New to Fishing St.Catharines, looking for some advice

trouter

Hey fellow anglers, I'm finally going to get out fishing this summer, fall, and beyond. I live in St. Catharines and I'm awful excited to get out and catch something. I understand that this might not be the best time of year to pull in trout (spring & fall) but nevertheless, I will do whatever I can to find some, or anything else to catch within my area.
I'm limited to walking & public transit unfortunately. I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on a good spot to try.

From what I have read, I was going to  try a bottom bouncing rig (minnow or worm) in Port Dalhousie. I'm attaching a picture to this topic to show where I am in relation to Port Dalhousie & the Welland Canal. My area is the Green Square, Port D & Canal are Red Circles.

I would be forever greatful, and will be sure to keep this topic going with my experiences fishing this season. I'm using an Ugly Stik GX2 rod & reel combo to start.

Cheers

my-area.jpg

Very nice intro trouter (George) ? Nice map you have there , I can see about 50 of my fishing spots there ! We used to fish a lot at Lock 2 (circle) ....tons of big drum off that small pier on the east side (off limits now) And we got our baitfish in the ditch on east Carlton St. ,,,and crayfish as well . And you're not far from the Port Weller east pier for many species coming in the canal from the lake .

The circle at Port Dal. also has many species of fish in the 2 zones , (20 & 16) . We fish 12 months a year there , and it's one of my fun carp areas . Bottom bouncing with worms or minnows can get you a variety of fish ..,rough bottom there , need to have the right weight for a good drift .

Travelling by bus ....maybe a good size back pack , 2 pc.rod and landing net with  pull out extension handle since the water level lake side is low right now.  Marth 11 has lots of experience with using buses to fish Port. 

Best of luck to you !   :Gonefishing:

HA ! I'm probably about 60 years older , been here about 17 years , retired for 30 years and lots of time to post from my diary . I like to see new people introduce themselves with a little background and something about themselves . Some just have a one liner "Where's the fish at " or "How about some way points on your pike spots"  lol 

I believe I am the 'old guy" here ....There was an "old guy" named Trevor who was an excellent trout angler (fly rod) and he has since passed ....I met him at our swills ...terrific man !  I would like to see some younger  people join us so I can be their Sensei   :clapping:

No disrespect to you Trouter but I have not been a shore fisherman for many years so I would not have any idea as to where to direct you. My favorite spots used to be Lake Gibson at Decew, St. John's pond in Effingham and the sand docks at Queenston. Welcome to the Forum.

Wow, I'm incredibly grateful for the responses to my post.  First I would like to give a little background on myself; I am 38 and was born and raised in Nova Scotia (I haven't lived there in about 13 years now). I love fishing, but due to circumstances in life (constantly moving all over the Canada), I have been unable to make a good honest attempt at getting back to my roots of fishing.

I want to address a few things:

15 hours ago, verado said:

I'm being a bit of a smart-ass Smerch, but I noticed that Trouter has 1 post on this forum. Maybe you should have told him to check out your other 17,200 posts  for information on fishing this area. LOL

I couldn't agree more. I did look over some previous posts, and they were helpful, but, I really wanted to find a way to introduce myself to this forum. I have only been living in Niagara region since the beg. of 2020, and most of that was spent locked down. Needless to say, I don't really know anyone around here...especially anyone who has fished around here. I've tried introducing myself on other forums with "Hey my name is mark, just wanted to introduce myself", but it was never engaging enough to get a response. I would really like to have something to offer the community here. Having said that, I will be mindful of the forum rules, and not waste time of others moving forward.

