Beware when shopping

smerchly

Got me a few groceries today , insane wait a checkout (I don't do selfies) lol

So I spotting these nice fat turnips & the big sign said " 97 cents" ...good price for  a large turnip , but.....

I happen to see the 'fine print' that said "per pound"  !  So I weighed one & it went just over 6 lbs. ,so that would cost over $6:00 

Same thing with the butternut squash , BIG sign saying 77 CENTS  and off in the corner the fine print says "per lb." The stores know what they are doing to  con us 

But smercho is too smart for them now !  

Take your time and read the fine print when you think you are getting a bargain . Maybe they should say only $2.10 per Kg. or 21 cents per 100 gms.  lol 

....and that's my rant for today !   😡 

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Got caught like that one time on Cabbage, gone are the days of a whole cabbage or turnip for under a buck

Ha !  They got me on the cabbage too Dave .  I didn't know until I got home and checked my receipt .

4 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Turnips Bill......:nea:

I don't know if they were turnips or rutabagas and they were almost as big as my head !  (great for 10 pin bowling !)

But I bought some sweet potatoes instead as our little wild man Duke likes them too .

On 12/18/2023 at 7:19 PM, Tyler0420 said:

That kinda stuff gets my gf all the time. Cherries are the worst. Sometimes $18 a bag. But it only says “6.99” 

Cherries and grapes in those crummy bags that get picked over , best to weigh them first . I like how they still price things with the "99 cents" when we don't have a one cent coin now . My new freezer was "only" $999.99 , on sale . 

Add the $130.00 tax .....They really think we are dummies !   

Read a story this morning showing a guy holding a Mcdons fish-o-fillet that has been 'deflated' . One guy said they thought it was a minnow inside the bun .

It's been over 3 years since I had a McTrip.  but I hear the coffee is better than Tim H.... and cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

And that is why I buy most of my bulk produce at a real farmer's market.  Although in the fall bushel prices for tomatoes and peppers are comparable at times.  Even at the farmers market you have to be watchful for the jobbers and cons

On 12/18/2023 at 7:14 PM, smerchly said:

Ha !  They got me on the cabbage too Dave .  I didn't know until I got home and checked my receipt .

I got a cabbage at .49 cents a pound at Superstore yesterday, lowest price I've seen in a while, big ones too

I like the super store as they have 2 conveyers at the check out . Wally at 4th Ave. is often very slow and I refuse to check out my own goods . We already use our own bags and pack them ourselves . I like the smaller stores too as they have nice veggies on sale . We have Big Reds , Farm boy , Harvest Barn and some road side places too.