Float Stops

Jmo1685

Hey guys,

I have a question in regards to stops for fishing with slip floats. I've always used the floats you can clip on the line, but I'm looking to use slip floats this upcoming year for a variety of species. My question is : do you guys have a preferred way of tying one ? Or do you guys use premise stops ? I've been looking into using some Dacron line and using a uni knot. I'll be using a rod with small guides for panfish and don't want the knot getting caught in the eyes.

What do you guys suggest ?

I like the rubber float stops. I use the small sized ones as I use it with small diameter line. then I place a tiny bead to stop the float from getting stuck on the stop.

If your looking to tie your own it works well. I just found issues occurred more often with them. I used the a knot actually designed to be used for float fishing. Could be wrong but believe it was called the bobber stop knot. I used a heavy monk which worked fine. But you could get away with a bunch of materials

I find it easier to just rely on the pre-tied knots on a tube. So much simpler when your fingers are cold and wet, or arthritic. I don't like the rubber stoppers as they don't pass through the guides easily without slipping on the cast.

Same here...i use the pre tied ones on a tube. I have big container of them, and prefer using drennan slip floats while drifting for less line twist. You could make them yourself tied onto a plastic straw, i just buy them.

I prefer the rubber stops. Never had a problem with them going through the eyes. You can get different sizes - light line and heavy line. I also add a bead between the float and weight or hook. It adds a bit of noise and it keeps the float from getting stuck on the small weight, jigs or hooks...which I find happens more than getting stuck on the top.

I tie a rubber band on the line, pull tight and trim right down....cheapest way to go, works great for me

ditto.....If I am using a long 10' plus rod & setting the float less than the rod length , an elastic band with one very tight loop knot & trimmed works fine .....same with fishing shallow water with shorter rods. When casting them through the small guides the little preloaded tubes work best for me . I tried the rubber ones but found they caught the smaller guides and would sometimes move & change position .....maybe not quite the right size for different types of line . (mono/braid)

The nail knot is the knot used for the pretied knots on the tube. They are easy to tie in your spare time. I've become lazy and use the Drennan neoprene stoppers. I have used the elastics also but didn't like them.

I dont use a bead myself, i use two of those preloaded tubes and a very tiny piece of float tube.

Great topic. I've used the tiny rubber stops but I too have some rods with smaller eyes and am uncomfortable with the 'doink' as the stopper hits eye on the way out. Im guessing it probably effects the casting distance too.

I'm going to try those pre-tied knots on the tube this year, as is sounds like of few of you guys prefer them.

Thanks for the responses guys !

I bought some of the pre-tied ones on the tube to use as stops. If I don't like them I'll try one of the other methods. Thank you again :)

Even the pretied need to be adjusted from time to time. They loosen and slip, but if you left 2 small tag ends you can still pull it tight again. If your slip stays on the line for a few days. Every time it dries it will loosen and need to be tightened.

Even the pretied need to be adjusted from time to time. They loosen and slip, but if you left 2 small tag ends you can still pull it tight again. If your slip stays on the line for a few days. Every time it dries it will loosen and need to be tightened.

Thanks for the heads up about this :)

Ya, and if you trim the ends too short, good luck grabbing them to re-tighten. And you can pull them too tight as well. But I still prefer them over the rubber stops. Just got to find the right tension and figure out how long to leave the tag ends. Once you get used to the knotted bobber stops you won't change back. one other thing I noticed. The ones made with pink thread are not as good as the ones made with yellow thread.

I use two of them and a dab of thread wax pull tight and trim them short...no problem.

I use two of them and a dab of thread wax pull tight and trim them short...no problem.

Now there's an idea ......waxing the thread stoppers may help keep them tight and from drying out .

Archived