Saint Catherines Fishing Report

fishfight

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what a spoon would look like with some crystal flash glued so it hangs out the back like scales falling off.

They used to sell spoons like that back in the 80's

Fishfight I tried the spoons I made with the coins on them, I even found some Glitter Tape to add to them. I was in Port Dalhousie and gave them a good honest effort about an hour for each of the 2 spoons I made. Unfortunalty I did not have any luck with either of them, so I switched to row bags. It ended up being fun anyways I caught a small Brown and a decent Rainbow on the row bags. thanks again for all your information.

The area is tougher fishing then niagara river IMO. Last 2 years report from locals, seemed to have gone down due to some construction and less water being release from the dam. But I would comment today, the area seemed to have picked up lately, an assumption based on more anglers on site, means many have somewhat done well days prior ,and kept on coming back. While last two years when I visited the area by mid afternoon on my way back to Toronto, (after already having successful days fishing niagara river,) there were way less anglers , and current was slow at the bay, discouraging me to even bother to attempt to fished the area.

Roe or live bait works for most, but using artificial lures are a different breed of anglers, nothing can beat the sensation from a fish hitting our lure during our retrieve, One's magic lure might not always be another person's magic lure. I was already successfully catching fish with lures in years, without even tweaking my lure, then after I had tweaked them, I was catching even more trout or bass or salmon. It all goes down to how well we understand and can control our lure regardless of fishing from plastic grubs or crank bait or streamers to roe. At times it is easier to influence someone who hardly have much experience in fishing, to try something new, since they need to fully have faith and trust in the person who has guided them, to forget on what had medico-rely worked, a willing mindset to start afresh.

I influence one of my tennis training buddy to fish with me last fall 2012 from october to december 25th, he actually hardly fish in his life but was a good strong hiker due to our weekly tennis training routine, he originally cannot fully understand how to control the lure action, he snagged and lost an average of 2 spoon a day during our weekly fishing adventure, he also bought a 10ft rod that time as part of my advice, even if he owns a bass rod. In 8 out of 9 times we fished niagara, he landed all the time, the one time he did not land, he snagged a 3lb sucker to our surprise. His first trout he ever caught was when he was trying to untangle the snagged tweaked spoon at the bottom, by the time he got it off.......FISH ON!

Similar philosophy when one wants to get out of whatever state they feel they are not doing too well or failing, to want to change his mindset for future advancement. I teach and give free advice in tennis as a part time weekly hobby to help few friends get out of their present level/situation. Since some of them have been playing for almost 10 years, and somewhat can hit the ball back at certain level or pace, but they find it hard to further improve or to correct themselves of whatever existing technique (muscle memory) they already posses. Many of them are stuck at whatever level of success, since their mind and body kept on wanting to go back to what work in the past. To continue to improve on an on going basis, or move to another level of expertise, some lifestyle changing attitude and physics need to change to get out of whatever old muscle memory that lingers on, it is very uncomfortable to change whatever habits/pattern we think works. In many cases, in order to get out of old pattern/habits, one must be willing to endure a change of mindset , or even a body physics, to be willing to encounter short term discomfort for the sake of wanting to move to better higher ground.

I was not doing as well fishing for few years, for the reason ,one of my regular aging fishing buddy in his 70's, was getting less fit to hike nIagara river , I fished with him for few years with mediocre success , I finally have to stop fishing with him during winter months was a tough decision ,since he was a great guy, he was also losing his touch and getting skunk. We fished Port D as an alternative, even if I knew the niagara river always holds more fish. When we have decide to not hook up during winter months, I was forced to fish the river more often again, with more fit anglers, who were able to hike and could endure cold conditions. In addition to tweaking lure and weekly training my legs from my tennis drills, resulting in being more fit to hike, my fishing success and mental confidence went up even more.

When I got into fishing 20 years ago, I had the determination to only want to fish with artificial lures, the lures were also readily available, it can be so confident booster and mind boggling, when our lure, that looks so fake and metal like, could actually fool a fish to take it. I also believe,we as Humans, should be able to outsmart the fish more, and not let the fish outsmart us!

Hi Liar's Club,

I would like to try my spinning rod and some artificial lures to get any trout. However, I have never been fishing at Lower Niagara / St Catherines.. I mostly do it during the summer time in Caledonia / York region. Where can you recommend me to soak my lures there from the shore?

Port Dalhousie is a good spot

Think I'll wash some lures there today for trouties ......I have my rig set up with a 3 way / floating lure to keep it near bottom but not on bottom . They are feeding on gizzard shad as well as minnows so I hope to hook a nice bow for the smoker .

Port Dalhousie is a good spot

Thx,

I’ve just checked the Google Earth and found only a couple of spots there with the access to the canal. There is a dock at the East side of Henley Island. Another long dock is located on the West side of the canal on Waterfront Trail. Is it allowed to fish there? I am from Troronto and have never been to Port Dalhousie

Thx,

I’ve just checked the Google Earth and found only a couple of spots there with the access to the canal. There is a dock at the East side of Henley Island. Another long dock is located on the West side of the canal on Waterfront Trail. Is it allowed to fish there? I am from Troronto and have never been to Port Dalhousie

google st.catharines game and fish port dalhousie, get directions to there, it will be exactly where you need to be to get into bows and browns

Thx,

Ive just checked the Google Earth and found only a couple of spots there with the access to the canal. There is a dock at the East side of Henley Island. Another long dock is located on the West side of the canal on Waterfront Trail. Is it allowed to fish there? I am from Troronto and have never been to Port Dalhousie

There is no formal docks for public use on martindale pond.

People saying port dalhousie a referencing the mouth that enters lake ontario

Archived