Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

Salmon fishing can be the best during a rain, I landed 4 one night at Bronte a few yrs ago all on fire tiger colour Rattling Raps. They are supposed to get the scent of the creek from out in the lake (sensitive to smelling parts per trillion) and tells them there is water in the creek to make their run.

JayB, if u know a fish will not survive a live release it's actually illegal to throw it back and should be taken whether given to someone or taken home for the garden.

:Gonefishing:

im not about to take a 25" pike home with a drive of over an hour in my car,

like i said before just cause i never ate it dont mean other animals wont, its all apart of the eco system

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should always be prepared to keep what you catch. As mentioned, if not by yourself, somebody else may appreciate it. Otherwise it is more ammunition for the antis.

i was well awar of what i was facing. with me bein the only fisherman from 12am till 4am i couldnt even give it away, little own it was a pike. nothing i could have done, it didnt come come back up (caught it at around 1am and left at 4) from what i seen anyway, but it would have been more of a waste for me to keep it. at least the eco system could have absored it back into its own

There's another reason to swap over to single hooks, I hate dealing with trebles.

I agree.. small run this year due to lack of canadian stocking.. the US puts in 85% of the salmon in the lake so thats where they are programmed to spawn..

The stocking quotas have been that pathetic for almost a decade, the funky weather and high water have just made pier casting almost a total washout this season.

If anything, pike are the best fish to eat from out these waters because they are the leanest of the freshwater fishes.

Try a Perch or Walleye and tell me that............Pike are stinky ;):):)

almost 15,000 views, and not even one nudey pic on this thread anywhere B):)

tell me some people aren't just waiting to hear any good salmon reports and then go on a rape and pillage :)

by the time anyone hears any good reports of good numbers, they are going to miss the boat ;)

For those concerned about the fall run, check out Ringwood's site and offer some help.

They need some extra hands throughout the process until the fish are stocked.

A group of 4 to 6 guys car pooling once a month would negate the distance you have to travel.

Even doing it once is a great experience, educational and a welcomed contrbution.

Egg harvesting on the Credit River is tentatively (subject to conditions) scheduled for October 4 to October 13.

This is only about an hour away and they are in need of help during the week.

http://ringwoodfcs.proboards40.com/index.cgi

For those concerned about the fall run, check out Ringwood's site and offer some help.

They need some extra hands throughout the process until the fish are stocked.

A group of 4 to 6 guys car pooling once a month would negate the distance you have to travel.

Even doing it once is a great experience, educational and a welcomed contrbution.

Egg harvesting on the Credit River is tentatively (subject to conditions) scheduled for October 4 to October 13.

This is only about an hour away and they are in need of help during the week.

http://ringwoodfcs.proboards40.com/index.cgi

+1

For those that don't know, the MNR has completely absolved itself from chinook stocking in Lake O. There almost was going to be NO salmon stocked by Ontario. Thankfully a group of guys from Metro East Anglers with help from OFAH took over the responsibility of running the last hatchery raising chinooks before it's doors were shut permanently. That's right, ALL salmon stocked into Lake Ontario is done by volunteers with the MNR only concerned with trout and the waste that is the Atlantic program.

If you want to keep catching chinooks please come out and lend a hand.

Oh, and I finally broke my dry spell last night.

Sept15.jpg

Oh man... you were our there last night?

Last night was some what warm and nice until that brutal north wind blew like crazy causing some sort of spark?lightning? or something taking out the power at that park by Port Credit and west of the bridge. Yes I just stopped by the enjoy the warmer night weather until it got much cooler with the wind.

That wind from north have really cooled down the water on north side.

CLofChik, do you still use same glow in dark even in that brown'd water by all that rain and mud?

Muh whaaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaa, got down to 56 degrees off the piers last night.......just sayin'

Gah, big run of fresh fish came through Bronte Sunday night, blanked out tonight.

The fishing is so hit & miss this season if you're not there for the few hours a run is coming in, the fish are few & far between.

The water around Bronte seemed a lot warmer today than yesterday. Still managed 2 but yesterday was top day so far. Over 11 years doing this Bronte thing off piers and in my kickboat I remember lots of hot summers and warm water BUT the salmon still bit. But not this year, it's very strange. Snidley

i was walking around bronte yesterday, at a very narrow point i noticed something shinning in the bush's. I moved the brush away and found a hockey net and magicly enough the net would perfectly cut of that section of the creek. It would appear someone brought home a few fish he night before :dunno:

Before i left i cut the net away and took it with me. I hate seeing that kind of stuff......

i was walking around bronte yesterday, at a very narrow point i noticed something shinning in the bush's. I moved the brush away and found a hockey net and magicly enough the net would perfectly cut of that section of the creek. It would appear someone brought home a few fish he night before :dunno:

