Near the end of the first hunt

Markster

Just now, genec said:

I love it!

showed that to my wife and told her I need some - this was my gun hunt week, and I lost out on it because we’ve both been laid up with bad head/chest colds since last week.

Another flu bug hitting some people pretty hard again . A friend had a flu shot and his 4th covid shot together , one in each arm . and I heard the shot for this new flu is not very effective but may help keep it tamed down some .  We have been lucky , no colds or flues for the passed 3 years ....maybe something to do with staying away from crowds . This crazy weather has put a hoax on our fishing as well Gene , I know how you feel . 

Get better soon ....I believe there is something to that chicken soup that helps fight the flu .

Markster ....do they have deer hunting in Mexico ?   Maybe you meant camels ?   :rolleyes:

i hope you and your wife take it easy and get better soon, Gene. 

smerch: not sure about deer in mexico, but I’m sure alot of guys are thinking the deer may be vacationing there, now.  I understand not many are being seen in our area. Lol

1 hour ago, Markster said:

i hope you and your wife take it easy and get better soon, Gene. 

smerch: not sure about deer in mexico, but I’m sure alot of guys are thinking the deer may be vacationing there, now.  I understand not many are being seen in our area. Lol

There have been a few deer hit by cars in our area lately ......all deer were running southbound on route 24 ....  

A few question for you guys who are sausage makers.  We are making venison sausage this year for the first time. 

1) what venison to pork ratio should we do? 

2) what type of casings are easiest to work with? 

3) what mm size casings for standard size sausage ? 32 to 35 mm? 

Thanks!

Hey Darryl,

its been awhile since i had sausage made, but if i recall correctly i think it may have been 50/50 meat to pork fat. Others may know better. I know it should be cold, almost freezing before the grind.

as far as the other 2 questions, collegen is what we used, but i really don’t remember the size. I don’t know the difference between the casing we used and the alternatives.
if you want pepperettes made, let me know and i’ll pass you the number for larry, the guy that i use. His pepperettes are fantastic.

52 minutes ago, Markster said:

Hey Darryl,

its been awhile since i had sausage made, but if i recall correctly i think it may have been 50/50 meat to pork fat. Others may know better. I know it should be cold, almost freezing before the grind.

as far as the other 2 questions, collegen is what we used, but i really don’t remember the size. I don’t know the difference between the casing we used and the alternatives.
if you want pepperettes made, let me know and i’ll pass you the number for larry, the guy that i use. His pepperettes are fantastic.

Thanks Mark! Appreciate help 

On 11/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, Darryl L said:

A few question for you guys who are sausage makers.  We are making venison sausage this year for the first time. 

1) what venison to pork ratio should we do? 

2) what type of casings are easiest to work with? 

3) what mm size casings for standard size sausage ? 32 to 35 mm? 

Thanks!

check out steve rinella and mike rulman,, Charcuterie, every thing you need to know,recipes ,ingredients,ratios,whether cured or fresh ground or whole muscle Bon Appetite

I have used a 50/50 venison/moose/bear to pork ratio. I use front shoulders and use every bit of meat and fat from the shoulder. You still get and extra lean grind but not dry.

Put the seasonings in the cubed meat to let them work on the flavour overnight...freeze for one hour before grinding.

32mm natural casings is what I use. Don't overfill the casings or they will tear. Use a needle to poke any air pockets.

There are lots of good recipes online.

8 hours ago, coyotehunter said:

I have used a 50/50 venison/moose/bear to pork ratio. I use front shoulders and use every bit of meat and fat from the shoulder. You still get and extra lean grind but not dry.

Put the seasonings in the cubed meat to let them work on the flavour overnight...freeze for one hour before grinding.

32mm natural casings is what I use. Don't overfill the casings or they will tear. Use a needle to poke any air pockets.

There are lots of good recipes online.

I use a wine cork with 5-6 needles pushed into it for a sausage poker,although if one is not curing your suasage ie making salami or pepperettes a little air inside is not much of a concern.When curing , air trapped inside can help with mould and other nastys developing over the drying period

Decided to go with venison burgers over sausages. Family will eat them more often and save money on casings. Made a 9lb test batch and they turned out better than expected. 9lbs made me 28 burgers on the thickest setting on my burger press. 

20221119_135407.jpg

20221119_160951.jpg

Looks goood  !  I would also prefer the burgers over sausage . It can be used in many ways . We always made  moose burger and added 30 % pork fat . The kids loved those burgers too .  We have a new vacuum sealer with some bags , gifted to us last year but haven't used it yet .

6 hours ago, Darryl L said:

Decided to go with venison burgers over sausages. Family will eat them more often and save money on casings. Made a 9lb test batch and they turned out better than expected. 9lbs made me 28 burgers on the thickest setting on my burger press. 

20221119_135407.jpg

20221119_160951.jpg

Do you season them before sealing?

1 hour ago, Darryl L said:

Yes they are all seasoned prior to vacuum sealing. Just take them out of freezer and right onto BBQ

They look yummy...I've made just about everything with the venison...I have one recipe for sausage that's simple and my family and all my buddies love it...and a running joke about how my mother in law likes touching my sausage 🙄🤮20220107_135438_HDR.jpg

20220106_130045_HDR.jpg

20221116_133608_HDR.jpg

3 hours ago, fishingking said:

They look yummy...I've made just about everything with the venison...I have one recipe for sausage that's simple and my family and all my buddies love it...and a running joke about how my mother in law likes touching my sausage 🙄🤮20220107_135438_HDR.jpg

20220106_130045_HDR.jpg

20221116_133608_HDR.jpg

Looks amazing! 

4 hours ago, Darryl L said:

Looks amazing! 

I'll second that !!    Looks like a professional job to me . That sausage machine looks like it can make a lot of sausage very quickly .

And it looks like you have a great M.I.L.  !   :pardon:

In the past when I couldn't find sausage casings I would make up the sausage meat as per usual and make patties out of it. Burger bun eats as well as a sausage roll and you can put a full slice of onion on the patty.

Just now, mooseslayer said:

Makes my mouth water looking at them. Just don't salt burgers before freezing. Salt when you put on the grill. I have read articles on how it changes the consistency of the meat.

I can understand why salting anything going into the freezer can change the consistency since we use salt to melt ice on our roads .  

Good thing to know .

With burgers I agree with no salt. On the other hand there is a lot of salt in most sausage recipes. It helps to contain the meat with casings and most sausage is a coarser grind than burger.