Martindale Pond Canoe/Kayak Launch

paul

I was wondering who was responsible for maintenance of the launch.  It's currently a bit of an ankle breaker and has large exposed rocks close to the water making pulling a loaded kayak cart up and down a bit of a nightmare, especially for us older folks.  With all the cash being splashed on the upcoming regatta it would be nice if they could throw some in the direction of the small public launch to make it less of a hazard.

Havet used that launch in a while. Sad to hear it's not been maintained. 

15 hours ago, honeyv said:

Havet used that launch in a while. Sad to hear it's not been maintained. 

The dock has been revived. Its there. Now, the Island doesn't want dog walkers parking up top for "construction" (that hasn't happened yet), so now everybody is parking by the dock. 

Dave, it's very stable, unfortunately I'm not!!  Like most things in life it's a trade-off so it's not the fastest thing afloat with a 35" beam but it's good for stillwater and very slow moving streams.

Tyler, that sounds like good idea.  I'm in the middle of selling my house and moving right now so my free time is limited but I'd certainly be up to sneaking out for an hour to meet and greet.

I'm getting more wobbly to, Paul...So far I haven't managed to tip the Hobie yet..I have a lean bar on mine which is awesome for casting out of....

I would love a more compact boat but just can't spend the money now...I'm so used to peddling now I wouldn't know what to do with a paddle😆

20210920_064934.jpg

Yep, she's a beast!! I can see why you went with a trailer instead of car topping.  I can imagine going from pedal back to paddle would a tough change and I've thought of putting a trolling motor on mine to be honest.

I'd imagine the lean bar would give an added level of confidence when you're standing.  On mine I can fold the seat and fit it in a slot which would act as a lean bar but then, what do you sit on if you get a bit unsteady and have to lower your "centre of gravity"  quickly.

4 hours ago, Dave said:

I'm getting more wobbly to, Paul...So far I haven't managed to tip the Hobie yet..I have a lean bar on mine which is awesome for casting out of....

I would love a more compact boat but just can't spend the money now...I'm so used to peddling now I wouldn't know what to do with a paddle😆

20210920_064934.jpg

The old town 106 comes in Pdl :)

that lean bar is sick

4 hours ago, Dave said:

Tyler, how do you transport that Old Town 106?  I looked at the specs. at its dry weight is 107 lbs!  

I have the 120 

but I put it in the back of my truck. Pull up to the launch and kick it out the back and when I get back I back the truck up and lift/pull the yak up out of the water into the truck.  Easy for me

if you can’t pick it up out of the water you can cart it to you truck, put the nose up on tailgate and push it in. That’s how I load it from my garage. 

107lbs must be with Pdl installed. Take it out for easier lifting. Will save you 10-15lbs probably.