Kid's Fishing Derbies

Tony

I've been out of the loop for a long time as far as kid's fishing derbies go...............Being that I have a 4 year old grandson, I'd love to start taking him

to some fishing derbies..........Are there any out there these days for kids????  Does  anyone else have young children (grandchildren) that would like

to see a few more kids fishing derbies take place during the year????🙂

47 minutes ago, bigugli said:

At present, Kid's derbies, the fishing shows, etc...    are in limbo as long as large gatherings are forbidden.

I have 5 great grand children & one in progress ...  I hope they never have to experience these quarantines and lock downs again .  I would like to be optimistic , but the world has shrunk  .....

1 hour ago, мормышка said:

St. Catharines Game & Fish used to have "Kids Day", first Saturday in May,  but who knows when the piers will open up.

Long time ago used to be Catfish Derby by Calhoun's on Bunting Rd. First Saturday in June.

There are big excavator machines at the end of the east pier , don't know when they will be finished there and they messed up Rookers  Rd  wall with all those rocks  ...hoping to see people on the west pier this year (gatherings & access considered)  . 

CDP would be my choice for a kids catfish derby ...years ago my bud's grand daughter caught a huge crappie during Calhoun's derby . Lots of parking , elbow room , (two ponds ), safe fishing and good variety of fish . A rod or two could go for a swim there if a big cat or carp is hooked .....:)

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have 5 great grand children & one in progress ...  I hope they never have to experience these quarantines and lock downs again .  I would like to be optimistic , but the world has shrunk  .....

There are big excavator machines at the end of the east pier , don't know when they will be finished there and they messed up Rookers  Rd  wall with all those rocks  ...hoping to see people on the west pier this year (gatherings & access considered)  . 

CDP would be my choice for a kids catfish derby ...years ago my bud's grand daughter caught a huge crappie during Calhoun's derby . Lots of parking , elbow room , (two ponds ), safe fishing and good variety of fish . A rod or two could go for a swim there if a big cat or carp is hooked .....:)

Sounds like a good choice for a fishing derby, Bill.................

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sounds like a good choice for a fishing derby, Bill.................

Yes Tony , it looks like Port is pooched .  CDP is ideal for little kids , shallow water with some big fish . ...perfect for the kiddies , using floats  with a worm .(or corn) ;)

They have washrooms too .  There isn't much choice left for having derbies .

41 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Yes Tony , it looks like Port is pooched .  CDP is ideal for little kids , shallow water with some big fish . ...perfect for the kiddies , using floats  with a worm .(or corn) ;)

Years ago, I remember taking my boys to Windmill Point Park for fishing derbies..........There was always a good one in Pt. Colborne for their Canal Days celebrations............I don't know if these are still around or not............

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

CDP is Lincoln, and they require, like Welland and Niagara Falls, permits and insurance for events

Hard to say for sure with all the restrictions everywhere...and I have been way out of the loop on kids derbies for almost 20 years now...when people are allowed to gather again...and hold local events you could check in with any of the surrounding conservation club groups...they often hold kid and family events for fundraisers and such..we used to have 1 years back when I was a trustee for the club in stevensville.....and there is a decent fishing pond on that property when public use is allowed...some of the conservation areas also have them....the local bass clubs have kids events......and I'm sure that a few of us can lend you some advice here and there about some decent "kid friendly"...spots to try out where there's enough panfish action to keep the kids happy and a chance for the grown ups to catch big people fish......and nothing more fun than hooking something decent and passing off the rod to see the look on the little one's faces when they mess with something that tugs back...haha....or when the biggest one of the day is hooked on "the kids rod".

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Hard to say for sure with all the restrictions everywhere...and I have been way out of the loop on kids derbies for almost 20 years now...when people are allowed to gather again...and hold local events you could check in with any of the surrounding conservation club groups...they often hold kid and family events for fundraisers and such..we used to have 1 years back when I was a trustee for the club in stevensville.....and there is a decent fishing pond on that property when public use is allowed...some of the conservation areas also have them....the local bass clubs have kids events......and I'm sure that a few of us can lend you some advice here and there about some decent "kid friendly"...spots to try out where there's enough panfish action to keep the kids happy and a chance for the grown ups to catch big people fish......and nothing more fun than hooking something decent and passing off the rod to see the look on the little one's faces when they mess with something that tugs back...haha....or when the biggest one of the day is hooked on "the kids rod".

Thanks........I remember the one in Stevensville................My son won a second place prize one year........It was always a good derby.................

With all the waterways we have ,surely they  can find good spots for having a kids derby . Some of you may remember the great derbies the SCGFA had at the reservoir at Decew Rd.  That would be my choice !   :Gonefishing:

....speaking about Decew Rd. ...I see the parking lot at the grist mill had lots of vehicles parked there Monday.....?

On 3/4/2021 at 7:11 AM, мормышка said:

Long time ago used to be Catfish Derby by Calhoun's on Buntring Rd. First Saturday in June.

Man, Catfish Derby. My brother won 1st place with a big carp the first year that derby was held. Make me realize how old I've become.🤔

4 hours ago, Digger said:

Man, Catfish Derby. My brother won 1st place with a big carp the first year that derby was held. Make me realize how old I've become.🤔

I remember always taking my son to that Catfish Derby.............It was always a good time with a ton of people at Calhoun's....................

I used to run a fishing derby for the kids at the trailer park l was in for 17yr and our very own bigugli Bruce and his son Robt was a supporter & sponsor " Thanks as always Bruce" and it was a lot of hard work but it was a great time and fun....

image.png

2 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

My son caught a decent sucker there one year as well.

When we were kids (little kids)  we had a riot catching white suckers at the 12 Mile Creek . They came in from the lake , through Port Dalhousie and up the 12 .  They can't do the trip now but there are still some scrappy red fins in there !

I don’t have any kids but I’d be willing to try and put something together this spring for you guys with kids Depending on covid restrictions (outside group gatherings).

Anyone interested “SAY I”

im sure a couple of us could pick out a decent spot for kids and gather up some “treats” for the youngsters. 

If it comes together..

I could see about possibly helping out...I have helped put a few derbies on in the past 

Archived