First Time Out

verado

Made it out for perch for the first time on Sat.  Less then half a dozen boats out from Abino but not surprising since we sat in the rain for almost four hours but at least the lake was flat calm. Managed about 20 but a couple of the boats were doing much better. Extremely light hits, you really had to pay attention. I'm keeping my excess minnows aerated and lightly fed with goldfish flakes. So far not a single one has floated but I am wondering if I can use city tap water to change the water or if chlorine etc. will kill them?

I prefer to get a couple 5 gal pails of clean lake water & change the water . If you have an aeration stone going they should last a while if you can keep them cool . I have used tap water , but I fill a large Rubbermaid tote (68 lt.) & let it stand for 2 days to allow the chlorine to evaporate/neutralize ) .  I keep minnows/chubs  all winter....just released about 5 doz. in the pond from where they came I also feed them gold fish flakes ....break them up more , but need to siphon off the crud periodically .

Like smerchly said, if you let the tap water stand a day or so it's fine to use. Can also feed them stale bread. Just break it up with your fingers and drop it in. Don't put too much in though or you will end up needing to clean the water more often

11 minutes ago, kgm said:

Like smerchly said, if you let the tap water stand a day or so it's fine to use. Can also feed them stale bread. Just break it up with your fingers and drop it in. Don't put too much in though or you will end up needing to clean the water more often

I also have a separate tap at the kitchen sink which has a great filter . It removes 99 % of the chlorine  . It takes 5 minutes to fill a 5 gal , pail but can be used immediately for minnows .  I bought some minnows from Peter's & put into a heavy clear plastic bag with the "blue water" which seemed to keep them going longer . I believe they sell this stuff at the shop .

Thanks Guys, all good suggestions. I scooped a pail of groundwater from my underground drainage system and so far after 3 days they're all still swimming right side up. Out on Erie this morning. Did all right but the guy in the boat 20 feet away from me was really pounding them. He must have caught at least 5 to every one of mine. His partner on the other side of the boat did not seem to do near as well. All of us using drop-shot rigs and minnows.

Archived