Fishing the saugeen river for brookies

cplummer

Headed to the saugeen to fish with my pal John. 
limits were too quick. We spent 3 days camping. Although we got a whack ton of rain. We dealt with it. These fish were all from the saugeen river. All wild fish. 
IMG_1833.jpeg

IMG_1834.jpeg

Nice outing. I used to fly fish on the Rocky Saugeen not far from Chatsworth...............................Daniel

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

You were born about 60 years too late

Yeah I know they have put in some stocking efforts in Short Hills (C&R only I believe), but I don't actually  know how well that program is going. I see signs when walking my dog. Personally, I wouldnt mess with that area if its that sensitive. 

I do have some Brookie spots, but they're at least a 2 hour drive from where I am in Niagara. 

14 minutes ago, honeyv said:

Yeah I know they have put in some stocking efforts in Short Hills (C&R only I believe), but I don't actually  know how well that program is going. I see signs when walking my dog. Personally, I wouldnt mess with that area if its that sensitive. 

I do have some Brookie spots, but they're at least a 2 hour drive from where I am in Niagara. 

We got them as a teen in the '60's up to 14 inch was my best, the Shorthils Park area was actually downstream of the better fishery and stream habitat. Lived in Port Rowan for a while in the 70's, there were a few there in Norfolk County back then if you knew where to look

9 minutes ago, dave524 said:

We got them as a teen in the '60's up to 14 inch was my best, the Shorthils Park area was actually downstream of the better fishery and stream habitat. Lived in Port Rowan for a while in the 70's, there were a few there in Norfolk County back then if you knew where to look

I'd imagine a lot of developement in the region has to do with the loss of habitat. 

12 hours ago, honeyv said:

I'd imagine a lot of developement in the region has to do with the loss of habitat. 

Not really , it was a very localized area and only about a half dozen homes built in the last 60 years there

6 hours ago, dave524 said:

Not really , it was a very localized area and only about a half dozen homes built in the last 60 years there

I've been fishing the same streams since I was a child...  so I wonder what happened to cause the loss of Brook Trout here. 🤔 

6 hours ago, honeyv said:

I've been fishing the same streams since I was a child...  so I wonder what happened to cause the loss of Brook Trout here

We fished for brook trout at the upper most part of the 12 Mile Creek from the Scout Camp (Wetaskiwin) to the hamlet of Effingham where cold springs fed the streams. 

There was a 6' waterfall there and we got kicked out by a mad lady wielding a broom !

Some of the trout made their way to "Jackson's Flats" and the old dam near Power Glen . Maybe things like farm runoff,  and structure changes slowly caused the demise of the trout numbers. There is quite an interesting history about Effingham and the grist mills , one which was owned by a relative of Laura Secord . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effingham,_Ontario

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Maybe things like farm runoff,  and structure changes slowly caused the demise of the trout numbers.

Interesting...

Farm run off can definitely do some knarly damage. One reason I hate kayaking in parts of the Welland River. Last time I brought the yak out on the Welland River (E.C. Brown launch), I had to wash it off with soap because it smelled like sewage after.  

Never fished the Saugeen proper, those ones are beasts!

We used to fish around Chatsworth area back in the 80's, most of the streams you could almost jump across, and most of the trout would be 7 or 8 inches, too small to filet, just gut them and fry up in butter. Good with a side of eggs for breakfast.

We would fish in the morning then drive around and shoot ground hogs in the afternoon, good times!

Same size for the trout in the upper 12 .One guy carried a wicker type basket with a lid and he gutted the brook trout and stuffed  wet grass into the gut cavity . I guess it helped keep them fresh for a while .( like keeping dew worms fresh in wet grass )

Nothing like frying brookies  rolled in flour, fried in butter with skin on and as Surf and Turf said  they make a great breakfast meal with eggs or with fries with dinner .

I'm drooling cliff .....   🤤