Boating law

fredfisher

Can I take a friend fishing in my boat or must that passenger be from my residence?  

Looking for clarity here,if you can reference that’d be beauty as well ..thanks FF

The latest I could find is this .....

Staying home saves lives; but if you are going to travel on the water, be prepared. The following measures are strongly recommended for all pleasure craft operators and everyone on board:

• If using a pleasure craft, avoid any unnecessary contact with others during your trip and respect your local health authority's measures with respect to the size and make-up of your boating group;
  • A distance of at least 2 metres should be kept from other people and boats as much as possible.

After watching all those guys salmon fishing on the lake with 2 people in most boats , I don't think they are all brothers !!

It’s not being enforced. It’s only a recommendation not a law.  If we can protest 1000’s of people inches away from each other  I’m sure boating with 2-3 is fine. If not bring a sign and say your protesting.  

The only real law right now is a group size maximum of 10 (provincial). Unless you are in a municipality that has another law more restrictive you are fine. There are no federal laws restricting anything.

Those of you saying it is not enforceable ... if they issue the ticket you will have to take it to court to fight it.

Everything put out is very vague, vagueness works to the advantage of those writing tickets but it may not work for the courts.

I got a question.  Can my son drive the boat when i'm trolling or does he really need a pleasure craft operator license like me?  I tried googling but cant find nothing.

1 hour ago, AwolRJ said:

I got a question.  Can my son drive the boat when i'm trolling or does he really need a pleasure craft operator license like me?  I tried googling but cant find nothing.

I'm pretty sure whoever is driving would need thecpleasurecraft card. For what they cost I think it's probably a good idea for anyone who even might drive a boat to get one. . Beats getting a ticket,cause we call know how lenient opp and c/o's can be .lol

Anyone considered to be operating the boat, no matter what the speed or duration, would need a license. If stopped in that scenario, an officer could possibly overlook that but rest assured, everything else would be checked with a fine tooth comb. Two of the more common infractions are your waterproof floating flashlight does not turn on and your life jackets are not in good repair or a proper fit for all passengers. I have a very large friend who likes to fish with me but none of my adult jackets would even come close to fitting him. I always tell him that if he wants to come with me, he has to invest in a jacket that will fit him. Another thing a lot of boaters are not aware of is that the newer inflatable type of life vest is only considered an approved life jacket if it is being worn, unlike the others that only have to be onboard.

4 hours ago, AwolRJ said:

Depending on your son's age and how "he is driving" (trolling at a slow speed to giving it a go) ... it might be up for a discussion, but at the end of the day ... you don't have a G1, you don't get behind the wheel of a car and that would be the counter argument. 

Archived