Dunnville

Tyler0420

Went out yesterday and dodged thunder storms. Kayaking was alright but kinda tricky sometimes with gusting winds 40+km/h.  Managed one 17” walleye and a rock bass drop shoting dew worms.  Nothing trolling cranks nothing on top water. Wanted to try that channel that goes around the dam but the winds were too crazy in there. Was a great day out 

IMG_3388.jpeg

IMG_3391.jpeg

Nice eye Tyler , good size for eating .I used to get a few on a yellow Cotton Cordell crankbait . Yellow-oramge seemed to get their attention in that brown water.

One time the 2 of us got our limits drifting near Steve Hardcastles marina/shop . It was windy and we were using large yellow lead heads with a worm . That was my best day catching eyes there , a few decades ago ...... 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Nice eye Tyler , good size for eating .I used to get a few on a yellow Cotton Cordell crankbait . Yellow-oramge seemed to get their attention in that brown water.

One time the 2 of us got our limits drifting near Steve Hardcastles marina/shop . It was windy and we were using large yellow lead heads with a worm . That was my best day catching eyes there , a few decades ago ...... 

I’ll have to try out your techniques smerch. I’m sure I’ll be back there. 
found some nice back Eddie’s that I think I could sit in and fish for catts. 

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:

I have caught many eyes out there, however the incidental channel cats I caught always out numbered the eyes. Made for a good time.

I can’t wait to get a decent one out of the yak. 

1 hour ago, knightfisher said:

I have caught many eyes out there, however the incidental channel cats I caught always out numbered the eyes. Made for a good time.

Did you fish from a boat? What would the be best technique to catching them outta the yak?

- drifting with bait just off bottom

- anchored/fishing around a fallen tree

- anchor/fishing small back Eddie’s in the weeds

or any other ways?

6 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Did you fish from a boat? What would the be best technique to catching them outta the yak?

- drifting with bait just off bottom

- anchored/fishing around a fallen tree

- anchor/fishing small back Eddie’s in the weeds

or any other ways?

Was in my Sportspal canoe, which has an electric, however I was just drifting with worms bouncing along the bottom. I would drift for a mile or so, and went back to the dam and drifted again.

A few years back Bill-smerch and I were fishing the Grand from the dam down about a mile or so and  because I had a motor-electric- on the Sportspal the OPP came along aside us and asked me for my fishing license and boating card. Was surprised they came over to check us out. Motor is a motor I guess.

9 hours ago, knightfisher said:

A few years back Bill-smerch and I were fishing the Grand from the dam down about a mile or so and  because I had a motor-electric- on the Sportspal the OPP came along aside us and asked me for my fishing license and boating card. Was surprised they came over to check us out. Motor is a motor I guess.

They probably wanted to check for booze and safety devises like paddles .lol

It looks like we may get a lot of rain today , up to 50mm ....nothing new here this year .

This summer doesn't jive with the 'global warming' in this area . I should have planted rice in my back yard !

Off to my sisters to do dig out more weeds for her...hopefully the rain holds back for a few hrs.

11 hours ago, knightfisher said:

The opp was out there when I was there but they cruised on by and pulled their boat out at the marina in the channel. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

The opp was out there when I was there but they cruised on by and pulled their boat out at the marina in the channel. 

I'm always glad to see the OPP on the water . There is a lot more boat traffic now from yaks to super charged cigar boats .

Those of us in small craft need to be very visable . I think it's time to have speed limits in some areas . The police can use drones now to watch and I.D. the idiots on the water.