Grand river kayak trip

Anyone do any full day-2day trips down the grand? I’m going to be doing an over nighter on bass opener. Start Saturday morning and finish Sunday evening. I wanna finish in port maitland. Not sure where we should start. I was thinking maybe below Caledonia dam so we only have to portage dunnville. Anyone know how long that stretch would take fishing 10-12hrs each day? 

5 hours ago, Spiel said:

If it's Bass you're after you'd do far better to fish from Paris or Cambridge down to Brantford.

And if you fish that stretch of the Grand you are limited to only artificial lures and one barbless hook,and its catch and release only!

5 hours ago, Spiel said:

If it's Bass you're after you'd do far better to fish from Paris or Cambridge down to Brantford.

I’m not concerned about bass. Just going that weekend for an excuse to get out. 
How’s the depths from Cambridge-Paris? I have a peddle drive and the last thing I wanna do is have to keep pulling it up or have to get out and walk it.  
    I understand below Caledonia is shallow waters but that’s ok I really wanna target below dunnville

2 hours ago, genec said:

And if you fish that stretch of the Grand you ate limited to only artificial lures and one barbless hook!

Paris-Brant park C&R single barbless hook. 
I’m not too concerned about keeping fish. I’ve done Paris-brantford a bunch.(home waters) I wanna fish some newer waters. 

Tyler, if you’re thinking Caledonia to Pt. Maitland in 2 days thats a pretty long haul by pedal yak…approx. 45 Km. according to distance measuring tool in Google Maps.

i think a lot of the stretch from Caledonia to the old railway bridge north of Cayuga has many shallow sections to deal with.

It might be more realistic to launch in Cayuga and head downriver…deep water all the way.

That would give you far more time to focus on the Dunnville to Pt. Maitland section if thats your main stretch of interest.

And on the right bank in Dunnville just above the dam is Byng Park for campground w washrooms.

If you do decide to go, PM me and I will try to send you a couple maps with some fishing spots to try by Bing and downstream of Dunnville.

1 hour ago, genec said:

Tyler, if you’re thinking Caledonia to Pt. Maitland in 2 days thats a pretty long haul by pedal yak…approx. 45 Km. according to distance measuring tool in Google Maps.

i think a lot of the stretch from Caledonia to the old railway bridge north of Cayuga has many shallow sections to deal with.

It might be more realistic to launch in Cayuga and head downriver…deep water all the way.

That would give you far more time to focus on the Dunnville to Pt. Maitland section if thats your main stretch of interest.

And on the right bank in Dunnville just above the dam is Byng Park for campground w washrooms.

If you do decide to go, PM me and I will try to send you a couple maps with some fishing spots to try by Bing and downstream of Dunnville.

Thanks gene. I’ll definitely take the launching at Cayuga into consideration. That sounds better. I know through Caledonia is shallow and our yaks will be weighed down more than usual. 

16 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’m not concerned about bass. Just going that weekend for an excuse to get out. 
How’s the depths from Cambridge-Paris? I have a peddle drive and the last thing I wanna do is have to keep pulling it up or have to get out and walk it.  
    I understand below Caledonia is shallow waters but that’s ok I really wanna target below dunnville

Ya, you'd definitely have issues with your peddle drive anywhere of above Cayuga. You can put in right at the bridge in Cayuga, spend one day above the Dunnville Dam (there's lots of water to cover) and one day below. There's Walleye to be had along with Pike, Crappie, Gar and Mooneye as well as all the coarse species, Cats, Carp, Bowfin, Sheephead, Suckers....etc.

35 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Ya, you'd definitely have issues with your peddle drive anywhere of above Cayuga. You can put in right at the bridge in Cayuga, spend one day above the Dunnville Dam (there's lots of water to cover) and one day below. There's Walleye to be had along with Pike, Crappie, Gar and Mooneye as well as all the coarse species, Cats, Carp, Bowfin, Sheephead, Suckers....etc.

Thanks for the info spiel. So pumped for this trip. 

14 hours ago, genec said:

Looks like this will be our 1/2 way spot. Going to get a water site so we don’t have to stay on an island and we have somewhere to store our camping equipment instead of yaking the river with it. 
Going to get the site for Friday so I can bait the area for Saturday night carping. I might have todo a 12hr carp tournament that night. 

20 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks for the info spiel. So pumped for this trip. 

Enjoy. I expect to see lots of pictures.  ;)
FYI....years ago while camping at Byng with my kids my youngest daughter nailed a big Northern that was in excess of 20lbs. I'd suggest a good wire leader.  :D

35 minutes ago, Spiel said:

Enjoy. I expect to see lots of pictures.  ;)
FYI....years ago while camping at Byng with my kids my youngest daughter nailed a big Northern that was in excess of 20lbs. I'd suggest a good wire leader.  :D

Hopefully lots of fish pics will be posted. 

Water being shallow and very little current in this stretch, you can expect to being in this stretch for about

four hours or so.  If using an electric, you will make it quicker, but make sure to have it sitting high so it's not bouncing off the rocks. Don't know what you are after, but I have launched in Dunnville in my canoe and fished near the dam  and caught every kind of fish there and including  what comes in from Lake Erie

.:Gonefishing:

7 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Water being shallow and very little current in this stretch, you can expect to being in this stretch for about

four hours or so.  If using an electric, you will make it quicker, but make sure to have it sitting high so it's not bouncing off the rocks. Don't know what you are after, but I have launched in Dunnville in my canoe and fished near the dam  and caught every kind of fish there and including  what comes in from Lake Erie

.:Gonefishing:

The target species will be anything that bites probably drag worm harnesses and crank baits. 

9 hours ago, knightfisher said:

Water being shallow and very little current in this stretch,

Looking at navionics Cayuga-dunnville looks pretty deep. 0-20fow

2 hours ago, Dave said:

I would be watching the York turbidity gauge before you decide on a drift trip..Unless you like fishing dirtier water...York is above

Cayuga.With all the T-storms predicted for this week you could easily get a blow out of muddy water..

https://apps.grandriver.ca/waterdata/kiwischarts/wq_turbidity.aspx#gsc.tab=0

Thanks I’ll check it out. 
I’ll be going rain or shine,thunderstorms or high winds. 
The plan is launch from byng maybe go up river a couple hours and come back down. 
Saturday night I have a carp tournament 7pm-7am and going to be fishing it from my campsite. 
Sunday morning launch below the dam and finish up in port maitland. 
If the weather ruins any of these plans then I’ll be carp fishing when the weather isn’t co operating. 

Nice Walleye! Those water temperatures are crazy..I was looking at the Grand river water data and York had peaked at 30C.,thats damn hot.Why are those Carp reels

so HUGE? They look bigger than some saltwater reels.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Nice Walleye! Those water temperatures are crazy..I was looking at the Grand river water data and York had peaked at 30C.,thats damn hot.Why are those Carp reels

so HUGE? They look bigger than some saltwater reels.

Their 14000 series reels. Bigger spools help with distance casting and I can fish wherever I want almost…. Even if I can’t cast that far I can drop rigs with my kayak.  And if I get that 40lber I’m not getting spooled. 

Thanks for the explanation.How long are the rods? I've read on a FlyFishing forum that guys were using Carp rod blanks to build two handed fly rods for saltwater. I will post an interesting video if I can find it...