Wild Boar

smerchly

Just read this in the TO Sun ....interesting hunting days ahead ?   These pigs seem to have spread into Canada . 

Maybe dogs can be trained to help sniff them out , but the pigs can be very vicious and apparently they are very smart . 

They are out of control in parts of the USA , we better get on them quickly before they do the damage they are doing there .

Read the comments .......  

https://torontosun.com/news/national/incredibly-intelligent-super-pig-poses-real-threat-to-canada-and-u-s

27 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

With the price of food I might have to take up hunting them. 

Be cool if it became like when you snipe a coyote while Deer or Turkey hunting.

Has anyone seen one in Niagara? I haven't. 

9 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Check Walmart .  They can walk on two legs there ......

Hmm... Wonder if they'd let me hunt in the hunting aisle?  

Just now, honeyv said:

Hmm... Wonder if they'd let me hunt in the hunting aisle?  

Wally doesn't have much at all for pork hunters except a few hams and bacon near the chicken weiners .

Try C.Tire , they have ammo too . 

Sorry guys, but the MNRF wont let you hunt wild boar in Ontario.

Their reasoning is if you had a group of 14 pigs (called a sounder), and you shot a few, you would end up just spreading the rest of the sounder over more area, and they breed like rabbits, so you would just end up with more pigs than the year before.

In areas like Pickering where they found some they trapped them to get rid of the sounder.

39 minutes ago, genec said:

Sorry guys, but the MNRF wont let you hunt wild boar in Ontario.

Their reasoning is if you had a group of 14 pigs (called a sounder), and you shot a few, you would end up just spreading the rest of the sounder over more area, and they breed like rabbits, so you would just end up with more pigs than the year before.

In areas like Pickering where they found some they trapped them to get rid of the sounder.

Of course some comments were made in fun and not to be taken too seriously.

If I'm not mistaken, the correct protocol is to send a photo and report sightings/location to the Invading Species hotline. 

Here is the relevant section from the hunting regulations:

New Invasive wild pigs

As of January 1, 2022, a new regulation under the Invasive Species Act makes it illegal to hunt pigs in the province. Hunting wild pigs is not an effective approach to control their spread or eradicate them.

When wild pigs are hunted, they flee into new areas and learn to avoid humans. They are quick to reproduce and populations are known to rebound rapidly. Prohibiting hunting is one component of Ontario’s approach to prevent the establishment of wild pigs.

Although hunting of pigs is prohibited, hunters still have an important role in addressing the wild pig problem. Given the knowledge and time that hunters spend outdoors across the province, the ministry is seeking their partnership and expertise in reporting wild pig sightings. To learn more about reporting wild pig sightings, the new regulation and what the province is doing to actively address the wild pig problem, including Ontario’s Strategy to Address the Threat of Invasive Wild Pigs, visit ontario.ca/wildpigs.

Thanks for the info Gene . There doesn't seem to be a plan to control ( eradicate) these beasts . With all the technology we have one would think we humans could control any invading species of animals, like dropping  "meds" from the air as we have done to control rabies . ( birth control ) etc .?

Then we would still have the problem of more coming across the border from the USA  ( United Swine Association)  ..

Yea they actually do Bill.

Once a sounder has been reported in a location the MNRF send in a team to locate and trap them to get the entire sounder eliminated. 

They did this last year when a group of pigs was spotted near Pickering.

I haven't read any reports lately of more sightings, so maybe there haven’t been any more groups spotted.

On a personal note, I was disappointed when they announced  the hunting ban, as I was hoping to have a third type of large game that we could hunt in southern Ont.  You only get one per tag of your big game, so if you bag one early, your hunting season is over until next year.  I had hoped that we would be allowed to bag multiple pigs if they showed up in our area.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, boogaloo said:

Apply the 3 S rule. Shoot, Saute and Shut up.................Daniel

Well Daniel ,  we didn't get out on the ice this winter , but I know where there's a pig farm near Smithville .....

Mums the word ......  :rolleyes:

Just now, 410001661 said:

I hope they never get a foothold in Ontario - it would be devastating to the farmers, deer and turkey population.

They could put a bounty on them if they became a threat to our native wild life. We have more resources now to track them . 

But keep on eye on Trudy as he may want the farmers to use bows and arrows on them .......