Carping through the ice

Tyler0420

Just watched it....very interesting and a lot of tips .  Some prep work needed to chum and get them feeding on the fruit 'salad" 

I think the 30# braid was a little heavy to use with the light flexible rods , and as I  thought the carp had less p & v than they have in warmer temps. 

I was hoping to do some ice carping ....got 3 rods all rigged up and ..........   :wall:    you know the "rest of the story"   

I think the run may be a little earlier this spring since there was no ice to keep the water temps near freezing .....I'm ready to try earlier this year .

These guys are obviously experienced at ice carping ...nice set up with the pails of ice for 'rod holders' etc.

I was under the impression not to chum too much in the winter , but there was current there which makes a difference , but now I would chum in advance to draw them

to the area before setting up the hut and then give it a couple days of fishing . 

These baits are not sold locally , but I think some can corn, oats , rice , boilies etc. would peek their interest .

Ice carp baits.JPG

Those reels are multi species reels so he catches lake trout, walleye etc on them. 
next time we meet up I’ll have some baits for ya. I meant to give you some when we were at the show. People have been loving the tiger nuts/cola. I have no confidence in tiger nuts but this year I plan on Using them more. I just picked up a jar. Waiting for my order to arrive. 

On 4/2/2023 at 10:15 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I have no confidence in tiger nuts but this year I plan on Using them more. I just picked up a jar. Waiting for my order to arrive. 

Our friend Joe, loves carp fishing as well and has every type of bait that can be bought.

He has used the tiger nuts as well, but has yet to catch a carp on them.

What kind of chum would one use for tiger nuts ? Joe uses a corn, cream corn and oat mix but as stated no luck.

The guy who got me hooked on carp fishing was Lorne "hammercarp' Morley and he liked using a "capsaicin"  in his oat/cream corn mix . 

He posted his recipes here ,  very simple and effective .  I believe the juice from the cream corn is a great attractant .  I like it too !   

Say Hi to Joe for me Dan !   B)

I would like to try carp fishing from my boat this year  , using the same baits & chum etc. I would anchor the boat front & back and rig all 3 rods each a little differently . I have had luck from shore using both a sliding weight and a bolt rig . I think the bolt rig would be good if the boat is moving in choppy water since the line can have more slack and be set in a regular rod holder . The 2oz.weight will set the hook . I also noticed a lot of regular spinning reels being used for carping lately .They back off the drag then set it as they fight the fish . 

This video got me thinking about boat fishing for carp ....this "excitable" lady did a good job netting the carp solo ....fishing in L.Erie near Long Point ( 3 rods) 

Skip the first 5 minutes for the action .   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEznaOvAS3w&ab_channel=AverieRose  

14 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I would like to try carp fishing from my boat this year  , using the same baits & chum etc. I would anchor the boat front & back and rig all 3 rods each a little differently . I have had luck from shore using both a sliding weight and a bolt rig . I think the bolt rig would be good if the boat is moving in choppy water since the line can have more slack and be set in a regular rod holder . The 2oz.weight will set the hook . I also noticed a lot of regular spinning reels being used for carping lately .They back off the drag then set it as they fight the fish . 

This video got me thinking about boat fishing for carp ....this "excitable" lady did a good job netting the carp solo ....fishing in L.Erie near Long Point ( 3 rods) 

Skip the first 5 minutes for the action .   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEznaOvAS3w&ab_channel=AverieRose  

I’ve watched lots of her videos. She has a fishing show called “hooked”

She has a show fishing Hamilton harbor for carp also. 

I'm going to try for carp and cats this week from shore . I will take 2 rods and rig them with corn . Then use one rod using worms for carp . 

It is very mild right now , 58* F. ,and the temp. is rising . The worms are very thick on the grass right now . I took a shot from my deck and could easily get 500 if I don't mind having a bath outside  .....I think the warm winter was good for the worms to survive well . I was surprised to see so many as I have gone over my yard with a heavy roller to level out the grass for easier lawn cutting .  Nice week ahead, but expecting very muddy water . Those little white spots are water drops on the lens ...wiped it clean !

