Question About Carping

gunner-2

Does any one know if it is legal to fish for carp with a treble i'm trying a new bait that i seen and says i need a treble

it's a doe ball that sits in the center of the treble hook i can't seem to get the answer on line

I had a post about using trebles for drop shotting , etc. and the answer I got was yes , 4 trebles is legal . It seems wrong since there are 12 points on 4 trebles ...... I can think of a few ways to use them for catching bait fish , smelts , etc . For carp I would go as small as needed to hold the bait .

I think that it is legal. If you get caught, just say Ralph told me it was all right.

Thanks Staffman i will do that LOL but if it's not legal i think they will care if Ralph said it's ok :D

I had a post about using trebles for drop shotting , etc. and the answer I got was yes , 4 trebles is legal . It seems wrong since there are 12 points on 4 trebles ...... I can think of a few ways to use them for catching bait fish , smelts , etc . For carp I would go as small as needed to hold the bait .

I tried one in the sink unless i did something wrong the dough ball just came off so i i made up balls and tied them like a roe bag and will try that

If the bread is fresh and "doughy" it should stick to the hook well . Before tossing it into the water try squeezing it lightly with wet fingers . You can also add a floater on the hook or hair before adding the bread ball to keep it more buoyant . I made a bread punch that punches holes about 1/2 " diam. in a well flattened out slice of bread (no crust) , and I string about 4-5 "rings ,pressed together on the hair , scented or unscented .

here's a link about the pros & cons about using trebles for carp ....maybe not a good thing for carp survival in case of a break off .....

http://texaseliteangler.com/2015/02/27/reader-question-is-a-hair-rig-better-than-a-treble-hook/

imo trebles aren't needed for carp fishing and can really tear up a carps mouth, also the size and weight of the treble is counter productive as to how a carp feeds. if you must use a treble stick to a #8 or smaller. its not illegal but that doesn't change my opinion on it.

imo trebles aren't needed for carp fishing and can really tear up a carps mouth, also the size and weight of the treble is counter productive as to how a carp feeds. if you must use a treble stick to a #8 or smaller. its not illegal but that doesn't change my opinion on it.

If the bread is fresh and "doughy" it should stick to the hook well . Before tossing it into the water try squeezing it lightly with wet fingers . You can also add a floater on the hook or hair before adding the bread ball to keep it more buoyant . I made a bread punch that punches holes about 1/2 " diam. in a well flattened out slice of bread (no crust) , and I string about 4-5 "rings ,pressed together on the hair , scented or unscented .

here's a link about the pros & cons about using trebles for carp ....maybe not a good thing for carp survival in case of a break off .....

http://texaseliteangler.com/2015/02/27/reader-question-is-a-hair-rig-better-than-a-treble-hook/

Thanks guys every thing said makes sense will not be using treble not needed will find a better way like what smerch said

Gunner ,,,, I found I missed more carp bites if the hooks were not sharp enough . Use good quality hooks and keep a fine stone handy to keep them sharp enough to dig in to your thumb nail easily . When the carp "mouth" the bait a sharp hook will "hook up" better than a dull hook . I'm itching for more carping soon......I have been extra busy for the past month .....time to get the corn popping again ..... :Gonefishing:

I can't imagine carping with anything other than a hair rig. When the rig was invented around 1980 by the Brits, there were some anglers who refused to use it because they said it made catching carp too easy!

A brilliant design that took into account the way the carp feed, sucking and blowing out their food. The hook catches the fish on the way out, so as Smerch says, a sticky sharp hook is essential.

Gunner ,,,, I found I missed more carp bites if the hooks were not sharp enough . Use good quality hooks and keep a fine stone handy to keep them sharp enough to dig in to your thumb nail easily . When the carp "mouth" the bait a sharp hook will "hook up" better than a dull hook . I'm itching for more carping soon......I have been extra busy for the past month .....time to get the corn popping again ..... :Gonefishing:

Agree with the sharp hook i have found that the carp are not very active this year at least not were im fishing i see them i know there out there just not hitting but when you do get them on

man what a fight .But even the cats or bowfin at night nothing and put a lot of time in for them had some hits but no hook ups don't get it had my boat out there yesterday and the water depth

is 12ft that's good for the Welland river and lot's of carp there but just not biting just going to keep at it it's just nice being out there

I can't imagine carping with anything other than a hair rig. When the rig was invented around 1980 by the Brits, there were some anglers who refused to use it because they said it made catching carp too easy!

A brilliant design that took into account the way the carp feed, sucking and blowing out their food. The hook catches the fish on the way out, so as Smerch says, a sticky sharp hook is essential.

