Bowfishing Carp

codiehoad

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

You make gefilte fish like they make in "Little Israel"

No thanks Bruce ......I'll stick with the "Down Home" fish cakes  .....with Big Ug's Salsa on the side ..........:wub:

Why would u shoot and kill only to make it fertilizer ? I get the sport of it but how is it satisfying to shoot a carp only to kill it if your not gonna eat it? I don't understand the joy in it.... we talk about ppl or ethnicities catching and keeping everything and anything regardless of size or species and the effects it can have and yet they eat it all and waste nothing and you wanna bowfish for carp but want to know what u do with it afterwards which more likely will result in u discarding it like it's garbage after u high five your friends? Obviously it's legal along with many other questionable things but how is it rewarding or even ethical? 

Being a carp angler myself , I have to agree with your comments W.C. . I find it strange that carp anglers take much more care releasing their fish than what I've seen happen at trout derbies ,etc, etc. It is upsetting for the dedicated carp anglers that the MNR actually allows bow hunting for carp when they know in many cases the carp will be discarded  and left to rot and stink (somewhere) . Boo on the mnr for this ! One tends to lose some respect for them sometimes.....

But ....since it's "legal" to shoot a target as big as a barn door and considered a "sport" , I cannot blame those who choose to target these big slow moving fish , according to their ethics...It ain't a sport in my eyes but ,  sera, sera ......:dunno:

note......check my last "rain" post to see what some salmon anglers do with their fish guts......

I seen that smerch and your right it's awful and unnecessary. I don't understand why ppl do what they do. And I'm not against bowfishing I'm just against the killing of something for nothing more than pure sport. I mean I don't like to eat pike nor will I ever keep one by choice. However if one chokes down my j13 firetiger and connot be saved/revived I'm not gonna throw him in the bushes I'm gonna put him in the live well, fillet him and extra season him and eat it anyways or give it to someone who will eat and enjoy. 

I'm not dumping on you but codiehoad you are going to read these comments and think to you self it's just a carp and i don't know  if you have ever fished for them on a rod But there is no ethics in killing these fish when you have no plans on eating it but if you do plan on eating them then that is great have a blast  if you never tried fishing for them

it is a great fish for a fight  I have found that carp fishing has a lot of challenges in it and it don't stop at just catching the fish there is endless ways of making baits for this fish and at the end of the day i had fun with these fish and they all swim to fight another day 

my father always told me Never shoot anything ur not going to eat and if you catch a fish that you wont eat release it right away . always lived by them rules and told my grandsons the same . td

58 minutes ago, dwc67 said:

by that logic people must eat a lot of crow,ground hog, coyote, raccoon and prairie dog .

You know dwc67 that is a good point and we do not have the right to be telling coiehoad what he can do as long as he is within the law who are we to tell him no don't do it. this is his right

rather we like it or not thats the problem these days to many people telling us what to do or what to say not getting into politics just like it's fine not to agree with this type of fishing

or agree with me on saying this i'm sure that we all in one way or another killed a fish and didn't eat it the law says we can bowfish for carp and do not have to eat it but if you took the time and smoked the fish or cooked it in some way that is great so you can hate me for saying this but you cant read this and say there is no truth in it 

1 hour ago, dwc67 said:

by that logic people must eat a lot of crow,ground hog, coyote, raccoon and prairie dog .

Not quite a good point ....but a point none the less ....  There are circumstances why certain birds or animals are killed . Some are considered nuisances by farmers or dangerous because of where they populate and carry diseases . When farmers lose much of their crops , birds & animals to predators they take action to protect their stock . Coons , ground hogs & squirrels can damage fields & structures and some form of population control is needed . Some animals were killed for their fur . I don't think they were killed for the fun of it .  Ethical ? Ask a farmer about that word ...... Shooting a fish just for the thrill of killing it certainly depends on one's "ethical" standard I suppose ......I have killed gobies & fed them to the gulls , but don't "enjoy" doing it ......

To sum it up , there are many quotes that can be found on the www.....

" Ethics is knowing the difference what you have a right to do and what is right to do "  ( Potter Stewart )

this is a good topic as for what i have read even the M.N.R are not sure what to do about this from what i read and i must state that this was said in 2015 that it can go both ways

if the fish you are shooting are from waters that clean [lakes rivers ] then look at a guide to see if this fish is safe to eat and how much of it to eat But if fishing in waters where you think the fish would not be safe to eat you can't just kill it and leave it you must bring it home and put it in a garden so what i'm getting is you cant kill them unless you have a plan for that fish eating it or fertilizer but like it says in order for the fish to be brought home for fertilizer it has to be from waters that deems that fish not edible i can find anything from 2015 and up most likely it's because  bowfishing for carp is not a big thing in Ont. and don't know how to put this into our regs Like i said it's a good topic and feed back from both sides are great but before it becomes more than just fishing we need to take this topic out of the fishing forum 

