New York Deer Hunt

Well the moon, planets and stars aligned so we were able to make it down for this years New York opening weekend. The first time leaving Canada in 18 months. Hit duty free going across into Buffalo to pick up some beer and whisky, only 4 other people in the whole store. The US customs agent seemed just happy to talk to someone, didn't ask if we were bringing anything in, didn't even ask to look at our guns, just shot the shite about hunting for 10 minutes while the cars backed up behind us. lol

Met up with our American friends Friday night had a nice dinner, drank lots of beer and whisky while catching up and telling war stories.

We were met with a bit of snow on Saturday morning, saw four does but as hard as I could squint I couldn't get them to grow antlers! Another nice dinner, more beer, more whisky, more stories.

Sunday morning was a bit warmer. Has two does walk in front of me around 8 am, kept waiting for the buck to emerge from behind them but no such luck. Then about 9 am, three deer came running up the hill from below me all in a line, one doe, then another, the next one must be a buck, nope damn. Then about 10 seconds later up comes another deer, yep antlers, it's legal, it was about a hundred yards below me and a hundred yards to my right so I had a few seconds to assess. I had my heart on a big buck, but we didn't have a deer down yet, I waited as long as I could looking down the hill to see if a bigger buck was behind him, no 8 pointer following, he was now directly to my right about 100 yds out, so I get on mim, I let out a "baaah" to get him to stop, but he kept running, so followed through and dropped him in his tracks. Ended up being a small 6 pointer.

I kinda felt bad since he was working so hard to catch up with those does, poor little guy. Should be tasty though!

766EBDA0-2FBA-4F54-9F20-D8D82C31168C_4_5005_c.jpeg

13 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Well the moon, planets and stars aligned so we were able to make it down for this years New York opening weekend. The first time leaving Canada in 18 months. Hit duty free going across into Buffalo to pick up some beer and whisky, only 4 other people in the whole store. The US customs agent seemed just happy to talk to someone, didn't ask if we were bringing anything in, didn't even ask to look at our guns, just shot the shite about hunting for 10 minutes while the cars backed up behind us. lol

We didn't have such luck when we bought 5 cases of beer at Duluth and got searched at the border at Thunder Bay . They took all the beer (none was mine) , but they let me keep a mickey of Yukon Jack that was "made in Canada" as I stated to them  lol !  The other guys re- bought their beer in Thunder Bay $$$$$  ! 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

We didn't have such luck when we bought 5 cases of beer at Duluth and got searched at the border at Thunder Bay . They took all the beer (none was mine) , but they let me keep a mickey of Yukon Jack that was "made in Canada" as I stated to them  lol !  The other guys re- bought their beer in Thunder Bay $$$$$  ! 

Take a man's beer, that's just wrong. Well at least it was American beer, hopefully they picked it up at Tops for $4.99 case. Back in the day we used to get Milwaukee's Best, terrible stuff, I don't think it was actually brewed, probably beer flavouring mixed with alcohol and water, then into a can it went. 

They took the beer because we said we have nothing to declare ....maybe they would have let us keep it if we declared it ...5 cases , 4 guys in my van , one case for the camp for 2 others in our party .  He was a very nice BIG  Indian fellow , & asked us if we had any more booze in the 19' boat , and we better tell the truth or they would impound the boat ! Yikes !!  The beer we had was "top of the line"   ....good stuff  !!  Cheap ...hell yes !!   :D

Koch's Beer.PNG

On 11/22/2021 at 8:36 PM, Surf and Turf said:

Met up with our American friends Friday night had a nice dinner, drank lots of beer and whisky while catching up and telling war stories.

We were met with a bit of snow on Saturday morning, saw four does but as hard as I could squint I couldn't get them to grow antlers! Another nice dinner, more beer, more whisky, more stories.

Sunday morning was a bit warmer. Has two does walk in front of me around 8 am, kept waiting for the buck to emerge from behind them but no such luck. Then about 9 am, three deer came running up the hill from below me all in a line, one doe, then another, the next one must be a buck, nope damn. Then about 10 seconds later up comes another deer, yep antlers, it's legal, it was about a hundred yards below me and a hundred yards to my right so I had a few seconds to assess. I had my heart on a big buck, but we didn't have a deer down yet, I waited as long as I could looking down the hill to see if a bigger buck was behind him, no 8 pointer following, he was now directly to my right about 100 yds out, so I get on mim, I let out a "baaah" to get him to stop, but he kept running, so followed through and dropped him in his tracks. Ended up being a small 6 pointer.

I kinda felt bad since he was working so hard to catch up with those does, poor little guy. Should be tasty though!

766EBDA0-2FBA-4F54-9F20-D8D82C31168C_4_5005_c.jpeg

Ruger 77 International , nice , got 4 77's but never got an International. looks like a Leupold  1.5-5X on top 

13 hours ago, dave524 said:

Ruger 77 International , nice , got 4 77's but never got an International. looks like a Leupold  1.5-5X on top 

Yep, you nailed it. I'm a big Ruger and Leupold fan. That rifle is chambered in 308 and handles like a 22,  great quick handling woods rifle. I have three Internationalls, 308, 243 and a 22. along with two other M77's in 338 and 204  For a dependable hunting rifle you can't beat them.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:26 PM, smerchly said:

They took the beer because we said we have nothing to declare ....maybe they would have let us keep it if we declared it ...5 cases , 4 guys in my van , one case for the camp for 2 others in our party .  He was a very nice BIG  Indian fellow , & asked us if we had any more booze in the 19' boat , and we better tell the truth or they would impound the boat ! Yikes !!  The beer we had was "top of the line"   ....good stuff  !!  Cheap ...hell yes !!   :D

Koch's Beer.PNG

Golden Anniversary Beer, haven't tried it but sounds like a fine premium brew! Ha... I bet those customs guys probably had some good parties every weekend!