Lake Gibson, too quiet?

Cabanaboy

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed this year the fishing was way slower at Lake Gibson in multiple spots. It seems that every spot that I go to that I used to do really good I either has a really small fry or really small fish under 5 pounds, most spots are also being littered a lot more and it just seems like it’s been a slow year. I don’t know if the weather has been playing a factor or all of the work that they have been doing with putting in those new buoys. Just seems like I could target species in certain areas and this year. They are pulling up empty. Thoughts on this topic anybody?

I fish Gibby & Moody for carp mostly and this year has been slower than usual . I used to fish for pike there but it has been slow also according to guys who have targeted pike . You said "under 5 lbs" which is not bad for bass or pike or the odd channel cat . I drove past there Fridy at noon & saw 2 guys fishing from the old road  near the Merriville bridge. Garbage has always been a problem in some spots but not always done by anglers . There are a lots of slobs out there who have no repect for our environment ,,,,,or themselves .

I'm hoping to see better action as the water cools off and I'll be fishing for carp and I'll take some pike baits if the carp don't want to play . Good luck in the comming weeks .

9 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Well I’m glad it isn’t just me who has been noticing. I just find I’ve gone to high percentage areas and it’s taken a HUGE decline in fish numbers, not necessarily looking for giants, but just numbers in general, whether it was bass or pike. I’m hoping the cooler temps create more feeding activity for these fish as well. Lots of garbage was always a problem, but it never seems to get dull the more I go out sadly. 

I always look for disgarded fishing line at all my shore spots . We have lost enough shore spots already . Also beware of tossed needles from the addicts that visit those spots.

some anglers take their youn kids shore fishing so check out the scene thoroughly.

11 hours ago, Cabanaboy said:

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed this year the fishing was way slower at Lake Gibson in multiple spots. It seems that every spot that I go to that I used to do really good I either has a really small fry or really small fish under 5 pounds, most spots are also being littered a lot more and it just seems like it’s been a slow year. I don’t know if the weather has been playing a factor or all of the work that they have been doing with putting in those new buoys. Just seems like I could target species in certain areas and this year. They are pulling up empty. Thoughts on this topic anybody?

Yeah, those 4.5 lb bass are annoying. 😉

42 minutes ago, smerchly said:

No water craft allowed at Gibson . You may see the MNR boat there checking out fish species ,ect.  

I see security vehicles there from time to time. Once I talked to one of them and asked if it was ok to fish from shore and he said yes. How about on the water? No.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Are there really 5lbers in gibby? I think he means .5lber

"either has a really small fry or really small fish under 5 pounds"

OP's words.

For several years now some "new Canadians" have been taking every fish they catch. Many are only 3 to 5 inches in length. This is not an exaggeration, you just have to look in their pails to see what they are keeping. The fish don't get a chance to grow...........................Daniel

1 hour ago, Port_D_Guy said:

I see security vehicles there from time to time. Once I talked to one of them and asked if it was ok to fish from shore and he said yes. How about on the water? No.

"either has a really small fry or really small fish under 5 pounds"

OP's words.

Ya most of these ponds/lakes have bass smaller than 5lbs, we don’t live in Florida 

of course there’s some chunks here and there. 

5 hours ago, hometownhandyman said:

Is there a boat launch into Lake Gibson? 

There used to be a half ass launch good enough for a 14' tinner in the middle pond of the 3 at Beaver dams and Marrlatts. We would launch a couple tinners and boot around with minn kotas back in the day. The only thing they said was no gas engines. This was almost 30 years ago but we did fish those first 2 ponds alot... we did get the very odd 5 pounder but most largies we caught were closer to 2 pounds from what I remember. I am sure like anywhere easy access fishing there has been on a downhill slide from how I remember it

Just now, bigugli said:

There is a small army of "people" ( I'm being polite) fishing along the roads every weekend. No wonder the fishing is tougher.  I have given up picking up after them.

I can show you many places where I "used to fish" that are now "no tresspassing " signs .  

As mentioned years ago , anglers who fish across the border said they noticed they have better law enforcement for trashy people . 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I can show you many places where I "used to fish" that are now "no tresspassing " signs .  

As mentioned years ago , anglers who fish across the border said they noticed they have better law enforcement for trashy people . 

Just about anywhere in the USA  has much tougher enforcement when it comes to Game and Fish or littering. Many states have minimum fines starting at $500