The Great Pink Worm Debate

Seanook

I recently ran out of my go to Berkley power pink worms. So off to the tackle shop I went. Once I arrirved....I found a new brand on the shelf. Smokin Jigs pink worm. Now I rarely mess with success but I was intrigued. So I picked up a pack of both versions. A bunch of my fellow Steelheaders have been raving about the smokin version. I am gonna give em both a run and see which one out catches the other. I will report back soon. Until then......discuss.

I came pretty close to using the Berkley trout worms on the Credit when I ran out of Maribou jigs, but when I opened the pack they were all stiff and dried out, I must not have sealed the bag properly......waiting with much anticipation to your findings!!

I have heard lots about the pink worms, even purchased berkley pink trout worms, but never used them, went to use them the other day and they were all dried out like chef's, I'll probably get another pack this season to spice up my steel gear, but what is the ideal conditions to use the pink worm? If there is one even? Just wondering if its more of a after a big rain bait, or if its best suited for gin clear water

I have fluro colored pink or orange grub ,work very well under semi-stained water condition. I just add them on to 3/8 or 1/2 oz jigheads. I seldom use them of clear water, and would rather use natural colored lures.

I was told that there are pink colored shrimp-like creatures at nIagara river, one reason the trout is attracted to that color.

If you guys are drifting these worms say in the niagara or at dalhousie, how do you rig them on a 3 way? I have tried just hooking them on a trout hook and threading them through the leader with no luck either way.

Thanks

salmonman

The Berkley ones are clearly out performing the smoking ones so far. I primarily use beads but as we all know complacence is not a virtue with fishing tackle. You gotta keep switching things up and sometimes it's the odd unremarkable looking thing in your box that is the day's meal ticket. The first time I used these little worms was at the Big Head last year. It had been a long day and the bite seemed to have turned off. We could clearly see fish dropping back into the deep pool we were drifting but nothing was taking. After a short discussion about what to use next I decided to wacky rig a little pink worm and boy did it change the circumstances. I started hammering fish right of the bat. Problem was, I was the only guy with a pack of them and there were two other guys drooling over my shoulder at them. Anyone who has used them knows that they aren't exactly durable and one tends to go through quite a few. I had the gold and it was not an infinite commodity. I gave in and shared. We ran out fast but the point had been made. They work!

As for the problem of them drying out........I met a dude down on the Credit recently who had a clove of garlic in one of his packs. His explanation was to keep them soft and keep some flavor. Dunno if it works but he seemed to have no doubts. Discuss......

Anyhow. I'm sticking with the Berkley ones for now. Trying to find some that have a little white belly stripe. No luck yet but I have heard good things.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of rigging them wacky style as two posters wrote . I wonder if a small O ring or elastic would be useful . I will pick some up at Peters tomorrow as I hope to try for both pike and trout .

.....picked up some pink worms and grabbed an 8" Finbore while I was there . (good price) . I fished for pike for 2 hrs , ,only one nice perch took the bait . Met a few guys behind Pier 61, gabbed a lot ,,,,never wet a line lol .

Besides the other ways of rigging pink worm I like putting them on a " slow death" hook, which is a walleye hook. They give a nice action to the worm, but they may spin too much in the Niagara.

I was discussing the pink worm issue with a salesperson at Petes Tackle shop today . He said rigging them wacky style may cause them to spin and twist the line . They look too thin to rig this way without splitting them in half . I have some slow death hooks I use for walleye but they're too big for these worms . ( I have real worms ) But I will try one anyway to see how it works . The Port harbour was murky today , about 1' vis., but I saw a few browns caught.

Archived