Fishing when I can

smatone2k

Weather has defintly sucked haven't been out to much cpl times on the welland river for cats which we did pretty good with so I went out for carp twice one really cold morning with no luck about 2 weeks ago and then last night conditions defintly no in favor but it's not like I can catch fish on the couch so out wr went and had and amazing nigjt went 4 for 7 on carp and on nice kitty which is the first time I seen one come out of that spot also never targeted them there befor fishing a lake Gibson runoff also picked up my first mirror second one I seen in 2 years was weird looking almost like it was missing half its scales msyne it's not a mirror I'm almost sure it is tho

13_zps7uzrp9iv.jpeg

21_zpscvrrho82.jpeg

11_zpstspkzhy0.jpeg

photo0_zpsysue1jlx.jpeg

20170417_135601_zpsbrnk3sjf.jpg

definitely a mirror, nice little fish.

Do you want an unhooking mat?  I have a spare that I do not use.  Nothing fancy but better than fish on the rocks.  PM me you address and I'll send it to you for free.

Jeff

Congrats on the carp & channel cat , looks like you all had a great day . Using boilies ...or corn ? 

I don't take a lot of carp gear where I fish , just my rod/reel telescoping rod stand & my large 30" rubber net which I use as a mat , weigh the fish , & release it .

....speaking of nets.....they increased the price of my Lucky Strike carp net by 5 bucks and changed the center connection from aluminum to plastic .... not as strong in my opinion . I wouldn't buy this net now....  $65. + taxes

Nice to see those rare mirrors .....:Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Congrats on the carp & channel cat , looks like you all had a great day . Using boilies ...or corn ? 

I don't take a lot of carp gear where I fish , just my rod/reel telescoping rod stand & my large 30" rubber net which I use as a mat , weigh the fish , & release it .

Nice to see those rare mirrors .....:Gonefishing:

Just no name can corn set up like a drop shot works good ya where we go is a little bit of a hike try not to bring to much but when the girlfriend comes we seem to pack alot lol I wonder if your they guy I see there that out fishes me everytime lol

Ya, I find the Wally "Great Value" Peaches & Cream corn works as good a the Green Giant , and much cheaper....also buy the cream corn as well when using pack baits .  Adding one piece of rubber floating corn helps keep it off bottom a tad . It's not moi  out fishing you , been to Gibby once & got skunked....hoping to give it another try soon .....

I got out yesterday for a cpl hours waster was extremely low I sware I could have walked across the lake water was mud still managed one I hope the water levels come back soon it had to have been at least 4 feet lower had to move and try and find deeper water 

20170507_173713_zps2zgawrk2.jpg

20170507_154856_zpsmdpa2zn7.jpg

Water is up past the big rocks at the norm and where I'm standing water would be past my knees 

2 hours ago, Walleyemike said:

I have a top mix landing net I'm looking to sell if your interested, I think it reaches out around 10 feet and packs up to smaller section with case.

I may be intrested how much u looking to get

6 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

How can water there be so low while everywhere else is record high?

Water level at Gibson are low now . The lake is man made & is actually a reservoir for the hydro- gen, plants at Decew . They can control how much water is sent through the turbines to the 12 Mile Creek to Port Dalhousie which may help with the flooding there . They would  limit the flow into Gibson at the canal  ,thus keeping the water level low until levels at L.Ontario drop . This could take some time .....

On 5/8/2017 at 11:00 PM, smerchly said:

Water level at Gibson are low now . The lake is man made & is actually a reservoir for the hydro- gen, plants at Decew . They can control how much water is sent through the turbines to the 12 Mile Creek to Port Dalhousie which may help with the flooding there . They would  limit the flow into Gibson at the canal  ,thus keeping the water level low until levels at L.Ontario drop . This could take some time .....

Is this going to mess up any spawning? =\....

50 minutes ago, RaedwulfFisher said:

Is this going to mess up any spawning? =\....

You don't really think Hydro gives a damn do you?????

3 hours ago, bigugli said:

You don't really think Hydro gives a damn do you?????

It really bothers me...I'm not that educated on how fish spawn..but..I read that pike are spawning this time of year in the shallows (april/may)....so I can imagine that a lot of the eggs are pretty much toast..possibly reducing population?...

=\....

The argument will be quickly made about how most of that system isn't natural.

Has the water been low the whole time?  If yes ... then not really.  If it was deeper and the fish spawned and then dropped .... maybe but there would be a chance eggs washed down with water levels.  

Depending on temps they only need as few as 10 days for the eggs to hatch

Gibby has fluctuating water levels for years . The old bridge at Merritville  has some of the old road left behind which is sometimes under water or completely dry . It's down a little more than usual now  to control the flow to Port Dalhousie . We fished there for a few hours today ,but only the gobies were interested in biting .  Same thing with the 12 Mile Creek .....water levels constantly changing and dropping for hydro work or rowing races .Some of the side ponds get drained out completely leaving all water creatures to fend for themselves .

Archived