Buying Fly Fishing Stuff

Port_D_Guy

I settled on a 4wt 8'6" combo.

And bought a bunch of flies to start with.

Not looking for anything large. Just anything that'll hit these flies. Especially on dry flies.

Half the fun will be seeing which ones catch the most.

I know presentation is a large part of it, but still....its just about fun and discovery.

IMG_20240417_154050.jpg

5 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

I settled on a 4wt 8'6" combo.

And bought a bunch of flies to start with.

Not looking for anything large. Just anything that'll hit these flies. Especially on dry flies.

Half the fun will be seeing which ones catch the most.

I know presentation is a large part of it, but still....its just about fun and discovery.

IMG_20240417_154050.jpg

The two on bottom right 👍

the best fly I ever used was a egg sucking leach with the redhead a bass magnet. 

haven’t tried dry flies

four weight  is a little light to toss medium to big flies. perfect for your dry flies.

Those streamers aren't bigger than the two woolly buggers. So may be ok and the largest I should go.
Best way to learn is by doing and making mistakes. Eventually this 4wt will be dedicated for a certain style of fishing.

Looking forward to trout opener, that could include chubs, shiners, suckers and ?

1 hour ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Those streamers aren't bigger than the two woolly buggers. So may be ok and the largest I should go.
Best way to learn is by doing and making mistakes. Eventually this 4wt will be dedicated for a certain style of fishing.

Looking forward to trout opener, that could include chubs, shiners, suckers and ?

Good luck with the fly fishing. Hope you hit the jackpot on opener. 

Dave has a lot more experience than I do so all I'll say is don't feel limited to bass or trout.  Bluegills, crappie etc are a blast on a 4 weight and you'll get lots of casting practice as well as learning to detect subtle strikes to  sub-surface flies.  Keep your rod tip low on the retrieve and watch the end of your fly line like a hawk.

Have fun

The main thing will be getting to used to the casting and control of that fly line.

See how the three spots I plan on fishing go. Going to be condition dependent for sure.

Definitely planning for panfish, but they'll be more active in later May.

I'm always thinking about using 'unconventional' ways to rig up and use baits in a different way .Some here may know Bill Trush ( Pierogi Bill )and he liked fishing for pannies with a light fly rod and reel & his rigs were very light using one small shot to take a 1" minnow, fly or a 2" piece of fish belly to bottom and let it sink & lightly jerk it ,pause & slowly retrieve . He sometimes hooked a pike which cost him the rig but he did well with various pannies on the 2-4 lb mono line.

I will try his  method when I get my canoe in the water  checking for leaks & take a light rod & float in 4 to 8 fow. (prob. hook a carp) !  

Have fun PDG !

• 2 weeks later...

A 8' 6" 4wt. will be fine for southern Ontario...For a starter pack I would bring 3 nymph patterns that are must have's. A pheasant tail in size #14-#16..The same sizes in a Hare's Ear nymphs. You can use the natural Hare's Ear and olive is good to.... A pattern thats called the Hoover which is a a Hare's Ear nymph but with rubber Sili legs..That one is tied in the larger sizes and can pass for a Stone fly nymph....Of course there are many more but these are the staple must have's.....Use them weighted or add small shot...

For Dry flys just use Emerger patterns.Either with Snow shoe rabbit wing or Deer hair....Best tied on curved shank dry fly hooks 

( Emerger hooks)..But you can tie them on the regular dry fly hooks..The Snow shoe rabbit wings are awesome as they float like a cork...Mostly everything in a size #12-16....These are just some of the basic staples...

I've lost my enthusiasm for resident stream trout..It usually requires a long car ride through crowded highways now to get to the Credit or Grand...Saltwater fly fishing ruined me, I need big fish that pull like stink now LOL!  

The best investment you can make starting out fly fishing is lessons and lots of casting practice. Then how to read the water to find the fish. Then how the present your fly. Fun once it comes together, frustrating until it does.