Catching Fish In Fall? (Also Map Of Where I Caught Stuff) :)

RaedwulfFisher

Well I've gotten the hang of what it takes to catch bass in the summer..now it's a whole new game it seems. Getting a lot harder to catch them.

I've read up on how they like to find deeper spots where there's some warm pockets..so I figured cast far and deep.. (lake gibson shore fishing at end of collier)

The lillypads are almost completely gone and the water is cold to the touch(not sure exact temperature)

So I figure the texas rigged worm I was using before would be perfect...it goes to the bottom..its a slow retrieve..but since it's been a lot cooler there's been a lot less fish biting it. So now I'm looking back in my arsenal...

Just want to know what your guys thoughts are on fall fishing..what works best for you.

ALSO..I was told crappie where abundant in lake Gibson years ago..and was told they're practically impossible to find anymore in Gibson. Well where I've been fishing (end of collier road) I caught a white crappie. I've never caught one before so it was a surprise and pretty cool. Also saw a dead on in the same area.

some_stuff.png

It looks like you have been having some fun catching a variety of fish .....congrats on the big bass (large mouth) ? What version of Google maps are you using ? The newest "updated" version I have is crap .

It was a large mouth yes :) been having lots of fun. I could fish all day into the late evening everyday and never get bored of it. Unfortunately..got to go back home to work..trying to squeeze in as much time as I can fishing before it gets too cold. One thing I'm not a fan of is ice fishing..I love the warm summer and calm waters. Last couple days haven't produced anything :( so just popped on a bobber with a worm and catch a bunch of sunfishes :P

I fished Port Dal. yesterday ....got a nice smallie on a 3" minnow , and got two pike on the float rod .

Both pike were monsters .......caught about 10 minutes apart ...same size approx .

I would estimate them at a good five to six ounces each !! :bb2:

SAM_6484.JPG

Good report RF. Those ponds can produce some amazing fish. I find each season

requires different approaches. Just keep changing up as needed. Minnows also

produce down there at times.

Nice markings on that juvenile Smerchly.

Since i close by I'm fishing the same spots as you are. Generally I avoid the left side where the tubes are, to many people fishing there. I have caught fish using a dropshot, senkos, simbait, swimjigs, creature bait, slug-go is one of my favourites. I've also used a lipless crankbait, a silver and blue spoon. Versitility is key.

Show them something different all the time.

There are lots of carp in those waters ....don't see many people fishing for them , also lots of baitfish in there . I was looking for minnows today at Port .....seems strange that they are not in there ! I may need to go to the River for my winter bait this year .....

I took the ultra light rod and used salties today at Port Dal.....was hoping to get a few perch for supper , but no minnows-no perch . All I got for my 2 hrs. of fishing was a 3" gobie , two 5" dink perch and a beautiful largemouth bass .

beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...... B)

SAM_6489.JPG

There you go smerch one for the wall lol haven't tried for carp yet this fall or had any time for hunting to busy that is a cool looking bass and pike you got there

even the little guys are trying to fatten up for the winter.I have to make some time for my self will corn work this time of year for carp? have to give it a try

Yes ,easy mount for the wall Gunner .....just sew up the skin and squeeze in a tube of Poly Filla ! :rolleyes:

To answer your question about using corn this time of year .......I caught 4 nice carp at Jordan last Oct .29 , using corn . The gobies are thick this year so I would use maize corn or mix canned corn with one floating corn from the tackle store .

.....one from Jordan Oct. 29 , 2014.......can corn on hair rig.....

SAM_5224.JPG

@Smerch I was just talking to my gf the last time we went fishing about how I used to catch those tiny little bass at Lake Scugog (port perry) and she I showed her a picture she thought it was adorable. Funny just a couple days after and you post a pic of a wee bass! :D They're so adorable..

Also I've never caught carp before. I dunno I never was really interested in catching those fish. I had one on my line once and it pulled straight and slow like a freight train. This was at lake Scugog where you see them splashn around everywhere in the fall and they get huuuuge. I miss Lake Scugog..full of LM and Muskie..I could count all the musky I've caught on one hand so whenever it happens it's a huge thrill. When I heard Musky AND pike were in Gibson I was foaming at the mouth..needless to say I haven't really been targeting them. All the musky I've caught before were from big spinnerbaits when I was targeting bass in Scugog. I figured eh if I land one I land one. I find it strange though that both musky/pike live in Gibson. Gibson isn't very large and Musky/Pike are both top predators. I suppose it makes sense that they dominate their own areas of the lake. I also find it funny have I haven't seen any...minnows..just gobies. They're EVERYWHERE!

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to share the lures I tried and what I found was working..showing which lure caught what..clearly the big plastic worm won..by a long shot. It's funny when I used to fish lake scugog I'd catch bass all day on a yellow spinner...it caught me some on gibson but they must be used overkill on the lake or something. I do notice most people I saw fishing were either using top water baits or spinnerbaits...likely why the finesse presentation does so well

effectivelures.jpg

I usually look for minnows breaking the surface to know they are there . I keep some oats or half dry slice of bread with me and toss a pinch into the water a foot or two from the shore . I slightly wet the crumbs/oats and compress slightly to make the pieces sink and scatter to the bottom . If minnows are there they will come from nowhere ......

some nice looking baits there ......maybe try Senkos for bass . I like the J13 Rapalas for both pike and musky .

Good thought Smerch! I think the smaller side of the ponds must be loaded with bass compared to the bigger side where all the houses are..if you notice in the morning hours they are jumping practically every 30 seconds..they're mostly breaking the surface feeding more towards the middle of the pond juuuust out of casting distance.

Does anyone here know how deep these areas are? Is there a drop off there?

I was looking for a topography map of the lake but can't find anything..if anyone has a water depth map of Gibson I'd love to see it

I caught two large mouth there Sat afternoon. One on a Jackall craw and the other a swimbait, I also lost a big boy twice on a texas rigged senko. I heard it was deep in parts but no idea the actual depths.

It looks like you have thrown the whole tacklebox out there. Is that a slugo in the top right? I've caught 3 Bass on a 3" slug-go. I use a natural minnow looking one.

keep casting they are out there.

I got this Muskie in there last year.

10888878_10152469550420946_2498697058598

@Jay the top right was a berkley shiner :)

They look so much like minnows in the water it's crazy but never did get anything on it.

Also what part of Gibson did you catch the muskie at? Was it the ponds at the end of collier?

@Smerch you're not the only guy with 'one for the wall'

Check out this monster I got today.. :clapping:

CRs5j_W_WEAAp9_GQ.jpg

Jay I found this one spot where perch and bass were schooled up. I was trying to catch sunfish with worm and bobber along the shore but after the last 2 days were so cold I wasn't getting anything. I went along the entire shore at the ponds and got not a single bite..except for that one spot. Caught a few perch and a few little bass on a worm within maybe 10 minutes..then gone again!

I literally have NO experience fishing in cold weather..even when I did fish years ago I only fished the summer time so this is all new to me..the fish are definitely much harder to catch..the water is so cold to the touch..I'm guessing they're trying to find warm spots in the water but I have no idea where the deep spots are ya know..

Archived