Cleaning Fish

smerchly

In my younger days we scaled many of our fish and fried them with the skin intact & removed the bones after cooking them.

We scaled fish like bass perch , pike , pickerel , silvers and the larger gills . If the fish dried too much scaling was not easy so either soak them or fillet them.

THIS came up on You Tube today and it worked very efficiently ....easy to make , and can be used for a back scratcher also .  :nea:

Screenshot 2024-01-29 171229.jpg

I remember scailing many a perch in my younger days.  Then cutting of head and fins and gutting. We would fry the fish and then pull on the back bone and all the ribs would come out. Scales would fly all over the place until we learned a neat trick to hold the fish under water while you fillet it.

1 hour ago, RJR said:

hold the fish under water while you fillet it.

Good idea Rick !   When you scale and gut them and take the backbone out after frying them there is less waste . I just back back from Wally's and got 2 cans of chunk tuna ....no scaling required .  

I remember my father telling me about this when I was a kid, but I have never tried scaling a fish and keeping the skin on like that.

With the exception of trout where I will cook whole or steamed skin down (but no scaling), I fillet most fish.