Crazy Unpredictable Fishing Weather

smerchly

I went to C.T. today to pay my monthly bill & it was hot & sunny .When I came out it was pouring rain ! I live 1 km.south of C.T. & when I got home it was still sunny and bone dry . So I got my lawnmower out 10 min. ago , made a few passes until I heard thunder . It is still coming down very heavy with thunder & wind . That must make fishing the lakes very unpredictable lately . The radar now shows very heavy rain over Lake O. with a north wind . I wouldn't want to be out there in any boat right now ! 

I  want to try a few spots at Port D. & picked a couple doz.worms since the ground is moist , hoping the water doesn't mud up too much .....

Just now, verado said:

Smerch, I think it's time we met. If you would like to try for walleye one day on Erie I would be pleased to enjoy your company. You have to bring the worms.

That is mighty fine of you to offer me a fishing trip on Erie Verado . Being 80 now means I pee alot lol and those water pills don't help ! And I have been having " diverticulitis attacks (2 this week) & they put me down for a good hour before the heart attack like pain subsides , thus I stay close to home and near  my van where I can take some meds and lie down . It's pissy getting older !  We sold our trailer at  Deseronto and will soon be selling my boat even though Quinty doesn't get as rough as Erie . 

In my younger days we did some wild trips by boat and canoe from Kapaskasing to the Moose River by canoe . Thank you very much for the offer !

Just now, Chrisb said:

It was hot and sunny all day here in Wainfleet on Lake Erie.

Still raining here but not as hard as earlier ....

1 hour ago, verado said:

Smerch, I think it's time we met. If you would like to try for walleye one day on Erie I would be pleased to enjoy your company. You have to bring the worms.

Very nice offer Verado! This is what fishing is all about . 

1 hour ago, verado said:

I understand completely Smerch, this getting old is a female dog. Golden years my ass

You mean it's a pain in the a$$ getting old ?  lol But on the other hand I'm lucky to be here at 80 and still being able to fish locally .

BTW , my female god is also 80     :unsure:  

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

I went to C.T. today to pay my monthly bill & it was hot & sunny .When I came out it was pouring rain ! I live 1 km.south of C.T. & when I got home it was still sunny and bone dry . So I got my lawnmower out 10 min. ago , made a few passes until I heard thunder . It is still coming down very heavy with thunder & wind . That must make fishing the lakes very unpredictable lately . The radar now shows very heavy rain over Lake O. with a north wind . I wouldn't want to be out there in any boat right now ! 

I  want to try a few spots at Port D. & picked a couple doz.worms since the ground is moist , hoping the water doesn't mud up too much .....

Smerch it’s called online banking lol you can pay your bills while sitting outback drinking a beer :)

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch it’s called online banking lol you can pay your bills while sitting outback drinking a beer :)

I went to my bank yesterday to deposit a check from the sale of our trailer . I like to keep humans working if possible . I then went to Walmart , got a few groceries and as usual get rushed through and made to pack my stuff in my own bags . They want to force us to use the self checkouts ....more jobs lost to technology . I will be getting more groceries at other stores in the future . 

BTW , my old Alcatel phone is only used to call home or "911" . ($35) per year.  

And Port D Guy , I  was looking for you at Port today and I think I fished your walleye spot .... The water level is up and about a foot visibility and the current flow is faster than normal so I used a 3/4 oz.weight with my worm harness . The sky looked mean as the thunder rolled but I got about 30 min.of fishing in before I got soaked.

To my surprise I had a hard hit and the fish was a real strong fighter , using my 10' Okuma rod & 10 lb. mono line. I was thinking I hooked a big sheephead, or channel cat . After 10 minutes or so I finally got it to the surface after a few good runs in the fast current & to my surprise it was a PDG walleye . ;) I didn't weigh it & returned it to the water quickly ( too large to eat ). I 'm guessing it was about 9 lbs. and it is my PB walleye from Port D. after fishing there for nearly 70 years . 

I was also surprised that a walleye could be such a great scrapper . 

Fun day !   :Gonefishing:

Port Walleye.JPG

15 minutes ago, smerchly said:

And Port D Guy , I  was looking for you at Port today and I think I fished your walleye spot .... The water level is up and about a foot visibility and the current flow is faster than normal so I used a 3/4 oz.weight with my worm harness . The sky looked mean as the thunder rolled but I got about 30 min.of fishing in before I got soaked.

