Big day last minute plans.

RyannLarge

Decided that tomorrow after I give blood I'm going carp fishing down port area. I bought four kilograms of whole kernel corn and enough supplies to make two or three pounds of boilies. It's a slightly sweeter mix with some crunch mixed in and they're as bright redish orange as I can make em (we didn't have yellow colour). I have nine hair rigs pretied majority of which are flourocarbon but a few are made with braid. I should be out from noon until about 8pm. I should also mention I have about 2kg of pack bait in the freezer. Where do you all buy your maize? I gave TSC a ring and they don't have any.

When I'm back home in Niagara for a weekend, I usually go to Minor Bros up between Grimsby and Hamilton.  Here in Brampton we don't have much in terms of feed stores so I'll stop at Queensville Feeds up by Newmarket. 100 pounds of corn for 12$. Lasts me most of the year. 

TSC on Bunting Rd. didn't have any which was a bummer. I ended up not catching anything not even a line bump. Left after four hours. My buddy and I were putting away the rods and a carp jumped right where we were fishing. 

The carp were hungry this morning .....the carp rod got a good workout !  First hit lasted all of 3 seconds & the line went limp . When I lifted my line to check my bait I think a pike took a shot a my new shiny 1.5 oz. egg sinker ( pike like eggs ? )  It cut the 30# braid at the egg sinker & left the line very frayed . My 1st carp got off after about 2 minutes ....got into the weeds &  "spit de hook" . Second carp snagged me up for 15 minutes in heavy weeds ....wouldn't budge ! I wrapped my 30# braid around a stick & pulled hard ......low & behold I pulled it out with a 12# carp still hooked !  Hooked into a good one about noon , peeled  off a lot of line , a "reel" screamer , came in a 19 lbs . (photo) . As I was packing up about 1 pm. another hard hit .....a nice spunky 14#  carp to end the day . Going to rig up some 30# fl.carbon for a leader next trip .....braid getting frayed too much on the rocks-zebras .  Today's treat was pineapple- maize delight !  :Gonefishing:

drHDWOzN5XKhBcU2oPO2Fa3lg7odSiMT53Bo4_JQ

Nice job dealing with the weeds, Smerch!  Carp are the absolute best at making a break right for the weeds and then digging themselves in.  I read how some English carp guys will sometimes put a little slack in the line and place there rod back on the rest and see if the fish doesn't come out after a bit.

And to the OP, Ryann that carp added insult to injury.  lol  Gives you an excuse to go back and even the score!

Yes Mike ,  the buggers will head right back to shore and get into the weeds or brush ....lost a nice one at Beaverdams in the weeds-branches last year . I did let my line slack off for a few minutes , but she was too smart for me .... :tease: !  Those weeds are tough sob's and my hair rig is 20 lb. mono ,which held up under the pressure I needed to haul her out of her fortress . I just rigged up with 3 ft. of 30# FC  to the hair rig .....that should help stop the fray at the 1.5 oz. egg sinker .

Slow bite today ,,,,  lost a small one at the shore rocks ,  but got this huge one later .  Forgot my net , but thanks to Dan the man ......he landed this 34 lb. monster .........well ,  it looks likes a monster in the net ,   but she weighed in at 17 pounds  .....lovely little lady .......:Gonefishing:

b35PWLANRFwyindSTMhuJjsEcupUfigKYIZEnEHv

Some  weeds are very tough . If you use 50 # braid/mono to bulldog the carp through the weeds , it may rip the mouth on the fish . I caught one 2 days ago with a chunk missing from it's lip . It may be better to wait it out for 10 minutes or so and allow the carp to take some slack line back to open water .  I try to get the carp to the surface as quickly as possible but the big girls seem to have a problem with that .......

• 3 weeks later...

Great info there smercho .....catch any today ?? 

Well ...yes and no ......landed one and lost one  ....call it  1 -4 -2  B)

Strange bite today ...could have sworn all the bites were dink perch . They wouldn't commit and take the maize ,so both were hooked when the tip of the rod bent slightly .....then they took off like rockets !  For 10 -12 lb. carp they put out a surprisingly good battle . 

Water temps have warmed up and put them off a tad ....but after looking at the approaching cold front , I'm sure they will soon come back to the table with a big appetite for my famous pineapple maize souffle . :Gonefishing:

Ha !  You didn't see my little black & white kitties lately 'night fisher' .  :unsure:

Also have been losing a few lately , no break offs , just getting off the hook after a few seconds ... Maybe they like to roll in my sweet pineapple corn to attract the ladies , something like a dog rolling in dead fish ......A while back I hooked a big carp in the cheek .....my arm still squeaks from that long battle......

Hey Smerch, regarding working carp back through weeds, I was reading a book by British carp fisherman Jim Shelley. When he has to bring carp back in through weeds, he plays the fish out open water.  Once he feels he can bring the fish to the top, he then brings the fish back up over the weeds.  I think this is a version of what you've been doing but I thought I'd bring it up as I'll no doubt be giving it a try myself at some point.

Well Mike , today I was able to get 2 carp to the top of the water as they headed for shore to the weed line . One went over the weeds & right into shore where I managed to keep it between the shore & weeds to land it . The other headed back out until I could bring it in over the weed line to the net ,,,,,but these were just kids ....about 10 lbs .!  Big mama may not be so accommodating ....hoping those weeds will die off soon , or I could hook a rake up to some rope ......:Gonefishing:

Archived