15 hours ago, smerchly said:

HA ! I'm probably about 60 years older , been here about 17 years , retired for 30 years and lots of time to post from my diary . I like to see new people introduce themselves with a little background and something about themselves . Some just have a one liner "Where's the fish at " or "How about some way points on your pike spots"  lol 

I believe I am the 'old guy" here ....There was an "old guy" named Trevor who was an excellent trout angler (fly rod) and he has since passed ....I met him at our swills ...terrific man !  I would like to see some younger  people join us so I can be their Sensei   :clapping:

Thanks for the welcome, and fishing advice. I will do my best to add something to your community here! 🙂

I spent the first 25 years of my life hunting and fishing with my father (or Rodfather as I would sometimes call him). The best times of my life for sure. I am a software engineer/developer. Don't get me wrong, I love my work. But if I love following a brook deep into the woods and catching brook trout all day, I would be doing that instead.  There was always something about the challenge of fishing these brooks (have to be quiet, and have an accurate cast, always new spots as you follow it) that was so satisfying. It's where happiness exists for me.

Cheers

As a kid , I loved going way back into "Jackson's Flatts to Effingham to chase the brookies  , even used dry flies with a short spinning rod or a "manure worm" with a small spinner . Those brookie days are done here . 

My first father in law was from River Hebert & I passed by there when visiting N.S. with my ex.on our way to Cape Breton & PEI   I did a little brookie fishing near Truro ,my ex.s home town . People were so friendly on the coast !  The Cabot Trail is awesome , beautiful country ! 

As Verado said ,  read my 17,000 posts and you will see I have been living here in Niagara for all of my 78 years . Fishing has changed over the years as new species have been introduced , good and bad , from gobies to ticks !  

Excuse my broken English , I tend to take shortcuts at my tender age .....Good luck fishing here , I'm still learning new tricks of the trade from info I get here as well . 

BTW ....my oldest grand daughter is 39 with a 7 year old daughter (both fully bilingual )  B)

I like fishing with 3 way rigs .....3 way swivel , 10" drop weight (always with lighter line) & 2-3ft. leader . I have used floating J-11 -13 , 5" Husky Jerks & Kwikfish , but mostly home made worm harnesses (with worms) . Expect anything to hit a worm harness , from walleye , drum , bass ,trout , etc etc .  I just rigged up my 10'6"  Okuma rod with  new 10# mono & a 3 way rig ...looking to get out as soon as weather looks accommodating .....   :bb2:  

20 minutes ago, мормышка said:

I know I said until October for trouts/salmons to come in, but it wouldn't hurt to start exploring both piers now for other species.

I would settle for anything that puts out a good fight whether it's a big drum , channel cat , carp , or walleye . If it's BIG , it's going back to tell their stories .... . A few nice perch will probably meet up with Mr .Frypan . 

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

I would settle for anything that puts out a good fight whether it's a big drum , channel cat , carp , or walleye . If it's BIG , it's going back to tell their stories .... . A few nice perch will probably meet up with Mr .Frypan . 

I agree with you Bill...................I don't care what I catch as long as it has some size to it...............A big bass is also a lot of fun to reel in...........................

18 hours ago, smerchly said:

that puts out a good fight whether it's a big drum , channel cat , carp , or walleye

Walleye good fight??? When I fish the grand and feels like I have a twig on I know it’s a walleye lol. Only ever had one good walleye fight. My pb 6lber on a light set up.  

They have to be a tad over 6 lbs .to get some p & v out of them . The Grand has too much farm chems , better to chase cats and carp there . The Quinte "eyes" fight better since they can see where they're going ...B) 

3 hours ago, мормышка said:

If you're getting a good fight from what you think is a walleye, it'll be a sheephead. 

Hook into a 10 lb sheephead at the pier and you'll know what I'm talking about.

MNR calls them sheepshead .....I have always called them sheephead ,  or drum . We have caught many 'drum" well over 10 lbs. at Quinte and they fight like a carp or bass for their size .  While fishing Jordan from knightfisher's Sports Pal canoe a sheephead hit my crankbait and put out a hard fight .It was also in the 10 lb.range . 

Arron Shirley and his 27 lb Quinte drum ......  

Aaron Shirley 27 lb.drum.PNG

I'm really stoked to get out there. I've decided that each time I do go fishing, I will be documenting my entire experience with words, pictures, and video. This is something I've always wanted to do. Of course I will be posting each experience as they happen on the niagarafishing.net forums.

cheers