Driver License Renewal

smerchly

As I will be 80 this March I need to get my eyes tested, do the classes   & maybe take a driving test . 

I have and eye exam appt.for Feb.10 . The government form must be filled out by the doc. ,,,just a few lines to confirm the test .($150)

This needs to be done every 2 years , then get my plate renewal (2 yrs)  Has anyone gone through with this with an elderly person like their parents ? (no one here that old) 

Any tips to offer this old bird ?

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Get an e-bike?

I don't mind the $150 , still cheaper than the old stickers . They can bring back the plate stickers anytime and use the money for something good like hospital care .

My wife just turned 80 and may not want to drive anymore ....no need for 2nd car ?

I'll check out the trailering capacity of the e.bike ....:rolleyes:  

Hey smerch. We went through this with my mom.
They basically drew a clock and asked her what time it was showing.

in her case she could see but could not interpret what she was seeing. She failed the test.

She should not have been on the road and we knew that, so the test was our way “out”, as it wasn’t us taking her license away it was the government. 

no worries, you’ve got this.

however, I’m starting to question the size of the fish your posting on here. Lol - just kidding.

According to the receptionist I can get the eye exam then take that little test at service ont . free . Why pay $150  for a few words on a form to say I can see .?

1 hour ago, Markster said:

however, I’m starting to question the size of the fish your posting on here

Maybe my eyes are bad ....reading the scales in ounces instead of pounds.....   :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, wilker said:

Hey Smerchly they do the eye test at the exam takes about 2 minutes you dont need the docs form I took the test yester day the whole thing was about 45 minutes long. nice staff running it.

Thanks for the info Wilker (LTNS) . Funny , I just got off the phone 2 min.ago getting a date for my 'exam' . After talking on the phone the 3rd person didn't speak Engish too well so i missed some info . My license expires in early March ....date for exam is June 6 . She gave me an address on Russel Ave for the classes . You know , our government really stinks as they can no longer give us prompt service .

I have been driving my younger sister to the hospital for tests & 2 days ago the doc told her ,with myself present that she has stage 4 lung cancer & gave her 6 months . .. now waiting for an MRI & Cat scan date to get more accurate info . I'll be driving her there regardless when needed. 

Sorry to here about your sister my friend was told he had cancer and 3 months to live he got treatment an hes still here and that was 3an half years ago. when you made your exam appoint there sappost to issue you a paper lic to hold you over thats what they did for me.

Thanks Wilker , she was drained at home today which is better than going to the hospital every 2 days....cat scan this Sat.   The lady may have said something about a temp.license but her accent was hard to understand & they didn't ask for a email address but have my drivers license number . Fingers crossed .

On 1/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, wilker said:

You should get one in the mail before birthday mine took about a month from when i applied.

My wife called about getting an appointment yesterday ....held the phone for 20 min.before they answered .They told her to call back in a week or two as all appointments for St.Catharines are filled . So she has no idea when she can even get an appointment for the test , so she isn't in line for a temporary license either.

...seems like our lightening fast high technology is much slower than 50 years ago when it comes to government services ...and our medical system .....

Our biggest fear is having an accident with no "valid" license . ( insurance) She has a super clean driving record, been driving for over 60 years as I have .....

How are the hunting/fishing licenses going these days ?  A friend got his PAL renewed after waiting over 6 months ...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 11:13 AM, wilker said:

Hey Smerchly they do the eye test at the exam takes about 2 minutes you dont need the docs form I took the test yester day the whole thing was about 45 minutes long. nice staff running it.

I had a regular eye test done and all is well ...don't need any change in glasses or wear glasses while driving . I got a pair of "night glasses" for driving at night to help cut the glare of oncoming cars head lights. 

On another note  my wife spent 40 minutes on the phone again trying to get her seniors appt, for her driver license renewel & finally a recorded message said they are too busy to take her call ,so try going on line to renew it. She can't find it on line so she asked her daughter to try finding it on line and no dice .

She is now 80 and afraid to drive (insurance purposes) , so I have to do the groceries etc., ( and no word about my license either )

THIS is our government at it's best folks . What a circus it has become under the Ford government. 

