tagged out

Well decided to get my last tag and thought to my self every bird i have shot was with a shot gun so i dedicated this last tag to hunt with my bow after 3 days trying and having this guy not committing and strutting to his hen around 100 yards out he had no interest in one more hen mine until this morning. I made my Jake decoy into a strutting Jake with the fan from my first bird and put him with my hen decoy in a submissive pose  had 4 hens come walking by and then he came out strutting he seen my display and came running as he beat the crap out of my Jake i was able to get the bow up and took him out at 20 yards done by 6:30 another successful season with no ticks or mosquitoes weighing 23 lbs my first bird with a bow what a rush cant wait till next year. For you guys still hunting i swear if you are seeing tom but they won't commit do what i did that Tom will definitely come on a full out run another thing i did was left my call in my pocket i never made a sound i thought to my self this boy has heard me from day one and would not come in so i just let his eyes speak for him. Good luck on your hunt

43400006.JPG

Way to go, nice bird gunner! Now using a crossbow is just showing off! Ha  I am going to try to get out one morning this week but am going to stick with the shotgun. Baby steps this season, nothing fancy!

Good shooting Gunner !  It's great to have 20 lb.+ wild turkeys thriving in Ontario . I have seen many of them in fields north of Belleville (Sterling) ,and that was many years ago . In my much younger days , we hunted pheasants & grouse out your way (Silverdale) (Grassy) and also some puddle ducks ( mallards, blacks, teal , wood ducks) .....no comparison to these huge turkeys !   I'll bring the wine .....:D

Now, get that fishing rod polished up !   :Gonefishing:

Thanks guys it's been a good season but i'm glad it's over for me as i don't like to be out there with all them nasty mosquitoes and ticks been lucky this year for them darn things 

smerchly it's a sad thing that for most areas grouse are just a memory  and same with the pheasant many years ago when i started hunting turkey in the spring of the year you could hear the grouse drumming and as time went by i no longer hear them but i did hear a pheasant last week probably an escapee from someone i put new line on the rod and need to get out for some carp soon the gun is put away till fall my tow birds of 2017 hope the fall pans out just as well

43400143.JPG

43400006.JPG

Ya Gunner , the pheasants , grouse , & quail have disappeared over the years (not sure about woodcocks) , and also jack rabbits, but heard they have been increasing slowly . I think the yotes , foxes and stray cats took out a lot of those birds , and much of the old bush we hunted is now full of housing , like my back yard .....

I hope this wet weather drowned all the ticks but the skitters will be bad with water filled ponds , ditches ,etc. Glad to see you didn't get bit up this turkey season .

Fine looking birds you have there ! 

7 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Ya Gunner , the pheasants , grouse , & quail have disappeared over the years (not sure about woodcocks) , and also jack rabbits, but heard they have been increasing slowly . I think the yotes , foxes and stray cats took out a lot of those birds , and much of the old bush we hunted is now full of housing , like my back yard .....

I hope this wet weather drowned all the ticks but the skitters will be bad with water filled ponds , ditches ,etc. Glad to see you didn't get bit up this turkey season .

There is a lot of woodcock around i dont think many guys hunt them i might get back into it this year there small but very good eating i seen them every morning out there jack rabbits are coming up to but as you say very slow i never hunted them didn't like there strong taste now cottontail i can eat them all day

51 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Went for a Sunday drive last week and saw 3 pheasants. In my entire life I have only saw 2 wild pheasants, and last Sunday we saw 3. Maybe they are making a come back?  Would be nice, they are beautiful birds, would love to have a decent population for hunting them. 

Guest brookie slayer

I really enjoy hunting woodcock and find there still is a healthy population...problem is decreasing lands and I've found that there's alot of anti hunting views nowadays from the younger generation that take over their parents properties... always fun though to watch the dog work and yes underated table fare

Archived