One maybe two

Steve_Guelph

If you had to choose only one artificial to fish with this coming season for all species what would you pick? For me I banged more fish this year on a simple spinner like a Vibrax or Panther Martin. Perch, crappies, bass, walleye, pike, rainbows and browns, salmon, catfish, drum, and even a carp hooked in the mouth. I usually start by searching for active fish by covering lots of water and my go to is a spinner. After that I switch to my number two choice which is a simple jig. 

I say whatever lure gives you most confidence to use and to catch fish on.

I don't like spinners too much because they twist up line if they don't spin smoothly, even with good swivel.

For me really depends on water I fish, but I would say jig is most effective for all situations.

Think I'd go with Steve for all species . I believe the spinner action "turbulates" the water to drive the fish to investigate the commotion going on .  I have caught various species from trout , bass , perch , drum , etc etc.  Add some worm  to it to increase your chances . 

31 minutes ago, kgm said:

#5 maps black fury with a single hook (no treble hook).  My number one lure, caught more fish on it than any other lure I own.

What type of single hook kgm ...straight shank  ,no bend at the eye ?  Swivel at the hook ?

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

What type of single hook kgm ...straight shank  ,no bend at the eye ?  Swivel at the hook ?

Just a straight shank hook.  I buy them with the eye opened. Cut the treble hook off and then bend the new hooks eye closed.  Works amazing.  Can Texas rig a twister tail and they are almost weedless.  I like the single hook mostly cause I hate unhooking 3 hooks from a fish (usually 1 in the top lip and 2 in the bottom so the fish mouth wont open).

Kwikfish/ flatfish. Proven trout and salmon killer but everything that swims in rivers and creeks loves them. Runner up are cleo's, #3 vibrax and a 3" dropshot minnow or a plain old white bass tube. Same idea everything smashes them. Just a small sample of variety from this fall showing different plugs. Find these more effective than spinners as I can slow the retrieve and just let current do the work around fallen trees, boulders etc.. even neutral fish will only let it sit in there face for so long before taking a swipe.20181218_100511.jpg

20191122_165313.jpg

20191108_162604.jpg

20191011_165645.jpg

20190430_170358-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20170425_1031389.jpg

20191105_081610.jpg

EFFECTS.jpg

20190428_144909.jpg

20190430_133942.jpg

EFFECTS.jpg

20190524_210909.jpg

4 inch swimbait, although it is hard to beat a spinner or grub

for the maybe two option if we have a second choice, I know it limits my species and seasons to fish but I have to go with a topwater, probably the mid size Storm chugbug, just can’t give up topwater😉 

5 hours ago, mooseslayer said:

Rapala F11 is my go to lure

I used them from wayyy back then went to the J11 /J13  . Liked the old count downs too,and the Rebels .

20 hours ago, steellee said:

Kwikfish/ flatfish

Over 60 years ago we snuck into the water works reservoir at Decew and used a U20 frog colour flatfish and caught small mouth nearly every cast ...had a riot !  I  like the newer version Kwikfish but sometimes have trouble running them straight . I have "tweeked" the eye and hooks , even removed the bottom treble and changed to single hooks to no avail ....something inside not balanced me thinks .....

Remember the heavier Canadian Wigglers ....great action & could cast them a mile (km) ....pike killers !

• 2 weeks later...

My friend used this JSR-7 trolling around Rice Lake 1 day and caught a perch, sunfish,

rock bass, catfish, bass, walleye and a huge musky all in the same day.

I think the rattle drives the fish crazy!!

He has 2 rods and uses this lure or an orange jig with a worm and that's all he ever uses on 

Rice Lake.

thumbnail_20191223_125354.jpg

Archived