To my surprise I had a hard hit and the fish was a real strong fighter , using my 10' Akuma rod & 10 lb. mono line. I was thinking I hooked a big sheephead, or channel cat . After 10 minutes or so I finally got it to the surface after a few good runs in the fast current & to my surprise it was a PDG walleye . ;) I didn't weigh it & returned it to the water quickly ( too large to eat ). I 'm guessing it was about 9 lbs. and it is my PB walleye from Port D. after fishing there for nearly 70 years . 

I was also surprised that a walleye could be such a great scrapper . 

Fun day !   :Gonefishing:

Port Walleye.JPG

Holly smokes smerch that’s a tank 

Just now, Port_D_Guy said:

That's great Smerchly. Don't wait for "nice weather", just go do it.

It looked like rain but it looked like it was clearing & I figured there wouldn't be many other nut jobs fishing there , but the 'free' parking was hard to find as usual . I think they were all in the doh-nut shop !  Worms are easy to get from the back yard since the rains & I have a wee fridge in my garage to keep them comfy .

Next time we get some nasty weather we could meet up & I'll give you some free tips ......   B)

51 minutes ago, smerchly said:

It looked like rain but it looked like it was clearing & I figured there wouldn't be many other nut jobs fishing there , but the 'free' parking was hard to find as usual . I think they were all in the doh-nut shop !  Worms are easy to get from the back yard since the rains & I have a wee fridge in my garage to keep them comfy .

Next time we get some nasty weather we could meet up & I'll give you some free tips ......   B)

PM me. I may go in the morning.

Just now, Bubba14 said:

That's a beauty Bill and good job with the release, keep those genetics in the lake!

That one was on steriods .  When it got into the fast current it took 3 fast runs to the bottom . For a while I was thinking 'sturgeon' as I have hooked a few in the harbour . His/her kids should be great athletes !

And today , I thought I may have hooked his/her bro/sista . It also did the deep dive current thing but it turned out to be a nasty ill tempered sheepshead !  But I sure enjoyed the fight on the 10'5" rod .

The gobies were stealing my worms too and they paid the ultimate price.... causing me to keep baiting up !  As I was about to leave a nice little channel cat decided to come for lunch ....nice to get a variety of fish , you never know what will take your bait next cast .....

port drum.JPG

port channel cat.JPG

30 minutes ago, smerchly said:

That one was on steriods .  When it got into the fast current it took 3 fast runs to the bottom . For a while I was thinking 'sturgeon' as I have hooked a few in the harbour . His/her kids should be great athletes !

And today , I thought I may have hooked his/her bro/sista . It also did the deep dive current thing but it turned out to be a nasty ill tempered sheepshead !  But I sure enjoyed the fight on the 10'5" rod .

The gobies were stealing my worms too and they paid the ultimate price.... causing me to keep baiting up !  As I was about to leave a nice little channel cat decided to come for lunch ....nice to get a variety of fish , you never know what will take your bait next cast .....

port drum.JPG

port channel cat.JPG

Nice harness smerch. 
it’s nice fishing where you never know what could end up on your line. 
(your net is on route to be delivered. Had to wait a week until  they finished inventory)

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Nice harness smerch. 
it’s nice fishing where you never know what could end up on your line. 
(your net is on route to be delivered. Had to wait a week until  they finished inventory)

Home made harness , I like those bright colours in tainted waters. 

Thanks for ordering the net , I need a larger one for those 14 lb. eyes......  ;)

We got a ton of rain again last night !  I have some big puddles of water in my back yard ....may be good or bad for the farmers . 

There are lots of grapes , corn and soy bean fields close to my home , I hope all this rain doesn't damage the crops .

I was hoping to see some of my fishing spots , like Port Dal. clear up a tad or two , but here we go again ,  more catfish !  

On 7/27/2023 at 8:44 AM, smerchly said:

We got a ton of rain again last night !  I have some big puddles of water in my back yard ....may be good or bad for the farmers . 

There are lots of grapes , corn and soy bean fields close to my home , I hope all this rain doesn't damage the crops .

I was hoping to see some of my fishing spots , like Port Dal. clear up a tad or two , but here we go again ,  more catfish !  

Just when the rivers settled. Hopefully we don’t get too much rain today. 
going to fish saugeen tomorrow night for catts. 

Been raining steady here all morning . Coming down pretty heavy now ( 11:35) 

The difference between now and when I moved here is much more water runs into the streets and down the drains to the lake, whereas in 81 when I bought this house ($37,000  lol) my back yard view was a 10 acre field and we had ditches in the front with many acres of grapes just across the road so most of the rain water went into the ground . Now all that land is full of housing .....anyone looking for a house?.....one opposite my back yard only $850,000 ....   :)