Before i left i cut the net away and took it with me. I hate seeing that kind of stuff......

that sucks for sure,a hockey net, sometimes it's a baseball bat :lol: I hope they like the taste of half dead salmon you aren't even supposed to eat :o

Petro Canada Park is a disgrace this time of year. I've actually witnessed a whole familiy of snagers working together there to break all sorts of laws ie snaging, poaching, keeping more than your limit, vandalism, drinking in public and drinking under age and likely fishing without a licence. That was all one family group (of hillbillies). The result was drunkeness, a garbage pail full of dark salmon, a park bench dragged into the river and of course beer bottles left strewn all over the lawn/playing field there. They were a happy bunch so I guess it's all worth it. This year things are getting bad again at Montsberg. After enforcement on the train tracks had reduced dramatically the number of poacher/trespassers this year there were people on the tracks every time I was there. Even the new fine of $525 per person for trespass (plus no licence fines for the majority of poachers that would be fishing there) has not kept them away (enforcement was spotty). One day I saw a family of new Canadians working the tube area and I pointed out that they were trespassing (they were standing right underneath the no trespassing sign) they pointed out that I was a stupid f%&king white man that should be happy they were in Canada to work period. They claimed they had licences so they were entitled to get something for their money ( ergo poaching/trespassing was ok, for them, because they had licences don't you know). After a few words the dad threatened to swim after me (I was in my kickboat) because they can swim in Ghana. I invited him in but he ultimately declined. The donut squad (Canadian Pacific division) never showed up natually so I'm sure they removed some of their "limit" since they were using worms. All in all the perception of fishing in Canada has reverted to a free grocery store, not in small measure because our legal limits are absurdly generous, our legal fishing methods remain far too traditional (use of minnows, roe, worms leeches etc) and our ministry insists on spending limited money on research for stuff we already know vs enforcement of the rules. It is just another reason why I get just as pissed about anglers "keeping their limit", stripping hens, "sight"fishing shallows, dams and rapids and doing so "because it's legal" as I do when I see outright lawbreakers poaching, trespassing and vandalizing. But . for sure, Bronte is a nightmare that could keep one enforcement officer busy 24/7/365.

I hear ya Snidley, that's why I have skipped out on the whole salmon fishing thing from shore for like 6-7 years now..just seems to get worse every year, I can wait until the cold weather and trout abound :dunno:

Petro Canada Park is a disgrace this time of year. I've actually witnessed a whole familiy of snagers working together there to break all sorts of laws ie snaging, poaching, keeping more than your limit, vandalism, drinking in public and drinking under age and likely fishing without a licence. That was all one family group (of hillbillies). The result was drunkeness, a garbage pail full of dark salmon, a park bench dragged into the river and of course beer bottles left strewn all over the lawn/playing field there. They were a happy bunch so I guess it's all worth it. This year things are getting bad again at Montsberg. After enforcement on the train tracks had reduced dramatically the number of poacher/trespassers this year there were people on the tracks every time I was there. Even the new fine of $525 per person for trespass (plus no licence fines for the majority of poachers that would be fishing there) has not kept them away (enforcement was spotty). One day I saw a family of new Canadians working the tube area and I pointed out that they were trespassing (they were standing right underneath the no trespassing sign) they pointed out that I was a stupid f%&king white man that should be happy they were in Canada to work period. They claimed they had licences so they were entitled to get something for their money ( ergo poaching/trespassing was ok, for them, because they had licences don't you know). After a few words the dad threatened to swim after me (I was in my kickboat) because they can swim in Ghana. I invited him in but he ultimately declined. The donut squad (Canadian Pacific division) never showed up natually so I'm sure they removed some of their "limit" since they were using worms. All in all the perception of fishing in Canada has reverted to a free grocery store, not in small measure because our legal limits are absurdly generous, our legal fishing methods remain far too traditional (use of minnows, roe, worms leeches etc) and our ministry insists on spending limited money on research for stuff we already know vs enforcement of the rules. It is just another reason why I get just as pissed about anglers "keeping their limit", stripping hens, "sight"fishing shallows, dams and rapids and doing so "because it's legal" as I do when I see outright lawbreakers poaching, trespassing and vandalizing. But . for sure, Bronte is a nightmare that could keep one enforcement officer busy 24/7/365.

grrrrr stuff like that really burns me inside, they think because they imigrated to this country they own it and the law does not apply to them. man if i was you there someone would have been going home in a body bag for the rudness/ ignorance of what you have told me they said to you. .. :dunno::lol::o:P

we need a fishing vigulantie hahaha

YIKES, I'm staying away from this one.............except phone the dam tips line it really works, the more calls they recieve the better the enforcment ;):)

Archived