Winter carping

Tyler0420

I was expecting to see warmer temps. as they said on one weather stn. , up to 14*C. , strong winds & lots of rain ,

It's been drizzle here all day and 37^F.  I don't know the best spots to find winter carp , shallow or deep . I think my best chance would be L.Moody  , some spots are about 6' and others about 8-10' , and all murky now , which isn't bad for carping . Using some good scent may help attract them . I remember Lorne Morley liked to use a capsaicin in the pack bait . They are like us , they like a hot meal in cold weather.... 

I tried a  spot at Rennie with the ice rods ,but no bites . Some have been caught on minnows a few years ago , I tried chopped minnows to attract them but  no go ....

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, smerchly said:

Tyler .... is your mail box full ?   

I don’t think so.  
My local lake froze over again so I headed to Hamilton harbor to find some open water. Found some 11 degree C water and caught a small carp in a short session.  

EB77718C-1220-48B4-91F0-D2BC37B91071.jpeg

2A995D67-6D15-4094-8CCF-CCAA9C54C01B.jpeg

I should have known where you would be on such a fine sunny day !  

WTG Tyler ....nice to see a fine looking carp again . Nice spot , nice set up ....a bit of a reach with the net .

What was on the menu today ?

• 3 weeks later...

I rigged up 3 rods for ice carp yesterday ...found a few stiffer rods & larger reels ( 2000 ) & 10 lb. line ....hoping my spot near Rennie freezes enough to spend a few hrs .... maybe need some hot sauce ...

16 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I rigged up 3 rods for ice carp yesterday ...found a few stiffer rods & larger reels ( 2000 ) & 10 lb. line ....hoping my spot near Rennie freezes enough to spend a few hrs .... maybe need some hot sauce ...

Good luck. Try a couple pieces of sweet corn down the hole with corn on hook. 

Niice "surprise walleye" Tyler !  

Was that a disappointment catch or a bonus fish ?    I think your smile tells me the answer lol 

Have you tried winter fishing there for carp with corn , etc ? 

I'm itching  to get out there....

56 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Niice "surprise walleye" Tyler !  

Was that a disappointment catch or a bonus fish ?    I think your smile tells me the answer lol 

Have you tried winter fishing there for carp with corn , etc ? 

I'm itching  to get out there....

I knew right away it wasn’t a walleye. Felt like more than a twig bringing it in.  It Went for a couple nice runs on the light tackle.
I haven’t fished winter carp there but with the plus temps coming I think I’ll give it a try. It’s a nice 30-40m pool. 

It looks like you caught it in clear shallow water . I expect my spots to be 5 to 10 ft. deep, depending on how close to shore I set the lines & the water being little hazy . 

And you didn't need to chum !!   

• 1 month later...

I just spotted this !  You said you would fish for carp on the way back , congrats ! That's a nice clean carp .  The water level looks like it has dropped a lot . The new net you bought today looks strong enough to handle those carp ....you should have slimed it up lol .

10 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I just spotted this !  You said you would fish for carp on the way back , congrats ! That's a nice clean carp .  The water level looks like it has dropped a lot . The new net you bought today looks strong enough to handle those carp ....you should have slimed it up lol .

Simple canned corn on the hair with a plastic corn on top. 
looking forward to putting that net to work. Hopefully some trout will see it soon

I just watched this 15 sec.video about using corn on a hair rig ....

It looks like he removed the inside of one piece and pushed a whole piece inside ...

Next time I open a can (we eat it too) , I'll give it the smerch test ....  gettin the itch....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Fkue9WDhDCs

9 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I just watched this 15 sec.video about using corn on a hair rig ....

It looks like he removed the inside of one piece and pushed a whole piece inside ...

Next time I open a can (we eat it too) , I'll give it the smerch test ....  gettin the itch....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Fkue9WDhDCs

I think they inserted some sort of floater inside the piece of corn. Just use a floating plastic corn. 

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ice out is long gone isnt it?

Noop !  I fished a spot 2 days ago and thin ice stopped me from fishing some areas . There will prob. be some thin ice again tomorrow as the temps will not get above freezing  .

Nice set up Tyler , I'll have to pack more pva bags this year , I think they may work good in the 12 Mile Creek's current to attract carp from a mile downstream . Think I'll add some chopped shrimp to the bag for more attraction ....

But ....I think we cannot use any non veg. bait when using more than one rod , so shrimp would be illegal in chum also .....  but ok with one rod ?

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

Noop !  I fished a spot 2 days ago and thin ice stopped me from fishing some areas . There will prob. be some thin ice again tomorrow as the temps will not get above freezing  .

Nice set up Tyler , I'll have to pack more pva bags this year , I think they may work good in the 12 Mile Creek's current to attract carp from a mile downstream . Think I'll add some chopped shrimp to the bag for more attraction ....

But ....I think we cannot use any non veg. bait when using more than one rod , so shrimp would be illegal in chum also .....  but ok with one rod ?

Definitely one rod with anything that’s not plastic corn and plant based. Legally I don’t think you can chum with shrimp. 

ended up with one 🦨 yesterday. 

3 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

On the calendar I associate it to early April. Usually when temps are above zero steadily.

Do you fish for channel catts?

in the summer I fish saugeen river at night for big catts.