Advice needed

DNorton

Hey guys been at this whole carp thing for a good year now. Fishing pretty steady with not to much results. Only time I ever seem to get one is when I'm bobber fishing with a worm. Personal best is a mere 6#. I got tons of corn and using hair rigs now, and still no luck. Been out every night for the past week and a half with not even a sniff. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to produce more fish. Needless to say I'm getting a little frustrated. When I've caught them it's been a blast, but I've spent to many a night getting nothing at all. Just wondering what I may be doing wrong ? Am I throwing to much corn? Am I not fishing the right spots ? (I've seen carp constant at the spots I fish) or am I using the wrong bait ? My rig isn't quite right ? Any helpful insight would be fantastic. Thanks for your time. 

I'v been out few times with no fish it's not you the water conditions are not great yet it don't sound like your doing any thing wrong it's early yet you can get them now but the bite are far and few between like bigugli said be patient and before you know thing will turn. I don't think there feeding to much yet until they have spawned i'm not a 100%  sure on that i'm sure smerchly will know the answer to that but i don't think i'm that far off until the weather stables up take some time off regroup and start again it will happen just don't give up good luck the right time is coming 

I'm out every night anymore so I'm due. Lol. As I posted this. Just landed my personal best of 10#. What a monster what a fight! Omg. No picture sorry. My son was so excited and it went back in before I could pic. 

Congrats Norton !   I caught a few carp so far ,some on can corn , right on the hook and a few small carp while using worms (drop shot) . They don't have much spunk in the cold water , so I have been using my 11.5' ultra light rod (2-8#) with 8 lb. mono . ....getting a few nice bull head cats also . The water I fished is very muddy , and the cats/carp seem to sniff out the worm pieces better than the corn . It gets better as the water warms & clears up more ......another month & I'll be using the hair rigs & maize which keeps those pesky gobies from stealing the corn .

Just took my kiddo to Walmart and bought a case of corn. He's got the itch now after that one. He caught an oos smallie and was pretty upset saying he wanted to leave the bass alone. So now we're strictly corn until bass opens. What a great night! 

A whole case of corn .....I hope you take a couple spoons and have some for a shore lunch lol !  You don't need to chum much now , but later when they are hitting good , I'll use the maize corn ....55lbs. for $10 . After cooking it you get 3 times that amount ,and I use more of that for chumming . Good luck .....hope to see a picture with the "kiddo" carper holding a 20 pounder ! :Gonefishing:

feed them my friend.  Carp are easily conditioned with food.  Kind of like a dog :)

I am presently baiting a spot that I plan to fish either mid week next week or the following weekend.  I go down after work and put out bait every evening.  I don't fish.  After a few days or a week of this, the fish are in the area waiting for their food.  It does not take long for the action to start when you finally put your rig out there.

My last 2 carp were caught on worms while fishing for cats and ?? . Very muddy shallow water & a good current . At least the gobies aren't pestering my bait yet . I tried fishing Gibby for carp but didn't put a lot of time in ....no bites for 3 hrs. ....and I'm gone .

Here's an interesting article in today's paper about Asian carp . They have been checking the Grand River using the electro prods , looking for grass carp . Funny , no mention of the dozen grass carp they got a Gibson last summer .....

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/04/26/stopping-the-invasion

On 25/04/2017 at 10:16 PM, smerchly said:

A whole case of corn .....I hope you take a couple spoons and have some for a shore lunch lol !  You don't need to chum much now , but later when they are hitting good , I'll use the maize corn ....55lbs. for $10 . After cooking it you get 3 times that amount ,and I use more of that for chumming . Good luck .....hope to see a picture with the "kiddo" carper holding a 20 pounder ! :Gonefishing:

Where can I pick up some maize corn if you don't mine me.asking

6 hours ago, smatone2k said:

Where can I pick up some maize corn if you don't mine me.asking

Feed stores sell it cheap  ( $10 per 25K bag ) . I got mine at Minor Bro's in Fenwick . I cook up a large 20 liter pot full and freeze it in 2 lb. packs.....just the right amount for me for a days outing .

http://canadiansaddlery.com/location/minor-bros-farm-country-north-pelham/

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Feed stores sell it cheap  ( $10 per 25K bag ) . I got mine at Minor Bro's in Fenwick . I cook up a large 20 pot full and freeze it in 2 lb. packs.....just the right amount for me for a days outing .

http://canadiansaddlery.com/location/minor-bros-farm-country-north-pelham/

Thank you I wanted to try it out last year after watching a guy out fish me like 10 to 1 really hoping to try it this year didn't have any luck finding it but I also only looked at tsc and a place by my dads

Archived