St. Catharines Game & Fish Meeting

nittro

:o I went ,I saw, I dunno? A lot of talk about the 'glory days' but not much else. Pretty good talk on Pheasant habitat, but the fellow got lost on side issues.

Hey Smerch! Didn't recognize you out of your ice gear and all cleaned up at first. :P

:) I would have went to the meeting but didn't want to give everyone my cold. The idea of that meeting was to try and get the past Pres. to put on a seminar in 3 weeks to try and raise some $$$$ for the club. I don't think you can put something like this togeather in 3 weeks and expect high ticket sales. It take at least 1 year to put a good seminar togeather. If you noticed the youngest guy there may have been Smerchy this is the problem. A new younger core of anglers NEED to step in and talk about things that they can relate to and not have to go home to ask grampa what they were talking about.I have said it before and nobody seems to understand what I was trying to do in my last term. If this don't happen you will see the longest runing club in niagara go tits up and we will also lose the best ramp in niagara. There is alot of things that a new core could acomplish and keep going,alot of you have told me some great ideas but without bringing these ideas to the club it won't happen. So join the club bring your ideas and when the wheelchair bergade sees that the club will servive without them they will not show up to shutt down any new changes,and new changes have to be made to bring this club to the 20th century.

I hear you bigugli, I was thinking sort of the same thing. However with the various ex presidents

there last night, memory lane was to be expected. Some good points were brought up. Though

some discussion should of been on how to get the club back to being successful.

I will attend the next meeting and see where it goes from there. Unfortunately a whole month

will pass by, and unless the current members are talking on the phone or something, nothing

much will develop I would guess from now to the next meeting :)

Yes Rob , I was the youngest dude there ......don't think my 25 yr.old grandaughter would have been too interested in that meeting ! :) But I did enjoy Ron Penfound's talk ! He has been around a while and seems to have a good memory of the events from way back . The pheasant presentation was very informative and the talks about the local farm problems with coyotes , deer and ferral cats was interesting . We didn't finish up till 10:30 after Percy came up with the seminar idea to raise money for the club.......and I agree , it can't be done in 3 weeks ......even 3 months would be a rush . One idea that came up again was the kids derby being expanded to include Martindale Pond ........We need to have more input on this one ...Hope to see some new people come out next month and get some young minds working here ! :dunno:

I guess we could have a real good discussion, huddled around our holes on Martindale. Might even get around to solving a problem or two. Unless, of course, the fish are biting. :)

Did anyone suggest making a donation to the Pheasants Forever group or that the club send a sponsor to the fundraising Dinner coming up at the Beacon? ;)

Did anyone relay the recent media watch announcments made by the OFAH? This is what clubs are supposed to do! We let the outdoor community know what the heck is going on out there. A one stop place to get all your outdoor activity news. :dunno:

How about this one. Did anyone suggest the SCGFA sent a letter to Town Council in NOTL reguarding their attempt to charge a fee to fish on public property :) ?

If you young guys step up and ask these questions there will be no time for glory day recaps! This is why I've been asking for help over there. Now some of you have seen the problem. It's easy to fix. Don't go sit and listen to old guys socialize. Go ask questions, make suggestions and get your hands dirty. Draw up a letter on behalf of the club and ask the executive to approve and send it. Drive a nail in the bulletin board and stick the OFAH media watch announcments where people can actually read them. How about EBR postings from the MNR?

Yes these old farts have lost contact with the rest of the world outside of Port Dalhousie. Why don't you young informed anglers get them up to speed.

I'm sorry I can't make the meetings anymore. I have a family and my FECC executive meeting is the night after and the MNR meeting the morning after that........ hey I gotta make at least one of my kids hockey games on my days off. But there are plenty of guys in St Kitts that can kick the crap outa that club and get things going again. At least get St Kits back in the loop ;):D

:) I'm afraid, Chilli, that it will take more than a handful of young guns to turn the SCG&F around. A couple of handfuls and a solid long term plan, maybe. New focus and direction are definately needed. An opening up of the clubhouse more than once a month as a place for sportsmen to congregate might help. Positive P.R. and marketing are a must. But that is only the tip of the iceberg. :Gonefishing::dunno::o

On kids day we had hundreds of people bring their kids for a fun day of fishing . This is a good time to get those parents interested in getting the kids interested in club activities . Teach them to ID fish species .....draw pictures , tell stories etc...etc. . But....in the real world out there , parents today both work ....some have two jobs....kids are into other sports and school homework ...and spend a lot of time at home with computers and games etc. When I was a kid , there was a lot more leisure time.......and I went fishing with my Dad and with friends as I got older . I really don't know how to get the young people into clubs with this busy world we live in ......How did we ever bring the membership up to 3000 ......? and now 30 is a full house ......

I think you have to really get out in the public and promote the club(sounds easy....).

The NFN bass tourney we had last year resulted in 3 or 4 new club members between St.Kitts, Niagara, and Dunnville. Hopefully those guys will tell two friends and they will tell two friends.......

Our bass clubs are going through the same thing. We had over 100 guys between St.kitts and Niagara 3 or 4 years ago and now we probably have less than 50 between us.

Are you planning on having a booth at the Fort Erie show? St.Catharines home show? Grape and wine parade float? I think you have to think outside the box as to where large crowds of people might be or lots of exposure through media. Get the standard/revue to right an article on the sad state of affairs of the club and there might be some people come out of the woodwork to help. Kind of a call to arms. After reading the post on here I was thinking of joining to add another member but I wouldn't have a lot of time to commit to the club.

High School kids have to do so many hours of community service to graduate, perhpas there is something the club could do that needs those kids and it may get them interested. Help set up fishing clubs in the highschools, do talks in the highschools, just throwing out ideas.......

Tom, we are on the same page. The youth are the future, period!

I tabled a few of my ideas along those lines, but there were no members at the meeting to develop the ideas!

Chili has tried to spark some action but too many are content to be naysayers and throw rocks from the safety of their PCs (present company excluded).

I'm certain the club would appreciate your input at some of the general meetings, even as a non-member.

I know I would.

Tight lines and hope to see you on the water.

:lol:Now you guy's are starting to understand what has to be done to put a spark back into this club. The negitivity that has been posted on this site and others HAS TO STOP,If you don't have any input or anything good to say then just shutt up.Because that is not the type of members that this club needs.The best thing that will happen is that the young guns or not so young guns stop the :D;) and just get involved some way, a lot of other anglers may just be followers and not leaders but would join knowing that there would be somthing to join for other than just listening to a bunch of stories from 1930, sure they are great stories to hear but come on guy's the stories will not put a spark into this club. I have said before that I would help as much as I can without doing it myself seeing that I have put in 15 years runing this club, my help would be greatfull.There are alot of good ideas that have been posted on here but putting them here will not get them to the club, when you go to a meeting put these ideas across and you may be surprized the backing you may get from those new members that have sat on their hands in the past. Remember the followers they just may become leaders if someone makes the first move. So as of right now I will not take any more crap and bad posts about this club and If I get tossed from this site for jumping someones ass for a bad comment then so be it. There I have made the first commitment now how about the hand sitters making one now :D Rob McIntosh

Archived