Carp Day

smerchly

Nice day to try for carp ! I wanted to try a spot at Martindale near the GRT and try pack bait & puff corn . The short hill was thick with tall weeds & I needed to open up a spot to fish from the bank . Conditions looked great for carp .....so I chummed the spot with some pack bait ( cream corn & oats) & proceeded to get my gear ready for the first cast . Just as I was baiting up I hear some voices (kids) ....low & behold , here come two small rowing shells with 2 boys in each ,rowing right over my chummed spot , 6' from the tip of my rod .....then comes a lady in a 12' tinny with a motor ....sees me , & says , "oops ...sorry " , and all 3 boats continued into the very shallow water through the lilly pads . I immediately packed up & headed to CDP to try the pond .

I gave the pond a couple of hours & the baitfish were breaking water and a cormorant & kingfisher were dining on them .....and the only fish interested in my puff corn were the baitfish .....got a few pictures as always , but no bragging shots today ........

...this kingfisher out fished me .....

SAM_6281.JPG

...the "usual" garbage left by the mentally challenged.....I found a 2 gal. plant container to take the garbage to the nearest garbage barrel about 60 yds. away ....

SAM_6277.JPG

....something going on at the park .....new signs , a spot for parking ? ...gate taken down , only a chain across the roadway into the park .......

SAM_6285.JPG

.....new signs with bags over the top ....

SAM_6288.JPG

This road has been closed for over 3 years .....looks like it may open soon with some strict new rules .....

.....l could see some guys over yonder were getting a few pike from the harbour at T.O...... :)

SAM_6287.JPG

Temps were ideal for getting out today. Some nice pics there.

I was cruising the Grand today, Dunnville, Cayuga, York, and Caledonia.

Only saw a few fishing, and nothing caught.

Lets get out in the Pal, and see if we can get rid of the white stripe.

Cats or pike, let get them.

:Gonefishing:

Temps were ideal for getting out today. Some nice pics there.

I was cruising the Grand today, Dunnville, Cayuga, York, and Caledonia.

Only saw a few fishing, and nothing caught.

Lets get out in the Pal, and see if we can get rid of the white stripe.

Cats or pike, let get them.

:Gonefishing:

Dan , the white stripe has gotten so wide the skunk looks like an albino ...... :dunno:

I am so excited that the gate is down! They must have finally repaired the road that was falling apart into the lake probably from erosion. I love driving right to the fishing spots! All day fishing affair is in order!!

Whenever I go past fellow fishermen in my kayak I always go as far away from rod tips as possible. I even ask if I may cross. Some people have no respect.

The gate is down but there's a chain across the entrance . The road was repaired last year and the lake was banked with more big rocks . Some of the signs say ...." Dogs must be leashed" ..."No Smoking in Park " ....." No Charcoal Fires " ... ( wood okay ?)

SAM_6289.JPG

Think I'll do a Gibby trip tomorrow ......I'm getting desperate .......

I haven't been out for a while been getting my boat camo up and re reeding my boat blind .but the carp should be hitting good soon no getting

ready for the cooler weather ? Ihave to make some time and get out to before the end of Sept then there won't be any time for any thing.good luck smerch

I haven't been out for a while been getting my boat camo up and re reeding my boat blind .but the carp should be hitting good soon no getting

ready for the cooler weather ? Ihave to make some time and get out to before the end of Sept then there won't be any time for any thing.good luck smerch

The cooler weather should get the carp stuffing their faces Gunner . Hopefully they will start soon ! I will have some pack bait , puffs , and some maize to try there . I have a hat-trick skunkeroo going for me ..hope I can change that tomorrow ! :th_fudd: .... :skunk:

Well , it was a slow day today as I tried Gibby at the Beaverdams area .....lots of signs posted saying "No Trespassing " ( a lot of good spot posted now)....I tried an old spot , using pack bait (can corn/oats) for chum , and puffed corn/oats on the hook . ...lots of minnows breaking the surface . I got a few small nibbles ....likely small bait fish -sunfish etc. After 2 hrs of nothingness I tried another spot with no weed beds nearby.....same scene , lots of bait fish (minnows) ....they swarmed over a few crumbs of oats I tossed at them !

...hard to get a good shot with clouds & reflection .....if you look at the center there are about 10 minnows after the oats . ( had to play with the Picasa editing to see the minnows) Water visibility was about 12" ....