Worms after rain.jpg

I went yesterday to see a couple spots. Event the back waters had current flowing at a good pace.

Water was very muddy to the point of soupy. I'm sure catfish aren't completely affected as they feed by scent/feel, but I don't

believe it would be ideal for them. The rains just need to stop then the dust can settle.

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I just walked my dog and the worms were all over the sidewalks. 
don’t forget only one rod when using live bait. 
Finally no rain for a few days. The waters should clear up a bit. 

Yes. I had to look that up for myself. only plant based bait for 3 rods for carp legally.

I wish shore fishers can use two rods. One with bait and one for casting artificial. (more to keep busy)

1 hour ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Yes. I had to look that up for myself. only plant based bait for 3 rods for carp legally.

I wish shore fishers can use two rods. One with bait and one for casting artificial. (more to keep busy)

Ya maybe one day we’ll be able to. Just need some anglers to fight for it. Took Many years for us to get the 3 rod rule. 

3 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

I picked 10 dozen worms last night about 8:15 in 15 minutes. I couldn't believe how many worms were out. I barely left the sidewalk and driveway. They were everywhere.

I'm sure the mild winter helped bring these numbers on . Worms help fertilize the grass and the holes get more moisture under the grass .I never use any chemicals to enhance my grass , the worms do a good job and work free , and they help catch fish too !    :Gonefishing:

Using 3 rods for carp can be a challenge when all 3 alarms go off (right Ty)?  I'm sure the same applies to catfish when using corn or other organtic baits . It would be great to be able to use ONE of the 3 rods to rig up a float for pike , etc.  We can use 2 rods plus a cheater line while trolling the Great Lakes and run 4 lures each , plus the benefit of using electronics ( way points , locating fish, etc etc) .

8 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Bill if you are going to that crazy spot where we were catching 7-8 a piece, let me know.

I'm up for some craziness.

We can give it a try Dan . When we had that crazy carp day the water was not mucked up , but I'm sure the carp will be there . Bring Joe as I heard he like the kitties . ;)

3 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Using 3 rods for carp can be a challenge when all 3 alarms go off (right Ty)?

One time I had 4 fish in the net. I cast back out before letting one go(had to video/weigh them) at that point I had to pull the rods so I could deal with the fish I had on shore.   

2 minutes ago, smerchly said:

A remote camera sitting on a tripod would have made the "movie of the year" award . Wish I was there to see that !   

Pandemonium !    

Ya an action cam would be nice

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think carping on the ice is done , so I spent a few hours at the "mud hole" today . It was a nice sunny morning to wet the carp lines . The water ia still muck and I chummed a spot well with maize/can corn , oats , cream corn and a shot of hot sauce to warm up the water ....

A few carp were splashing near the opposite side , but none were interested in any my offerings ...maybe next time .....

Capturecdp muddy carp.JPG

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Well I think carping on the ice is done , so I spent a few hours at the "mud hole" today . It was a nice sunny morning to wet the carp lines . The water ia still muck and I chummed a spot well with maize/can corn , oats , cream corn and a shot of hot sauce to warm up the water ....

A few carp were splashing near the opposite side , but none were interested in any my offerings ...maybe next time .....

Capturecdp muddy carp.JPG

It’s nice that you got out. It was a beautiful day. 

2 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

That spot looks rather familiar Bill! Glad you got out and hopefully no ticks!!

Not many ticks in that area unless you venture into the grassy areas , but Jordan is loaded with them as expected . I might have to avoid some of my spots where 

the ticks will be bad.  In my younger days we didn't see a tick at our fishing holes.  

That spot has changed a lot Scott, and there's more deadheads and tree branches to avoid . I may need to use stronger lines there .

And I started my "earth day" yesterday ....picked up some braid & mono line that careless people left on the ground .