Crazy Unpredictable Fishing Weather

smerchly

12 minutes ago, genec said:

We have had steady rain here all morning.

Had hoped to hit the Grand R this week to try for pics, but will be muddy now for a few days after the 3 rains this week.

Smelly baits for the cats Gene !   I could now float my canoe in the back yard ....I don't know if the worms survive or drown .

Twenty eight years ago today , my son was married in our back yard and it was so hot and sunny one of the elders had to stay in the house with the window A.C. running .

We didn't call it climate change then , we called it HOT !  

24 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Smelly baits for the cats Gene !   

Bill, I have ZERO interest in fishing for cats….I want pickerel!

As kids fishing the flats on the Grand at my uncle’s farm we would catch them and throw them back, cause we didnt want to eat them, and were raised by parents who said we should eat what we catch….we thought cats were yuccky!

Most cats in this area live in muck water . If you want to eat them , soak the fillets in salt water for 2 hours and use lots of Cajun spice  :wub:

I used to buy catfish fillets from Tops at N.F . N.Y. and they were quite tasty .... but I don't go to the U.S. now ...no passport & a high $ exchange rate . 

Cats from the Niag.R. may be more edible , but I also like the pickerel, pike and perch the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Well smercho ,  we had another blast of rain last night .....more on the way today ??  It may be good for the gardens as my cherry tomato plants are well into the lilac tree over 7 feet high ! & the beef stake plant is 6" over the 6 ft. fence ! (free tomatoes for my neighbours)  

BUT ....asking you guys who want to fish shore spots or the lakes ,  does it matter much if we are getting a lot of rain ?

As a shore angler , I would prefer clearer water .  

Enough Ma !

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well smercho ,  we had another blast of rain last night .....more on the way today ??  It may be good for the gardens as my cherry tomato plants are well into the lilac tree over 7 feet high ! & the beef stake plant is 6" over the 6 ft. fence ! (free tomatoes for my neighbours)  

BUT ....asking you guys who want to fish shore spots or the lakes ,  does it matter much if we are getting a lot of rain ?

As a shore angler , I would prefer clearer water .  

Enough Ma !

We haven’t got much rain here. The river is still clear. Hoping to get out sat or sun in dunnville on the yak. 

10 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

We haven’t got much rain here. The river is still clear. Hoping to get out sat or sun in dunnville on the yak. 

We got a sheetload of rain here lately and the Falls got lots too I heard .

But we didn't get the rain Ottawa got , up to 80 mm with a lot of damage . Check the vids on that .

Going for cats or walleye ?  Lots of luck .

• 3 weeks later...

Got out 3 times on Erie this week.Monday was best day I've had this summer, double digits, and 6 in the 4-5lb range..

So much for a change to NE winds shut them down LOL.Tried again on Thursday.Read all the weather and wind charts. Looked on the edge of safety but sometimes you don't know until you get there, and it was..Ended up in bad wind drizzle pulled out after a half hour..Hit it again on Saturday and morning was good.Might have hit my biggest fish of the season but scale was at home...Saturday had a predicted wind of N to NE all day but actually came up south on the water at about 10am..You just never know what you're going to get on Erie no matter what weather and wind charts tell you...

My day started with me slipping off a rock wall launching my kayak and smashing my right leg and butt..Thought I was in for a hospital trip right then and there..Shook it off and fished..Got home and then the ice packs started.I think I'm going to be sore for a while.🙄  

14 minutes ago, Dave said:

Got out 3 times on Erie this week.Monday was best day I've had this summer, double digits, and 6 in the 4-5lb range..

So much for a change to NE winds shut them down LOL.Tried again on Thursday.Read all the weather and wind charts. Looked on the edge of safety but sometimes you don't know until you get there, and it was..Ended up in bad wind drizzle pulled out after a half hour..Hit it again on Saturday and morning was good.Might have hit my biggest fish of the season but scale was at home...Saturday had a predicted wind of N to NE all day but actually came up south on the water at about 10am..You just never know what you're going to get on Erie no matter what weather and wind charts tell you...

My day started with me slipping off a rock wall launching my kayak and smashing my right leg and butt..Thought I was in for a hospital trip right then and there..Shook it off and fished..Got home and then the ice packs started.I think I'm going to be sore for a while.🙄  

Nice to see your out yaking. I didn’t end up doing much bass fishing this year. 
you going out for kings soon?

24 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice to see your out yaking. I didn’t end up doing much bass fishing this year. 
you going out for kings soon?

It had crossed my mind..All I see is nothing but north winds in the forecast for the next 4 days.Good for bringing them in but bad for a kayak on the south shore...Port is only 2 miles from me and some how I've become addicted to lake Erie Smallies.At least I know the odds are way higher with Bass.I have to see how I recover from this injury.Kayak trolling has become really hard work at my age..

12 minutes ago, Dave said:

It had crossed my mind..All I see is nothing but north winds in the forecast for the next 4 days.Good for bringing them in but bad for a kayak on the south shore...Port is only 2 miles from me and some how I've become addicted to lake Erie Smallies.At least I know the odds are way higher with Bass.I have to see how I recover from this injury.Kayak trolling has become really hard work at my age..

Gotta upgrade to an i pilot now

Do you have a link to that? Not sure I want to hang an electric too far underneath Yak.OK for big water but it would suck in the weeds of Buckhorn.Steelhead Chaser has some videos on YT with an electric off the bow..I know theres some cool torqueedo type drop in motors out there, also the Bixpy, but they are mostly $2k... A Hobie fin drive is worth $1400!!! 

6 hours ago, Dave said:

Do you have a link to that? Not sure I want to hang an electric too far underneath Yak.OK for big water but it would suck in the weeds of Buckhorn.Steelhead Chaser has some videos on YT with an electric off the bow..I know theres some cool torqueedo type drop in motors out there, also the Bixpy, but they are mostly $2k... A Hobie fin drive is worth $1400!!! 

The ipilot would just be a bow mount. Ive see on you tube guys making custom mounts to fit one in the Pdl spot like the old town Ipilot.  The torqueedo and bixy are cool but no spot lock. 

Hit Erie today on the south wind.A bit dicey first thing in the morning didn't know if it was going to hold steady or blow up..Ended up laying down for one of the calmest days I've seen this year...Landed around 20 Smallies with one real Tank...Not the quality size's I hit earlier this week but loads of fish around..Sight fishing was awesome but i couldn't get the really big tanks to commit..Sometimes when the wind lays down it slows the bite and it did today..

On 9/1/2023 at 4:54 PM, Dave said:

Hit Erie today on the south wind.A bit dicey first thing in the morning didn't know if it was going to hold steady or blow up..Ended up laying down for one of the calmest days I've seen this year...Landed around 20 Smallies with one real Tank...Not the quality size's I hit earlier this week but loads of fish around..Sight fishing was awesome but i couldn't get the really big tanks to commit..Sometimes when the wind lays down it slows the bite and it did today..

On the fly rod?

No all on NED rigs.But bite was good enough to bring one I guess.Decided to try more late season spin fishing on Erie going forth..

So appears I have an ankle sprain to add to the bruising I took in the boat launch..Like a dummy I fished on it twice this week.

Now icing and resting....

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

No all on NED rigs.But bite was good enough to bring one I guess.Decided to try more late season spin fishing on Erie going forth..

So appears I have an ankle sprain to add to the bruising I took in the boat launch..Like a dummy I fished on it twice this week.

Now icing and resting....

Take it easy so you can get back out. I’m fishing bronte in the morning