Scuba diver at Queenston ramp

boogaloo

I went down to Queenston today and there was an individual diving right out of the boat ramp. He looked to be about 60 years old. Probably looking for tackle. The thing is that #1) He was all alone with no "buddy" support. #2) He did not have any dive flag out. #3) He was in an area with dangerous currents. #4) There were fisher people casting there. and #5) In "my opinion" he showed a great lack of common sense and poor judgement. I wanted to say something to him when he got out of the water but I just let it slide. You can't fix stupid.............Daniel

Jesus, that takes a solid set to decide to dive queenston. Silly he didn't have a dive flag(is that not against some sort of law) all it would have taken was one guy coming in to the launch to take that diver out.. 

41 minutes ago, jordanl said:

Jesus, that takes a solid set to decide to dive queenston. Silly he didn't have a dive flag(is that not against some sort of law) all it would have taken was one guy coming in to the launch to take that diver out.. 

I dont know if it is law ... but when you opt to get certified they push all the ideals associated with enjoying the sport safely ...

Queenston does take some brass balls though since you have fishermen on shore, fishermen in boats, pleasure craft, and such.

I have had a similar issue with this guy he actually follower my lure cause he said he though it was a broken off one and when he came up I mentioned how dumb he was for not looking out for himself and the fact he had no buddy system or buy or flag active drift active boat launch active dock only a matter of time.

No doubt a float and flag can be a pain , and I always viewed it as a mixed bag safety wise. (had the line knock my reg out of my mouth, catch on fin straps, and even pop my tank loose off my BC) . When you do a little shore dive searching for tackle and old bottles, it's fairly easy to tie your float to an old anchor you recovered, and  toss it in the general area you are going to work. it might not be right on you, but at least people know there is a diver down.

Now, I feel the need to vent on other activities at boat launches. Boat launches are for launching boats, people. There are going to be trailers backing, and vehicles moving about in various directions. People need to respect this as the primary use. Golf courses are pretty, but we  don't picnic on the 4 hole fairway, right?    

Buffalo small boat harbor has a bike path running right across where you back to launch, same with Niawanda and some of the Niagara parkway launches. Somebody's going to get hit. If a Scuba diver is impeding the use of the launch, he shouldn't be there. Same with fishing. You shouldn't expect a boater to avoid your line, or pick another dock because you are fishing from one.

And those pier heads we all fish from, Those are not salmon piers. They are there to protect the harbor entrance. I don't know how many times I've seen some drunk pier fisherman yell at someone taking a boat out because his illegal tight line set up was stretching across the mouth and he didn't want to reel it in. I am really surprised we still have access to them. Sorry for the rant.B)

25 minutes ago, yakfish said:

It seems more and more people are entitled and have no respect for each other.

Amen to that ,  and will add respect for the environment could use a boost  ........

I was pulling my boat out at Queenston launch some years ago and a couple divers came up behind me. Surprised to say the least. Crazy place to dive. Talked to them and they said they go to the bottom - 100'+deep just upriver. Even with weight belts currents would pick them up and move them around.

Dogg

Archived