SAM_6311.JPG

I'm sure this bird I saw a few times was young eagle ( no white head) . I had to use the movie mode in my pocket camera and zoom in on it ....then I used the snapshot mode to get a picture .....not the best , but the best I can do when in flight ....

SAM_6297.jpg

Oh , did I break my skunk today ??

Just as I was packing up , the rod bent more than usual and I took a chance and set the hook . It took off like a rocket for about 100 ft. ,then headed straight into shore on my right side , then headed right at me as I cranked the spinning reel as fast as my left hand could go ....It was an awesome scrapper for the size of it ....weighed in at 12.5 lbs . That made my day !!

SAM_6307.JPG

That was my 4th trip for carp lately and I didn't see many jumping anywhere . The water is still warm and they may be in deeper water . I may give Jordan a go tomorrow ....not sure if corn is better or the pack baits .... Forgot to mention the carp I caught took the maize corn on the hair with 2 small kernels from the cream can corn on the hook (for extra enjoyment) :)

• 5 weeks later...

Another Gibby day .... decided to try grated bread & puffed corn ( dipped in canola ). First carp about 30 min. later , headed directly to shore and and back out again ...great fighter ......weighed an even 16 lbs .

Second carp ......same as first one ...headed to shore and held tight to the shoreline .....until it caught up in some brush roots ! I couldn't free it and access was very restricted , so I had to wrap the 20# braid around a stick & try to free it....no go & I could feel the carp was still there . The line snapped & I lost about 40' of line . I tried to access the spot through thick brush & sharp rose vines but did not see any sign of the fish ....hope it frees itself . I hate that !! That branch WILL be gone ....soon !

here's the beast ,caught at about 9:30 am......

SAM_6422.JPG

...I came home with a bunch of bananas , back bacon & side bacon from Big Reds .....wife was happy ! :santa:

Good job on the carp Bill. Been a while since I hooked into those mini torpedos.

Big reds has a good variety of foods there and the bacon is the best. Neighbor gets me

a couple lbs when he goes there. The times I have been there the place is always

packed. Some good deals there.

Good job smerch is the bite picking up at all? i will have to take Sundays now and get out there seen lots of carp

canoeing to my hunting grounds yesterday had one slam into the canoe as i was going to my spot in the dark

scared the crap out of me lots of fish there might have to take the rod with me and fish wile the ducks are not flying

way to go on your carp

The bite is getting better gunner , I hooked into 4 carp at Gibby , all over 12 lbs . The one I lost yesterday was probably at least 40 lbs .! :pardon: The maize worked for 2 carp & the grated bread & puff corn for 2. Jordan is loaded with gobies and steal your reg. corn or puff corn & the carp don't seem to be there , not much sign of them jumping . No sign of gobies at Gibby , but lots of minnows breaking water ...and the gills will peck at the corn .

Dan , that was my first trip to B.Reds , was totally impressed with their meat selection .....and you actually buy bacon by the pound (455 grams) not 375 grams like the crap the big stores sell !! You can also buy an 11 lb. box for $40 of GOOD bacon . And yes it was busy ....I will ask them what day of the week is the best for old retired folks .

Looks like a good spot for a variety of fish . The bottom must be rocky ....get hung up a lot ? .....no problem with gobies ? Places where there's a current , like the 12 Mile Cr, I sometimes use a 2 oz.weight & bolt rig ....no good if gobies are present , or small fish pecking at the bait . Nice mirror there bud ! :Gonefishing:

Ya its back in the bush too i was singing bell weights we had to use like a an ounce and a half to get it from moving and drop shot set up it the hook on a snare line the only way to get them to bite i relized after my buddy was getting all the fish o switched over to his set up and ten mins later fish on there were a ton of rocks as long as u didn't stop on the retrieve you where good i like to put weaker line on the weights so it will snap off if it gets hung up defintly donated a cpl ounces of lead

The mirror was a bonus buddy got it to shore I've only seen pics of them.on here so i told him what it was and he wanted even more we forgot the net of coarse and when we got it to the rocks the line snapped i quickly went to tail grab her but missed and almost fell in off the bank put my hand out to brace my self and what do u know the line was wrapped around my fingers and i got er in i took half the credit on that fish lol

Archived