12 Mile Creek Protection

Bryan

seems like a good chunk of money so hopefully they can do quite a bit of planting with it. As long as the nursery they buy from doesn't see it as a way to get rich... All too often the prices get inflated..... With volunteer planters and a thrifty buyer the money will go along way..

With Trout Unlimited as the recipient of the money I can garuntee that they will have numerous volunteers ! More often than not , when dealing with groups that buy in bulk for planting, nurseries offer discounts. This money should get alot of plants planted. Hopefully they do some before and after shots of places they planted.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason I know they are there is because I did rehabilitation work on the 12 with the NPCA last summer and saw 2 sitting in a pool.

I would never fish for them, or even suggest fishing for them. To find the spots with them would take forever and a day, and even then I would never want to harm all the work that's been out into the creek.

In fact, I helped with a Temperature Study that was done this past summer on 12 to see if the temps are cooling down with the rehabilitation work that has been done. Hopefully the report gets finished and shows that all the hard work these groups do and the time they spend is worth it and making a difference.

Some people have suggested stocking the 12 Mile (below the Decew dam to Port Dal. ) with walleye or trout , but as long as they keep dropping the water levels drastically each summer , spawning beds could be drained completely . If water levels were maintained , the 12 Mile could be a great sports fishery . It is mainly a bass and pike spot now ......and the beavers have dropped a lot of trees in prime fishing spots ,making them unfishable now. The upper 12 , to Effingham is mostly private land ,and as mentioned , could be easily "fished out" quickly with hordes of anglers looking for specks.

I don't think posting on the internet is the greatest idea for preservation. Yes there are trout in that system but good luck getting them. I think the average is one 6 inch trout for every 100 ticks you find on yourself. Truth is there are systems that actually hold trout that are worth while to fish you just need to put the work in to find them. Just not along the 12 as other members said allot is private land and the owners call the police if they see you there. Most of them are not "Fisher friendly" try some tribs off erie where if you catch one and keep it it won't affect the system dramatically. Plus there's more chub than anything in there.

It could be a great fishery. They could turn it into a catch and release fishery like the upper Grand. Many trout streams in the states also have single barbless hook rules that have resulted in outstanding fishing.

The MNR has made it abundantly clear that they are not interested in stocking walleye above the dam in Port D. Nor would any stocking of browns or bows be beneficial to any fragile native species that still manage to exist in the system

Walleye would be no good. That system is too polluted to make them good eating. They should be there already as well ... lake gibson ... theyre caught on occaison.

the lack if decent fishable spots ... would be a waste.

how will this kill the fishies and the 12? We may lose some spots ... but it is already signed no tresspassing around wellandvale ....

The MNR wont stock Walleye where they can't reproduce on their own or where they will compete with other species. We tried to get permission to stock walleye in Binbrook but Ann Yagi didn't want anything to do with that. Her idea was to get the walleye to naturally reproduce more in the welland river by increasing the summer flows (by drawing Binbrook down further). The walleye don't migrate that far up anyways so I think shes dreaming.....

The MNR wont stock Walleye where they can't reproduce on their own or where they will compete with other species. We tried to get permission to stock walleye in Binbrook but Ann Yagi didn't want anything to do with that. Her idea was to get the walleye to naturally reproduce more in the welland river by increasing the summer flows (by drawing Binbrook down further). The walleye don't migrate that far up anyways so I think shes dreaming.....

There were a few projects, a few years back , on the Welland to build spawning habitat to further enhance stocking efforts on the river.

They used to stock them down at the Port Davidson Weir. I know that there's a paper by Anne Yagi on Google that's all about fish they've stocked and monitored in the Welland River.

Walleye are in the 12 Mile creek . Anglers don't target them but there are probably spots where they like to be like the rapids below the Decew Gen. plants . They were plentiful there in the 50's & 60's but the spots are now fenced . One of our guys (Joey) caught a 22" eye .in the creek 2 yrs.ago while bass fishing. Gibson has eyes , so maybe some small ones can survive the drop through the turbines into the 12 . , or some are still there from days past & still able to reproduce . I know there are spots with nice pebbly bottoms & rocks & fallen trees .....

I was at a meeting where they showed us where the walleye are in the welland river. They don't go past a certain point even with high water..not sure why... If the MNR had more funds I bet stocking would be on the table for more areas. Even a put and take fishery is better than nothing....

Archived