Pike Leaders

Jig Head

I'm trying to prevent pike from being bitten off, but at the same time I don't want the leader to be big and flashy. I know there are black, silver/steel, and fluorocarbon leaders, but I don't know which type I should use...what's everybody's go to leader?

I started using Florocarbon leaders last year. Love them. Can't see them under water like a steel leader. I caught a 36" musky using them last year, it held up great, didn't bite off. 

2 hours ago, yakfish said:

I use 30# flouro for my pike leaders now. Works great for me!

Ditto ....been using P-Line 30# flouro  for over 5 yrs.......no beak offs . From what I read it's the smaller pike that have the sharpest sides to their teeth .....but I haven't checked that out with my fingers ..... I use pliers to tighten the Trilene knot or loop knot , then burn the tab with a lighter to make a little knobbie thingy ...be careful not to burn the good side  .

90 % of my fishing is targeting pike and musky. Use steel leaders most of the time. I find presentation of the lure is key. Pike like to ambush. I do use flouro the odd time fishing the gin clear upper Niagara.

I should try giving fluorocarbon a shot than! Always worried it won't be strong enough but these testimonials have me convinced to use them

I fish gin clear waters for pike and musky, i dont bother with flurocarbon, these fish are not line shy, and yes i have been bitten off on fluro, 50lb and 80lb and have a friend who has with 150lb, they can bite through it. I can buy 175lb wire for $9 for a 1/4lb' spool vs $70 for 25yards of the same lb test fluro.

Not only is the flouro invisible, but its far more abrasion resistive! May24 my little sis caught a OOS 38 inch muskie that had to weigh in the 15lb range on 8lb flouro! Was rubbing against rocks and fish rolled in the line as well, was quite the battle! 1 she'll never forget. I use flouro or braid with flouro leader on every rod!

Archived