Ya i like the hair rig as well thats all i fish carp with but not having any luck lately i thought i would try something else the bait i was going to try was a 5 min bait something you can whip up as you fish

you throw on a treble but i don't like to fish with a treble hook unless it's on a lure it did't work out for me any ways so back to the hair rig your right it was a brilliant design .

Ya i have did the same thing covering a hook with corn it does work well the only problem i'm having is getting

carp to hit so i want'ed to change things up and use another bait that called for a treble but after talking to you guys

i will stay away from that

you can still fish a doughball with a regular hook say a daiichi or owner in # 1 or 1/0, just make consistency of your dough firmer with a binder like flour and keep your weight on the smaller side and it should cast fine. I don't fish dough but have fished cornmeal on the hook in the same manner with great success. this is many years ago before I got into the euro styles and bait set up. I often wonder if my success rate was better with cornmeal as I banked tons of carp at the pickering nuke plant before 911.

While I agree the hair rig does work, a hook or two loaded with corn works just as well.

That's all I use.

The last time Smerch and I fished for carp we both caught about eight carp a piece :)

:Gonefishing:

Catch this show called 'Chilly on Carp' on World Fishing Network. Its rarely on but that is where I first found interest in carp fishing. The host is a pioneer in this big debate and how he fishes is amazing. He uses bait I have never seen around here and his methods are fantastic and make sense. We all use corn, I see him using red maggots! on a hair and a PVA bag to boot. I think the PVA bag is the perfect chum method. I have never tried it but it looks really cool.

I started on the slip sinker rig with corn on a hook. But the hair rig is fantastic and I wont go back to the original rig.

ALL THIS TALK ABOUT CARPING HAS ME EXCITED!

I have done well over the years with a breadball on a salmon egg/roe bag hook ... or your simple green giant peaches and cream corn fresh out of the can ... never tried anything too fancy, tried to make my own doughballs once and it was an epic failure ... but why change what works when you were averaging 4 or 5 carp an hour ... unfortunately that spot is now closed off.

I have done well over the years with a breadball on a salmon egg/roe bag hook ... or your simple green giant peaches and cream corn fresh out of the can ... never tried anything too fancy, tried to make my own doughballs once and it was an epic failure ... but why change what works when you were averaging 4 or 5 carp an hour ... unfortunately that spot is now closed off.

isn't that the way of it you fish a spot for years and one day it's gone the one thing hunting and fishing have in common

isn't that the way of it you fish a spot for years and one day it's gone the one thing hunting and fishing have in common

Blows me away the number of fishing spots closed over the last 30 years. All this water around Niagara, and

fences put up, access denied, trespassing signs installed. So many restrictive laws and regulations....

Land of the free ??? NOT SO MUCH !!!

Many spots I fished years ago are now closed . They use the word " liability" to close off "dangerous waters" ....and maybe the garbage situation has some bearing on it also . I could pinpoint many spots throughout Niagara on a map that I fished often....some in the new Welland Ship Canal where I have caught walleye , silvers , smallies, carp , and tons of drum . Port Weller , just below lock one was a great shore fishing spot ! If they say the water was dangerous , they better close off Port Dalhousie as well and all shore fishing on the Niagara River .

Young Yakker.......some guys like to use the hair rig with a non sliding 2 -4 oz. weight (bolt rig) . I will give it a try where there is current or algae on the bottom to help keep the sliding sinker weight from rolling on bottom collecting algae and covering up the bait . I'm also going to try cooked macaroni with something "smelly" inside lol

Smerch let me know when ur taking the macaroni out. Sounds yummy. Lol

would you like fries with that ?? :) I saw a guy catch a smallie at Port Dal. with a piece of French fry . I piece of macaroni with a swab of fishy cat food inside should attract the carp , or some cats for sure . I'll take a good portion of mac. & if the fish don't like it , I'll take a slice of Italian bread & have a cheap shore Cronzlunch .

would you like fries with that ?? :) I saw a guy catch a smallie at Port Dal. with a piece of French fry . I piece of macaroni with a swab of fishy cat food inside should attract the carp , or some cats for sure . I'll take a good portion of mac. & if the fish don't like it , I'll take a slice of Italian bread & have a cheap shore Cronzlunch .

Throw your left over corn in and wa la goulash :smiley_campfire-1:

yea one problem with slip sinkers is they roll around if the current is rough. Just go bigger I guess.

Half cooked macaroni on a hair sounds interesting. Definitely wouldnt fall off and you could flavour it during the cooking process. Anything cheap a carp will eat! I will probably never buy that expensive corn on the bait shops anymore. Regular cheap corn works as good if not better.

There are spots that have closed on me and all the signs make me sad. Might just go in the kayak anyway and be sneaky

Archived