-mall-moving-ahead

heres a link with a artist drawing of what the mall should look like, thanks for bringing up your information in this thread,

dont know how true it is but I heard bass pro was looking for government kickbacks in buffalo and all the other stores in that area were vocal as they were never given any kickbacks to open stores. Which led to bass pro choosing the site across from white oaks. Like I said though, don't know how true it is but time will tell...

This is what happened in Buffalo, Bass pro wanted so many tax exemptions from the city, as well as money to convert the old Buffalo auditorium. It was to expensive for the city of Buffalo and the public wasn't on board with a Big box store being built and funded by the tax base, hence Bass Pro pulled the plug. It had absolutely nothing to do with the market base, but everything to do with we'll take over your old auditorium if you build us a store and exempt us from taxes. I believe the last time they tried to get Tax $$$$ earmarked by the City for the water front revitalization program, but a big box store didn't fit the critieria.

As for Bass Pro setting up in Niagara I think it's a great idea and will bring $$$$ into the local economy, as for the smaller shops I don't think it will have a huge negative impact. I always here the fear mongering associated with the big box stores but rarely see any of these small shops negatively affected. Competition is always good for the consumer, the smaller shops have survived the first Bass Pro and the New Sail stores and I think they will continue to have a market share. I think it's a great idea that this whole development is going through, it's about time that piece of ground was used for something.

I'm not rich in any way but If I were to go to bass pro and see a rod for 200 bucks, and grimsby tackle has it for 250-300, I'll still go to grimsby tackle. It's different for me because I work for a ma and pa store, so I know first hand what its like to deal with big box stores. What it comes down to is service, service service. All my customers come to me regardless of price, it could be a thousand dollar difference, but they come here because I back them up, anytime there's an issue, I'm there. The only thing bass pro is good for is if someone gives you a gift card. other than that, not a fan.

Sure just ask all the small shops that closed when Walmart open or the pressure on them. Just be careful what u WISH for !!!!!

what small shops would that be, the mom &pop Eaton's or Simpsons or the little Towers

I don't comprehend the hub-ub for supporting mom and pop shops. If they can bring something to the table to fight the box stores so be it, usually it is customer service or knowledge of the local area. I have been irked by all the local tackle shops at one point or another, and going in to them regularly has not gained me any benefits, they will give some info out regardless of if your a regular or not based om the questions you ask, it is all about the questions to ask. Personally I have no affiliation to any product if the price is a little less through a less desirable provider for small purchases (unless your getting a boat, fishing is not a large purchase item 99.9% of the time).

Bass Pro will bring an assortment of jobs (most low paying, but still more jobs is better in an area where the most commonly advertised jobs are call centers or summertime help for the hotels (both low paying also). That is better than what the mom and pop stores bring to the community for the most part. Some stores do much more than others as far as community involvement. Bass Pro will also be one more draw into the area for tourism.

Bass Pro will ALSO allow you to see and feel a ton of options (rods, reels, etc) compared to your local shop, if you so desire talk to the shop and tell them what you want and I am sure they can bring it in.

In five years time I will wager that Bass Pro still exists and all tackle shops will still live (unless they have closed for reasons other than income), their take home will be slightly less. The people who will be hurt will be the Canadian Tires and the Walmarts as their prices won't change, corporate pricing, so for 5 stores they wont change the corporate pricing overall.

I look forward to being able to get my license/sticker at an establishment where they will know how to work the technology as opposed to "I know your pet food, but you have to cover a shift in sporting goods this week". The biggest issue I have seen at Bass Pro is that they can be understaffed which does not allow them to assist people properly but this is no different than the tackle shops who at most have two people working in them.

Big Box stores don't come in to a community and put anybody out of business...consumers do that. The choice you make as consumers greatly effects what happens to the little guy(s). If Ma and Pa stores are so significant and provide all the service that you want, they should still be in business. There's a reason why big box stores are successful. They are obviously meeting the demands of the consumer more than some of the Mom and Pops do. My Great Grandfather owned a clothing store...the way people shopped put him out of business, not a big box store. He was downtown and when Niagara Square opened it attracted all the business away from the downtown area. Consumers chose another way of shopping...they can get a suit, buy groceries, go to the bank and buy a book all with in an hour and never have to go outside. On-line shopping is doing the same to retailers, not big box stores.

