Fish Scales

smerchly

Most of us use digital scales , some may be more accurate than others depending on brand name ?  

I have a Rapala scale that is getting old and may not be very accurate ...I could have swore my big carp yesterday was over 40 lbs !!  :rolleyes:

I want to check my scale by using water as a basis .... one liter of H2O weighs one Kg ....or 2.2 lbs . so 20 liters weighs just over 44 lbs. 

I'll put 20 liters in a 5 gal pail & deduct the weight of the pail ....should give me an accurate check on my scale ? I also have a spring scale to compare .....

Does anyone check their scales in another way ?  

The best way is to stand in a bucket, hook the scale on the handle then pull up until the bucket raises up off the floor, then subtract the weight of the bucket. Then adjust plus or minus based on your actual weight. 🤪

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

The best way is to stand in a bucket, hook the scale on the handle then pull up until the bucket raises up off the floor, then subtract the weight of the bucket. Then adjust plus or minus based on your actual weight. 🤪

I weigh 300 lbs ,  and my scale only goes to 50 lbs ..... maybe go to the dump depot and weigh my fish .....?

How about I got to a tackle shop and  compare my scale with there 'official" weigh in scale ? :pardon:

9 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I weigh 300 lbs ,  and my scale only goes to 50 lbs ..... maybe go to the dump depot and weigh my fish .....?

How about I got to a tackle shop and  compare my scale with there 'official" weigh in scale ? :pardon:

That would work too! With my method you would have to get a bigger scale.

4 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ve never checked my scale. Let me know how your way turns out. 

I used my 6 liter spray bottle that is marked at 2-4-6 liters....filled it 3 times , dumped 12 liters into a 20 liter bucket which weighed 2 lbs.4 oz....., came to 25 lb.4 oz....minus the pail ....24 lbs.....very close for accuracy .

Then I added the other 6 liters and it read 39 lbs 6 oz, or about 37 lbs of water .

Both my digi scale and cheap dial scale read the same , within 1 lb.    I'm happy with that !

1 hour ago, mck.brad said:

I've got 30lbs dumbbells. Tested with that accurately. 

I've got smartbells (the latest high tech ones) ....haha ......

I never thought about that one ... quick way for sure to test the fish scales !

Some food like potatoes , flour , maize corn , etc. comes in various sizes but may vary more in weight .

When I get my 40 lb.carp I don't want my scale to read 39 lbs when it is over 40 lbs. I would never sleep again....

1 minute ago, Symmetre said:

Most fish scales aren't even close to accurate.

I have tested my digi scale ,lately with heavy weights and I was pleased with the "close" results . I have also weighed small objects like 1 and 2 oz. lead weights , adding more lead for weighing  small fish like 1 -2 lb. perch as we have done during our perch derbies ,always using the same scale .

Other than taking our fish to a butcher shop or use a government approved weigh scale we can't expect a 100% ...like they say , there is no perfect circle . Most digi scales probably have the same electronics inside , made at a Chinese factory  All we can do is check them out periodically .

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

Nice scale Dave . Does it show the ounces well ?  I see it's $158 but only goes to 30 lbs. I suppose I could weigh my big ones in 2 pieces .......    ^_^

There are various sizes if you go to the drop down box, the 30 does quarter pounds , the smaller ones do finer increments . They can be IGFA certified and certified for trade

33 minutes ago, dave524 said:

There are various sizes if you go to the drop down box, the 30 does quarter pounds , the smaller ones do finer increments . They can be IGFA certified and certified for trade

When I fished for salmon back in the 80's my buddy "3 fingered Lewy" had a scale like that "tube scale" , very accurate (compared with official salmon scales) ,and it weight up to 50 lbs . My cheap South Bend dial scale is very close to my Rapala digi scale and can be adjusted to match an official scale . I'll toss it in my "new" Woods back pack for a "backup" ...

Well , it looks like I will buy a new scale ...checked out C.T . for ideas & found a Berkley digi @ $40 with a lithium battery (no mention if rechargeable) & 50lbs

Xcalibur digi @ $33 , uses AAA 's and 50lbs

Xcal spring scale ,also 50 lbs ....9" long and $30 .

My old Rapala digi uses a 9 volt battery  but drains the battery unless I remove it each time I fish. $$$

I leaning towards a spring scale ....no batteries and can handle being dropped better .

I prefer to buy from our local tackle shops (not B.P) . and will see what they have .