Smoked rainbow trout

mford

Anyone have some good smoked rainbow trout recipes? Please share. 

Each year I go to Vancouver and eat this smoked salmon that is on the firm and chunky side and sweet. Has anyone done something like this?

6 hours ago, Centre_Pin_Assasin said:

Make sure you catch the really decade boots from port they smoke well?

If you air dry them works great...try to get the bones out or they puncture the rolling paper..lol

I smoke the odd rainbow on barbeque.  Couple steps I use is to mix pickling salt and water in a container, add brown sugar and a table spoon of maple syrup. Let fillets sit 24hrs in the brine.  I use a large size aluminum pan of hickory wood chips on the hot side of barbeque soaked in water. Block holes in barbeque to keep the smoke in with tinfoil. Once the entire pan is been smoked, I turn on the opposite side to finish cooking the fillets. Not authentic smoking but tastes really good...I don't eat much fish, but cook it for the wife like this. You can also toothpick or if you use a grill basket add a small slice of brushuto on top of the fillets, ads a nice touch with the salted flavor from that. 

Does the type of wood matter all that much to smoke fish or meat ? Some use various fruit tree wood like apple , cherry , etc.  I can't smell much difference but sure can tell when cedar wood is burning !  My neighbour smokes bows for me , similar recipe as yours Dave , and uses wood from my huge delicious apple tree that I cut down last year .....Delicious !  It takes practice to get the right temperature and amount of smoke needed according to the density of the fish-meat being smoked .  I did some smelts on a ball -b-que many years ago , using  briquets and small wet apple branches ....had to keep spritzing them to stop catching on fire ...very nice eating & only took 2 hours to smoke a few dozen . ...just gutted them & left the heads on....your choice to eat 'em whole .:)

It's very easy to over smoke fish and meat. My son knows only toooo well:P  I like to keep my smoking temps down around 130-150 with a light fruitwood smoke. A lot of my brines are also fruit juice based.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:14 PM, smerchly said:

Does the type of wood matter all that much to smoke fish or meat ? Some use various fruit tree wood like apple , cherry , etc.  I can't smell much difference but sure can tell when cedar wood is burning !  My neighbour smokes bows for me , similar recipe as yours Dave , and uses wood from my huge delicious apple tree that I cut down last year .....Delicious !  It takes practice to get the right temperature and amount of smoke needed according to the density of the fish-meat being smoked .  I did some smelts on a ball -b-que many years ago , using  briquets and small wet apple branches ....had to keep spritzing them to stop catching on fire ...very nice eating & only took 2 hours to smoke a few dozen . ...just gutted them & left the heads on....your choice to eat 'em whole .:)

The wood chips don't matter smirch. Ive used Applewood as well before too. I buy the small bags at Can Tire.  A smoker is the best way to go for authentic taste. 

I'm looking for a good smoked salmon or trout recipe too. The key for me is to make sure the fillets are really dry when they're finished. A lot of the salmon candy I've had has been wet/slimy and I don't care for that too much. I use a bass pro shops special propane box smoker but I mostly only use lump charcoal as a heat source and the type of wood for smoke depends on the meat being smoked. I use a lot of applewood and hickory for chicken or turkey. Hickory for pork. Mesquite for beef. Mesquite has a stronger flavour apple wood is pretty mild and hickory falls somewhere in the middle.

I like applewood for fish because fish tends to absorb the smoke flavour easier than other types of meat.

I like Coho over any salmon types for smoking. I use more sugar than salt and cut back on time in brine.

4to5 hours is lots. After I take it out, rinse and let dry. Put in smoker. after a couple pans of chips I baste with Sweet Chili Ty then continue smoking till done to my liking . 

You can eat as much as you want because not salty.

Smoker I use is Big Chief from Lure Jensen.

Archived