As an "older person" I remember  when the smelts were thick in Lake E & O . At the end of my street was a pear orchard , & one day we could smell something really RANK !  The farmer had spread thousands of smelt around his small pear trees for fertilizer  (maggots for the birds) lol ..... People dug them into their gardens ......cats would dig them up !  Thousands dead of alewives would line the shores of local beaches and stink up the waters . The salmon have taken care of that problem over the years . BTW , what happens with the big salmon that are caught-released-weighed in , and the same for the big walleye from Erie ? They are edible to a certain degree , but not to be eaten on a regular basis ......We have regs.,  eating guidelines & environmental concerns, etc. .... everyone has their own interpretation -view on this....:read:

I think we can all agree that our fish today are not free of pollution i for one would not eat 20+ salmon and as far as walleye i would rather eat a 5 pound fish then a 13lb and up

i think it depends on how much home work we do on a species of fish and ask our selves how much of this fish should i eat thats the great thing about C.R we don't need to kill a fish if we feel we are not going to eat it and as far as using fish for the gardens they are just asking for unwanted animals.And what about all the unwanted fish caught in gill nets that are just thrown back in the lake?you can always tell when a boat has checked there nets as the beach is full of dead fish

This topic was started 48 hours ago and the poster hasn't replied to anything, safe to assume nothing but a troll job to sit back and watch some bickering.

Good conversation is always a good thing. Shows a bit about ourselves. As for shooting crows.prarie dogs and yotes. I do shoot yotes and I don't eat them however they r not wasted I take mine to a taxidermist he makes rugs,coats once he has enough of the same colour, or whichever he decides to do. It's really just about respecting the fish or animal regardless of how u feel about it. Rats r rats and should be killed but nothing should suffer or be wasted. 

Caught this strange looking squirrel with no hair on it's tail .......took it to a location where it would find some fine garbage to dine on .....B)

tNGOgI9FGeDF2RQXn4jV_nZ6Znh65oJ9PY60pBq4

imo carp are a harmful invasive fish. they destroy underwater plants and have no real predator to keep the numbers down. i have seen on forums guys told to chum a weedy "swim" for a few weeks and the carp will uproot all the plants and clear it out for them. that is not a good fish

other then carp fisherman no one really has a use for them. i dont bow fish but i dont have any problem at all with bow fishing for them.

i enjoy fishing for them but they are vermin

One man's meat is another man's poison .....Some people eat carp , catfish and suckers.... and others eat caviar .....

Carp are a delicacy in many countries and some people eat them here locally . If we check it out we may find other species that ply our lakes are also invasive species .I'm no expert but do bottom feeding fish help keep the lakes clean ? Too many fish of one kind may be detrimental to other species as well . Pike and crappies for example are not wanted in the Kawartha Lakes . I enjoy fishing for many species and  salmon doesn't appeal to me for food .

Today was another scrumptious haddock dinner !  :D

On 5/16/2017 at 4:31 PM, dwc67 said:

imo carp are a harmful invasive fish. they destroy underwater plants and have no real predator to keep the numbers down. i have seen on forums guys told to chum a weedy "swim" for a few weeks and the carp will uproot all the plants and clear it out for them. that is not a good fish

other then carp fisherman no one really has a use for them. i dont bow fish but i dont have any problem at all with bow fishing for them.

i enjoy fishing for them but they are vermin

Exactly, an invasive species like gobies and zebra mussels.  The ecosystem would be better without them. Everyone freaks out when a Grass Carp is caught locally, Common Carp aren't  any better.

Yes Dave , I have to agree about carp doing damage in certain places I've read about , like Coot's Paradise in Hamilton .  But I have to wonder about other places where I have caught carp back in the early 60's . I caught a 20 lb.carp at the Burnt River ( walleye water) & a guy got one 35 lbs in Pigeon Lake . Fishing continues there today . Obviously , carp have been in Ontario for many decades . Some of the spots I fish have plenty of carp and many large weed beds which don't seem to change much over the years . If the carp are destroying the environmental aspects of our lakes & rivers (12 Mile) I would expect the MNR to tell us to not release them as they do with grass carp . If the MNR wanted to reduce the number of carp , I would comply with their ruling . I think it is a complicated aspect of fishing and I'm certainly no expert .  We have swans that apparently do damage to the eco system as well ......and thanks to free trade with the world we can expect many more harmful invasive fish , bugs and plants etc. . That has cost us billions of pesos of which we pay for through tax money.

edit .....Dave ... looking at the Spec tonight , I see a write up about carp reduction at Coote's . I can't read the article since I'm not a paying reader .....B)

Archived