Mercer And Castellano Special Access

RiverRuns

Watched Facts of Fishing this morning. Dave Mercer and Paul Castellano were shore fishing for Niagara steelies at the base of the Falls. Apparently, they received special permission to fish this area which is usually off bounds to fishermen.

I was just curious as to why Castellano - THE guy when it comes to Niagara steelhead- would agree to have himself filmed fishing in a "prohibited" area, when he has proven that he can catch fish anywhere on the river. Is this the only place they could get cameras, or were there too many fishermen in the background everywhere else? I am sure there must be an explanation.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to besmirch the reputation of either of these fine gentlemen - anyone I have met who has fished with/spoken to these fishermen have had nothing but positive things to say.

As I said, just curious...and I did enjoy the show!

Pretty sure if you look into it you will find that the city of Niagara Falls, and the Niagara Parks commission were behind the effort as a tourism marketing device.

Yes they can catch steelhead any where in the river but that location was far more picturesque and there were no Bozo's running around to bother them. I have seen more then one camera crew fishing the lower face non stop harassment either for autographs or expletives for exposing someones "personal" fishing spot. This way no ones spot was exposed.

Anyone remember the Port angler losing their minds when Italo filmed from shore there and exposed their little piece of heaven???

I would think the fact that not only would we be fishing there but all the tourist too would be down there atleast the Glen and the pool is a hike the falls is a cement path too easy for large numbers to access

What happens if you are caught trespassing in that section of the Falls? A fine?

Im sure they would try to make an example of anyone caught tresspassing by pressing charges, which would likely involve a court date. I would not want to find out though.

Im sure they would try to make an example of anyone caught tresspassing by pressing charges, which would likely involve a court date. I would not want to find out though.

Translation: you have to be able to scramble faster than at least 1 of your fishing buddies!!! Just kidding, if one gets pinched we all get pinched. Hah.

We used to fish that area back in the eighties when I was in highschool. Lots of fun getting down the slime covered ice shelf to the rocks in the spring. Tourists would always give you a double take walking up from the Maid of the Mist access road holding fish.

it was my go too spot, bass in the summer, salmon in the fall, trout in the winter. That rock they were on is called rainbow rock (that's what we called it) for obvious reasons man do I miss that place :(

if you can get to the shore line you can fish it. Its not like you cant fish were these guys were no one owns the shore line of the river (was told by Parks Police), having said that the reason you cant get down to maid is that the road down is trespassing and that they fenced it off cutting off the access to the shore so now if you jump the fence you are trespassing...

I remember hearing about an access point under the rainbow bridge, never checked it out though. One day I might take a hike around there for some prospecting.

There is an access but you need to be a billy goat and be tied off, no real safe route there

just remember as soon as you go over that retaining wall, you may be charged for trespassing. ask the kids who needed to be rescued a few years ago.

These are the same people with no respect for anything, a sign, a garbage can, or the law. I just hope that whoever attempts trespass gets full prosecution to the max.

Archived