Rec Canal

captnn

Whats up boys, I just came back from the rec canal to check the ice. There is still lots of thin spots but for the most part there seems to be about 3 inches or so on there. A few more cold nights and it should be sweet. I seen a guy out there today he had about 8 or 9 holes put down. Still to thin for this kid. I'm going to wait a few more days and off i go.

I was the guy who had 8 or 9 holes put in and I am not crazy. 4" of ice. Kept 25 perch. Big N lives around the corner from me. Was making ice steady first holes were froze over 1/2" in 3 hrs

Hey captnn....you cwazy ...... :lol: . If you can do ....so can I ! :worthy: ....since I only go 155 lbs. :o Way to go on a nice perch dinner . I'm getting my rods ready , like now ! :blahblah1: Thanks for the info ! Look for the bright orange coat.......and the NFN toque ! :worthy:

Denis I was using minnows. Right now I don't need any grubs thanks. Smerch I was fishing south of the bridge. Was checked out by the ministry. They wanted to know where I got my minnows. They said that a few dealers will be getting licenses to sell minnows in stock.

Hellfish that is not open water on shore. It is water on the ice,I think from the level rising a bit. Get fished as far as I am concerned the ice is okay for me. I weigh 190 lbs. If you are fishing for perch fish close to the bottom with minnows or grubs. If you don't feel comfortable going on the ice stay off till there are more people out. Probably more out in the next couple of days.

I've been waiting with antici----pation for some hard water. At least I can get out tomorrow. After that its sunny Florida skies and Hawg heaven. Never tried the Dain City side before. Always had enough luck at the corner.

Went out to day and kept 15 perch. Ice in front of carbide docks to the the bridge and 30' from east shore only 1 1/2". Watched Smerchly drilling a hole with his invention. Saw a flash and he was laying on the ice. I guess that he was all right because he got up and made some holes with Pope's auger.

Was out there as well by the rowing club and caught a big ol nothing seen a huge channel cat a large mouth and a perch on the camera before I realized I forgot to charge the battery since last time I was out so that did'nt last long. Shoreline was crap with more and more water gathering but there was 2 1/2" to 3" of good ice. Seen few Jumbos caught aswell. Nice mild day to be out. To bad the wife had to go to work and had to be back by 10:00 to watch the boy. Maybe tomorrow..........

niagarafisher

hmmm a big flash and Smerchly was down eh?..I guess he will be taking the new invention back for a refund?..glad he is ok

also good to see that the Ministry is out there checking on bait buckets, no nice pike caught?....need some big chubs.

Hope everyone made it out of there safe, today is getting a bit warm again for the ice.

Yep !!!! Back to the drawing board Nick.......The brand new 18 volt drill went for 30 sec. and blew up ! Could you see the smoke after that bright flash ? :lol: I will be taking that cheap China job back to Ch.Tire for a refund ...can't even handle a 6" drill !! :blink: I used 2 rods today ...one very light perch rod with 4 lb line with a small minnow on a tear drop , and a heavier rod with 8 lb. and 30 lb floro leader with 2 fat 3" chubs . Got a hit right away on the chubs ....took the clip float down & had a good fish on for 3 secs. and lost it ..... got a few dink bites after that & ole Dr.Bob hooked a dink rocket about a pound & a dink perch . Bob left (got cold feet) :lol: to buy himself some new boots & come back with a new pr. of Sorrels ( -100) & a new float suit . He decided on the suit when I turned the auger three turns & broke through the ice....about 1" thick !!! :worthy: Stay away from the east shore at least 50 feet !!!! Just as I was getting ready to leave at dark I got a hit on the light rod and thought I had a good perch . It came up easily until it got within 10 ' of the hole and took off . He fought for about 5 min. before I saw it was a good pike and my friend tried several times to grab it , but it would take off again . I knew that 4 lb line was going to snap or get bit off if that tear drop was inside it's yapper, but he got a good hold behind the head & put it on the ice . The teardrop was 4" inside it's mouth ! ...and didn't cut that thin line !!! Thanks to the young fella who lives near by for hand grabbing that toothy critter ! I gave him our web site name ....hope to see him sign up !

The pike measured a nice fat 25.5" ....maybe go about 4 lbs..... and there's a mark on the other side that looks like a lamprey mark ! Here' a pic ....

rec.canal%20pike.jpg

The water has dropped and the shoreline was being flooded because of the mild temps today...

rec.%20water%20low.jpg

Glad to see you had a change in fortunes. Nice snake :lol: It was a pleasure meeting yourself and Pope. That one rumble in the ice I felt through my boots. Next few days of cold should give some added thickness to the ice. On my way to Florida in the morning. :lol::blink::worthy:

Smerchly. I saw that auger really spinning when it started up. The guys fishing between you and I had one small pike and missed 5 in the short time they were there, a couple of perch. They were on the ice in the marina in Pt Col and were catching small perch to day. Playing in the finals in the morning. Nick

Guest canadadude

Nice pike smerch :blink::lol: I checked out your perch hole on martindale beside the Timmies and some dude had a Pikie much the same as yours :lol: about 4" of ice there and ther getting some perch! I'm still drifting for trouties but I stop to see whats happening on the ice

Thanks Canadadude , glad to see there's some ice there now . Good luck on the trouties ! Think I might give the perchies a try . Hey Pope , you game ? :lol: I got some minnies !

Nice to meet you guys biguglies ! I laughed when the ice craked how we all backed off a few feet from each other ! :blink:

Have a look at the mark on the pike .....it looks like a lamprey got it ....but never thought they would be in the rec canal .........

pike%20lamprey.jpg

Good job on the pike smerch. That water is way down. 1'' of ice :D

You guys really much have the itch. If I was out there you guys would

of felt a slight tremor, which would of been me shaking in my boots :rolleyes:

hey nice fish Smerch. too bad about your drill/auger thingy for sure, that mjst have been a surprize, wow the water looks way down for sure, hopefully we get some colder weather for you guys and some better safer ice conditions for sure.

Pope if you are looking for bait, go to that place you met me last time we went out :rolleyes:

Archived