Cat fishing

Tyler0420

4 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Catching fish and watching the meteor shower, was a good night. 

Looks like you had a great night ,  catching lots of good eating fish and enjoying the night sky (animated) ,akin to watching the changing patterns of the northern lights . 

It's a nice change to dine on fresh catfish from cleaner waters , a la Cajun style . Bon appetit ! 

8 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Looks like you had a great night ,  catching lots of good eating fish and enjoying the night sky (animated) ,akin to watching the changing patterns of the northern lights . 

It's a nice change to dine on fresh catfish from cleaner waters , a la Cajun style . Bon appetit ! 

It will definitely be cooked up Cajun style. 

1 hour ago, spikeattolah said:

I've never cleaned one before. What is your preferred method?

Give them to your buddies wife to clean lol. 
I give them all the fish and get some cooked fish in return.   

not really sure how it’s done but I know you cut through just the skin all the way around the head and get some pliers and pull the skin down towards the tail. 
then I’m not sure what’s next. 

I’ve flayed them like a regular fish before can’t say it turned out good though. 

LOL  ....  it's the wifes job to do the cleaning  !  

As they say ....'there's more than one way to skin a cat ....

I have done the 'pliers/vise grip" way and the skin can be pretty tough to pull off . 

Now , I just fillet them like walleye . Some prefer to take the 'bloodline' out as I do with some fish like white perch 

Lots of vids from our southern neighbours who love their cats . This guy removes a thin membrane running down the backbone ...new thing to me ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bpw1LK7AJY&ab_channel=Thefishstalker

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

LOL  ....  it's the wifes job to do the cleaning  !  

As they say ....'there's more than one way to skin a cat ....

I have done the 'pliers/vise grip" way and the skin can be pretty tough to pull off . 

Now , I just fillet them like walleye . Some prefer to take the 'bloodline' out as I do with some fish like white perch 

Lots of vids from our southern neighbours who love their cats . This guy removes a thin membrane running down the backbone ...new thing to me ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bpw1LK7AJY&ab_channel=Thefishstalker

His wife prefers to clean the fish. She’s a master at it.  No waste and fillets look perfect. 

Hey Tyler,

What were you guys using for bait to hook your kitties?  I was fishing southampton 2 nights ago with worms and a carolina rig without a sniff.  I have tried shrimp there in the past, as well with no luck.  

Any tips for my next kitty outing on the geen would be great.

Thanks!

Salmonman

3 hours ago, salmonman said:

Hey Tyler,

What were you guys using for bait to hook your kitties?  I was fishing southampton 2 nights ago with worms and a carolina rig without a sniff.  I have tried shrimp there in the past, as well with no luck.  

Any tips for my next kitty outing on the geen would be great.

Thanks!

Salmonman

We were using worms on Pickerel rigs. I don’t use the hooks that come with them I use the pre tied eagle claw bait holder hooks. 2oz weights and long rods. We fish the boat launch area and cast across the river to the far side. 
I had sucker meat but no bites on it. I caught a Crayfish at the end of the night and used it. It caught the last fish of the night.  We usually catch Crays and use them but worms were working well. The crays come to the shoreline when it gets dark, so easy catching. We usually fish 9pm-3am. 

1E603A56-8419-45FD-8A34-F96869CDB4F0.jpeg

Cleaning out my 40+ yr.old freezer today (new one coming) , found many old relicks like an old bag of shrimp which I use for the 12 Mile cats in the spring .....we never go there after dark !! :ph34r:  

I bought some large circle hooks for cats, but have never tried them,,,,,  I don't think the barbs are needed on these hooks with that circular shape .

A few years ago I bought 2 packs of the Eagle Claw pickerel rigs ....99 cents . I see they are now $1.99 , need to change those cheap hooks ! 

Oh yes ...I also found 2  bags of maize dated 2015 in the bottom of the freezer ....might be ok for chum , can add some more goodies to it ....

Tuesday .....  all set for Gibby carping . (gotta scratch the itch) 

18 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Cleaning out my 40+ yr.old freezer today (new one coming) , found many old relicks like an old bag of shrimp which I use for the 12 Mile cats in the spring .....we never go there after dark !! :ph34r:  

I bought some large circle hooks for cats, but have never tried them,,,,,  I don't think the barbs are needed on these hooks with that circular shape .

A few years ago I bought 2 packs of the Eagle Claw pickerel rigs ....99 cents . I see they are now $1.99 , need to change those cheap hooks ! 

Oh yes ...I also found 2  bags of maize dated 2015 in the bottom of the freezer ....might be ok for chum , can add some more goodies to it ....

Tuesday .....  all set for Gibby carping . (gotta scratch the itch) 

I tried circle hooks years ago. Lost a few fish on them and I tossed them. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I tried circle hooks years ago. Lost a few fish on them and I tossed them. 

I don't really like the looks of them , but i'll give them a try with the pickerel rig ....using one circle & one barbed . 

Some big cats to be had at the 12 ....water has been down for the Henley races lately , will have to check it out again .

( cats not for the table there )

19 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I don't really like the looks of them , but i'll give them a try with the pickerel rig ....using one circle & one barbed . 

Some big cats to be had at the 12 ....water has been down for the Henley races lately , will have to check it out again .

( cats not for the table there )

Good luck when you get out 

Thanks for the tips.  We were fishing 10pm to 12:30am with a 1 ounce slip sinker, 2 foot fluorocarbon lead, 2 glow corkies and a bait holder hook with half a worm on it.  Gobies chewed the worm a few times, but nothing else.  

Fish were there, since 2 other guys beside us got 4 or 5 fish in that time.  No clue what their set up was.

Hopefully better luck next time.

Tightlines

Salmonman

I would give shrimp a try too , it has an odour like clams squid , etc. One night while fishing for carp a friend caught a nice channel on the maize corn / packbait  combo . I have caught plenty of catfish on can nibblet corn also , but the gobies can clean your hooks too easily with that soft corn . I also have some small 4-5" smelts in the freezer ,frozen in water bags .....they stink nicely when thawed out  , and the cats will gobble them up , can also cut them in half , one piece for each hook for more aroma !   :skunk: 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:28 PM, smerchly said:

I would give shrimp a try too , it has an odour like clams squid , etc. One night while fishing for carp a friend caught a nice channel on the maize corn / packbait  combo . I have caught plenty of catfish on can nibblet corn also , but the gobies can clean your hooks too easily with that soft corn . I also have some small 4-5" smelts in the freezer ,frozen in water bags .....they stink nicely when thawed out  , and the cats will gobble them up , can also cut them in half , one piece for each hook for more aroma !   :skunk: 

I’ve  had pretty good results using raw shrimp.