I personally am not a huge fan of BPS, but they fill a niche with weekend anglers and cottagers. They carry the "big name" brands and their in house brands. They don't however, carry the small, even higher end manufacturers that some of us prefer. I think the arguments "for" a BPS/outlet mall outweigh the bad. It will attract tourism dollars from the states and else where. Its another draw to keep people in town (Niagara Falls/NOTL) longer than a day. I know for a fact big box stores have a staff of at least 50 or more people, okay, so its minimum wage...what does the local shop have 2, 3, maybe 5? My math says they are hiring way more people. More jobs in the community means more money spent at local stores and companies. That mall will attract restaurants, hotels, gas stations, other retail outlets. That will create more jobs which should attract more people to live here, which will add housing and infrastructure...that will turn into other opportunities like landscaping, painters and so on and so on. People always say that the government doesn't do anything to create jobs...well they just did, didn't they?

As far as price goes, the local guys have better prices than the big box stores anyways. Price on most gear is the same as in the states or better. I will still go to Peter's, Top Notch Tackle or Fishing World because I can go in, grab what I need and take off...I don't need to spend hours. I also hit Sail, Gander, Cabela's online, Tackle Warehouse and BPS online, because I look for certain items that may not be carried locally and vice versa.

And to all you guys that think big box stores are the devil, you probably all stopped for a Timmy's today, not realizing you are putting the Mom and Pop coffee shops out of business! Hypocrites!!!

PS - Tim's started out as a one store Mom and Pop operation in Hamilton...similar stories for Wal-Mart and Bass Pro! A determined and motivated owner shouldn't be punished for good business sense and taking risks.

I don't understand why any of you anglers want a bass pro? You have everything here already. At the same or cheaper value. This will knock out smaller local shops and just give out a bunch of more minimum wage jobs. There prices will slowly increase as well.

I tried researching the archives for a thread a while back about the detriment of big box stores have on municipalities, I believe the exact article was posted by a banned former member, maybe thats why I couldnt find it...too bad it was a very informative read.

I remember that post too, but competition keeps people honest I think.Smaller stores will survive if they give people a reason to shop there. Peters does alot for the community with kids derbies n such. I will always shop there 1st for big ticket stuff,but I will price compare to make sure I get the best deal.

I remember that post too, but competition keeps people honest I think.Smaller stores will survive if they give people a reason to shop there. Peters does alot for the community with kids derbies n such. I will always shop there 1st for big ticket stuff,but I will price compare to make sure I get the best deal.

Understand that, but a tough call...large stores buy in bulk and exchange their profit margins for quantity sales...open market competitiveness thus becomes an oxymoron and merely erodes into market monopoly.

Thankfully those guys on the fly will never be adequately serviced at BPS and continue their "small guy/girl" patronage...lets hear it for the fly!! LOL

Top notch has a good assortment of plastics at good prices from what I remember last year, almost time to revisit their site.Just an example of giving customers a reason to shop there.Make sure you're the best at a couple categories and competitive at everything you stock.

If you find a deal at a "big box store" but would rather not shop there, just ask the "mom and pop" store if they can do the same deal. They most likely will be glad to. I have done it before and will do it again to support local small business. Just my .02....................Oh, by the way, I have been to BPS in Vaughn and was not impressed by their nonchalant, don't give a rats a$$ attitude toward customer questions......................Boog

If you find a deal at a "big box store" but would rather not shop there, just ask the "mom and pop" store if they can do the same deal. They most likely will be glad to. I have done it before and will do it again to support local small business. Just my .02....................Oh, by the way, I have been to BPS in Vaughn and was not impressed by their nonchalant, don't give a rats a$$ attitude toward customer questions......................Boog

i never thought of doing that, trying to get a mom and pop shop to compete for sale price that way, the one problem up here in the soo is that the mom and pop place i go to are kind of... stuck up and all they try to do is sell you a product rather then help you, so i go to the canadian tire here instead, this is a one off case though, and big purchases or purchase that i wanna make sure is worth my time i will stop at a local place(rod,reel,line,lures), but if im just getting bell sinkers, hooks or splitshot, il just stop at a walmart or canadian tire on the way to my fishing destination

boog...funny thing is I had the same experience at the Vaughen Store...

Not all the time,

I used to work in a local small business and often we could not compete with the big box store as there sale prices were less than our cost...

but it is true go to BPS and ask them specific questions.... Ill bet 10:1 you get a scripted answer or I dont know... the knowledge is not there!

It saddens me to see this happen here ...

Archived