How Do People Make It Thur Life?

Slevin

The latest hunting season is only three days old and already there have been several accidental shootings. Police say it’s because some hunters aren’t practicing basic gun safety.

“Once you pull that trigger you can't take that bullet back,” is the advice Rob Seal has for anyone being cavalier about hunting.

“You always got to be paying attention you have to know where your fingers are,” he says. “Guns just don't go off, it takes something to set it off, so it's always best to have it on safe until you're aiming at what you want to shoot ’cause once you shoot, it's game over.”

Since Monday, five people have been accidentally shot while hunting in Ontario – one incident was on Monday near Ottawa, and four people were shot yesterday including a 17-year-old near Peterborough, a man in Huron County and two people in Essa Township.

OPP Sgt. Peter Leon says it's rare to see so many accidents so early in the season.

“Point the gun in the right direction, keep your finger off the trigger,” Leon says. “If they trip and stumble on the ground – and there are lots of leaves on the ground – and the fire arm is pointed forward there is a potential for that fire arm to discharge and injure someone.”

One of the Essa Township residents remains in hospital tonight although police say their injuries are not life threatening.

“Call it what you wish but it is certainly a case of luck that no one has been seriously injured,” says Gary Banting, the owner of Wolf's Den in Essa. He says if you don't know how to use a gun, don't pick one up before learning.

“They have to be proficient with it, they have to know how to use it and be safe with it, like anything else,” he says. “It's like driving a vehicle.”

So far police have laid charges in only one of these cases – a teen from Essa has been charged with careless use of a firearm and that gun has been seized by police as part of the investigation.

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/latest-hunting-se...-days-1.1531346

Old news... Happens every year. Not all people are smart, not all people are safe.

From the article:

Published Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:24PM EST

"the latest hunting season" is actually referring to the start of the November controlled hunt I believe.

wow,very surprising.I realy thought most hunters were very careful like the group I hunt with! Guess I better duck when I hear the next camp over shooting

Really? Every hobby and sport has the unlikeables ... everyone here sees infractions for fishing ... only assume hunting has their weekend warriors as well

if that was towards me at all, all i ment was with hunting you have to potential to take someones life, weather your bow hunting or hunting with a gun, i just figured the guys who hunted would be a bit more careful since the danger level is way higher.

16 shots fired in a TO subway by cops a few days ago , and no one shot ? The police seem to have a problem themselves where to shoot and how to shoot . I had my first shotgun at 16 , a 20 gauge single shot (Cooey) . We were taught by our fathers how to handle guns and never pull the trigger until we knew what the target was ......and to know what was behind the target . Some shots were declined as I wasn't sure where my partner was .......The same applies to rifles as well .

16 shots fired in a TO subway by cops a few days ago , and no one shot ? The police seem to have a problem themselves where to shoot and how to shoot . I had my first shotgun at 16 , a 20 gauge single shot (Cooey) . We were taught by our fathers how to handle guns and never pull the trigger until we knew what the target was ......and to know what was behind the target . Some shots were declined as I wasn't sure where my partner was .......The same applies to rifles as well .

Male with a gun was shot. He is in the hospital and will recover.

True story: I had a hunter fire a shot over my head because I had paddled around a bend and into the area they were hunting. Instead of telling me to look out, he just figured it was appropriate to discharge a round in my direction.

Was he trying to teach me a lesson? Was I supposed to know they were there? I heard no shots before I came around the bend so how was I supposed to know they were there. There was no apology, only a bunch of guys laughing and calling me names.

Morrow of this story is whether you are hunting or not, keep your head up because that 1% excluded from responsible hunters do not give a sht. Neither do the police in this case.

I've had more than my share of close calls with the "Elmer Fudds" of this world, including pulling bird shot out of my hide. Enough to give up hunting several decades back. No matter what courses, education, training, regulations, they put in place, there will always be a careless Fudd somewhere out there. Every hunting season I get that hankering to go out and beat the trails, and I then quickly recall the reasons I gave it up.

Archived