Brookies ?

smerchly

I had no idea there are brook trout and rainbow trout in this area . It seems the Ont.government  may destroy this pristeen 

area to build housing ,etc. as told in this article .  I used to catch brookies locally in the upper 12 Mile watershed up to Effingham ....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/opinion/letters-to-the-editors/2023/01/31/jan-31-letters-fish-population-negatively-affected-by-storm-water-runoff.html

Hmmmm.....no 'bites' on the brookies ....how about "spekkies"  ??  

I remember ( a long time ago) reading about brookies being caught in L.Ont. ??  

There are still some burbot as well I have been told .....

The lakes have been changing for years . It seems the issues about zebra mussels and gobies is now a non issue now .

As an angler with over 73 yrs. "experience" I have seen many changes of our "eco/angling "  

I don't have any info on specs down here but did chase them in the spring north of Huntsville and west of Algonquin Park in the spring. We would fight off the black flies and fish the small streams and beaver ponds along the side of the back roads. Which reminds me, I have to do that again some day!!

2 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

I don't have any info on specs down here but did chase them in the spring north of Huntsville and west of Algonquin Park in the spring. We would fight off the black flies and fish the small streams and beaver ponds along the side of the back roads. Which reminds me, I have to do that again some day!!

Bubba, sounds exactly my neck of the woods where my family summer place is.  If you head up that way let me know! 

I remember Speckies in the 12 and also there was a stream in St. Davids that had small Specks. What remains of that stream runs through the trailer home park just below Bevan Heights..............................Daniel

Just now, boogaloo said:

I remember Speckies in the 12 and also there was a stream in St. Davids that had small Specks. What remains of that stream runs through the trailer home park just below Bevan Heights..............................Daniel

Do you remember the Kamloops trout they stocked in the 12 Mile Daniel ? My fishing buddy caught a large one over 5 lbs. at the outflow of the DeCew Gen.plant . , one of the best spots in the area for many species of fish  ( walleye , bass, trout , crappies ).  It is now fenced and no fishing allowed . 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:34 PM, smerchly said:

Do you remember the Kamloops trout they stocked in the 12 Mile Daniel ?

Rings a bell but that is all Smerch.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, dave524 said:

I remember naturalized Browns in a section of the old Welland Canal , probably near the GM plant on Glendale , back mid 50's before the stocking in the great lakes, Dad caught a few when I was a tyke

I remember that beautiful stream very well . We were about 14 and we biked up the mud road all the way up to the rail tracks where there was a 4 ft. water falls where we caught our 1st little brown which had a nice purplish tinge to them . They would hit worms & grasshoppers and we also used flies like the McGinty in the shallow rapids downstream to Glendale Ave,where there was a nice little spillway and pool before going under the road. There was two spots where the water went under some large timbers & we dropped our lines between them & got some nice  browns . What a time we had there .....until they built the new Haulage Rd.for the auto plant where I worked for 30 years !

Here's a snip from the Niagara Navigator maps (1954-55) . The small red dots were pike ponds  and yellow  spots where we got trout . At the bottom the yellow spot is the 4ft water falls which was  close to the CNR tracks . On the right was train trestle where we also got pike using silver spoons .Those were great days !

image.jpeg

Trout Stream Glendale.jpg

22 hours ago, smerchly said:

I remember that beautiful stream very well . We were about 14 and we biked up the mud road all the way up to the rail tracks where there was a 4 ft. water falls where we caught our 1st little brown which had a nice purplish tinge to them . They would hit worms & grasshoppers and we also used flies like the McGinty in the shallow rapids downstream to Glendale Ave,where there was a nice little spillway and pool before going under the road. There was two spots where the water went under some large timbers & we dropped our lines between them & got some nice  browns . What a time we had there .....until they built the new Haulage Rd.for the auto plant where I worked for 30 years !

Here's a snip from the Niagara Navigator maps (1954-55) . The small red dots were pike ponds  and yellow  spots where we got trout . At the bottom the yellow spot is the 4ft water falls which was  close to the CNR tracks . On the right was train trestle where we also got pike using silver spoons .Those were great days !

image.jpeg

Trout Stream Glendale.jpg

Thanks , think I would have been around 8 at the time, I caught some Rock Bass on a level wind, bobber and snelled hook with worms, Dad had a spinning outfit with mono, think he used a Mepp's type spinner for the trout.