I got my temp. M1 license today . It says I must have zero alcohol  , no driving at night , drive on roads under 80 km/hr. I cannot drive the QEW , 406 , 401 etc .This license expires May 20 and my 'test' is June 6 so I must re-apply for my temp. license again . Lots of luck with that .... I hope I am allowed to take my bike to fish the 12 Mile ..... 

My wife cannot get a driver test appointment as they are  "too busy" at this time to make new appointments .....sign of the times....

53 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Why can’t you drive on the highways smerch?

I guess the licenses for people over 80  is called M1  that has conditions because I need to have the eye test & driving school class certificate to say I'm fit to drive on 400 series hwys.  When I get the 2 yr. seniors license I should be able to drive anywhere . I'll be without any license for 3 weeks in May/June so I'll need to limit my driving to within 2 km of my home for groceries just down the street ...It seems the gov't  cannot handle the job they are well paid to do. My wife still can't get an appointment for the test and hasn't driven since Jan. 15. Guess who is the appointed food shopper etc.?  :wacko:

1 hour ago, Morwood80 said:

Is an M1 not a beginner motorcycle license?

Yes , it must be for motorcyles , even for people over 80  lol 

There's a box below saying G1 license . They can't get their dates lined up to coincide with the test I need to do in June ,

so I'll need to apply for another temporary one , or not drive for 3 weeks . ...looking to see if I can apply on line , phone calls are slower than "dial up "

driver license.JPG

M1 eh Bill... Taking up a new hobby...?...lol...we can hit a parking lot in the spring and see if you can do the pylons on my Harley then walk it in a circle....it's vintage just like you...haha...I'm looking into vintage/ classic insurance on it this spring...it's 44 years old now

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

M1 eh Bill... Taking up a new hobby...?...lol...we can hit a parking lot in the spring and see if you can do the pylons on my Harley then walk it in a circle....it's vintage just like you...haha...I'm looking into vintage/ classic insurance on it this spring...it's 44 years old now

Sounds good Jack , can I wear my mountain bike helmut ?  I have relatives who liked their Hogs back in the day , and they are "Davidsons"  . I'm sure you saw the photo I posted of my uncle's 42 Harley . That would have suited me fine as it would match my age !  

...hoping to see you on the 12 Mile trails with your fishing rod strapped to your Harley & guitar on your back ...  

btw ...my wife called again yesterday ,still can't get someone to talk to , only a recorded message saying they are too busy to take any calls (again) 

She was able to get a web site to send a message at " GES@ontario.ca " . ...hoping to get an answer soon ....  I will apply for my 2nd temp.licence too

Isn't technology wonderful ??  :rolleyes:  We had better service 50 years ago.

Well , my wife got a message today saying she cannot drive until after she has the test in June . The said her license has expired (no $hit)  .

She couldn't get any answer on the phone after 3 tries and holding for 40 minutes last time . So she is banned from driving . 

Thanks to Fords new license plate changes , people will have their driving rights suspended .  Our rights are sinking fast in Ontario ....

• 11 months later...

Smerchly !  My mom is 84 and is still driving her guy friend around. He is 86 and they took his licence away because of his eyesight.  He drove all his life and never ever got into an accident. He use to take my mom out for a cruze every day .  Now, she takes him out every day.  I just hope our young kids have something left over before the people in charge bury us all.

Good to see your mom still driving at 84 , my mom passed away at 48 , and my dad drove his old Pinto until he was 77 and passed from a fall .  I'm grateful to be driving at 81 . My wife hasn't decided to get her license again so I need to do more driving to get food ect.  There are some who drove well into their nineties, so I wish your mom the same . 

Hey Smerch, I helped my father with this last year when he turned 84. The hardest part of the test for him was drawing the face of the clock with numbers and the hands pointing to a set time of 10 minutes after 11. We practiced that before the test, he actually found it difficult to do that initially but after practicing a few times no problem. Most kids would draw a cell phone and write 11:10 on the front of it. lol  You'll do fine. Unfortunately it does cause a lot of stress.

I drew that clock in less than 2 min .,not fancy but the hands said "ten after eleven"  ☺️ The man across the table from me took about 5 min. as he wanted to make the clock tic too . 

My wife would have no prob. either , or drive there with a Mustang , 4 on the floor . lol but doesn't seem interested ......