Just a Heads UP about Launches

Fish Farmer

Could be a thing for the future at boat launches

Make sure you know how to pay for the launch with your Cell, there no pay machine at the Sugar Loaf Launch now.
I got a 40 dollar ticket the other day. I don't have a clew how to pay by phone.
I guess I'll have to get my grandson to show this old timer (y) 😀image.gif
You have to have a launch permit now at the Sugar Loaf launch.

It's the way of the future , the "phone" will be needed for all money transactions as cash gradually disappears . I would have to avoid these launches as I don't have the phone needed to access my bank .  $40 is a big slap in the face for those who just want to go fishing in a boat ! Same thing for launching a yak there if you have no phone ? 

Many people bought boats ,ect. during the c19 and now they are taking advantage of a "lucrative" opportunity to gouge us more . 

FF ,  how do they track your launch fees at this launch ?  

1 hour ago, Fish Farmer said:

Make sure you know how to pay for the launch with your Cell, there no pay machine at the Sugar Loaf Launch now.
I got a 40 dollar ticket the other day. I don't have a clew how to pay by phone.

Fish farmer “there’s an app for that”

an app for everything these days. 
or there will be a QR code sticker thing that you use your camera and the website will show up on your screen. 

2 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Wow and $22.60 now for the day 

Its probably like the pay parking app HONK!. Register your plate # to your account with billing info. 

Park and pay kind of thing for whatever time you put in. Or even a season pass for cheapest price.

Look at Lakeside Park parking. $3 an hour or $15 for the permit from May to September.

If you are a St. Catharines resident, you should not pay a dime.

4 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Look at Lakeside Park parking. $3 an hour or $15 for the permit from May to September.

If you are a St. Catharines resident, you should not pay a dim

Two years ago I received my parking permit at Port D . free for the  summer and it was free for everyone after that for fall/winter fishing . When they see the crowds of visitors with no where to park , they see $$$  oportunities ....just like the boat ramps that we called "public ramps" 

It's getting more expensive to fish by boat considering  all the costs to get on the water . Lake Simcoe ...a good example of boat launch/parking fees . I wonder if the government gets a piece of that pie ?  

I guess we could call it "user fees" , but that doesn't help our pocket books

I was going to mention I would fight the ticket . There should be a large sign warning people to pay by phone (apps) but we should have a choice to pay with our credit cards or cash  .I use Mastercard at the hospital . Maybe the use of apps prevents damage like the card/cash machines , I think they will drop the ticket ...good luck. 

On 6/13/2023 at 8:29 AM, smerchly said:

It's the way of the future , the "phone" will be needed for all money transactions as cash gradually disappears . I would have to avoid these launches as I don't have the phone needed to access my bank .  $40 is a big slap in the face for those who just want to go fishing in a boat ! Same thing for launching a yak there if you have no phone ? 

Many people bought boats ,ect. during the c19 and now they are taking advantage of a "lucrative" opportunity to gouge us more . 

FF ,  how do they track your launch fees at this launch ?  

Good question Bill, all I know I was socked when I got the ticket and my buddy to got one to and didn't have his boat, just parked beside me..

Still haven't heard back from them yet.

4 hours ago, Dave said:

So a standard credit card no longer works at these ticket booths??

They say you have to pay by cell phone. I guess Seniors or people that don't have a cell phone aren't aloud in Port Colbourne

They don't want our paper money ? Other places will take our cash or cards. Eventually we will be mandated to use apps that can be very traceable, ifyaknowwhatImean .

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Any word on the Crystal Beach boat launch??

It got taken over by another company now who apparently patrols 24/7, 7 days a week..we just went and bought a yearly permit from the town. Getting to complicated now 

Port Stanley up where I am has same system. Free to launch but app based system to park in public lot. I just pay my $140 honk app fee each season and never think about it again.(Very reasonable for the amount I walleye fish last few summers) Launch prices are getting ridiculous and combined with gas, boat and gear prices it adds up fast