Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fishing wont be good till after the weekend so everyone stay home and kiss some A$$ with the wives (Hee Hee) with more rain coming Friday-Saturday-and Sunday the fish are bound to start hitting as of Next Monday, Bronte was as dead as can be last night and today, I seen some boats off shore but they are still way out there, seen a few fish jump but again way the hell out there. This south east wind wont help either. Not a fish in the river - not a fish on shore - no fish to be found I'm getting a little bored.

Guest Rockfish

Tried the 16 mile creek last night, water was flat and piles of floating algae started moving in just after dark and got tired of cleaning off my spoons. Went to Bronte and same algae scenerio, was going to try the Hamilton pier but as I got to the end of the steel walkway, a guy gets a male Chinny on roe and I help him out with my longer net landing it over the railing.

It was 36.5 " and he offered me a few roe bags so I stayed to do some plunking for a while and we both just had a few line bumps. A few fish were jumping in the harbour but no takers. It was the only fish I saw landed from 10- midnight when I was there, pretty slow this time of year.

Talked to a few guys coming off the pier that had no hits and one guy said he lost one the other night when he got spooled with 130 yrds, told him he needs at least 200 yds of mono. I had one take off like a shot one year and peeled off 180 yrds in a minute (could see the black bottom on my spool, lol) and managed to get him turned around and land him. The joys of the Fall Salmon season, miss some, lose some, land some, so nice to be out this time of year with no skeeters around.

:lol:

Got two salmon this morning around 5:45 at Bronte. First male, around 18-20 lbs, released, and second silver female 19 ½ lb. Both fish bit Moonshine spoon in green color with black spots. These are the only two fish that I saw this morning. There was no action on the pier before or after my two fish.

-thanks to the guy who helped me with net.

Good for you shtuka :lol::lol: ......I've been drowning that moonshine :lol: , the thing is this year if you hit the bite you connect nothing if you don't :( .....I hit 4 fish a week ago in 1 hour, thought here we go, 2 fish since on 4 outings, it's a strange year, I thought maybe temp had somthing do with it now I'm thinking poor return of chinnies :( Our useless government is putting all there efforts in the Atlantiic Farse :dunno: .......So goes the salmon fishery we Ontarians once enjoyed, keep stocking the high priced fish food and bring on more idiotic comercials about how green our industries are :angry2: .......The fiberals will never get it :lol:

Heh gotcha beat on the sad pathetic fishing Canada. Dinged 5 off Bronte my first two trips down, nothing since in three weeks of fishing. Picked up one or two here & there but I'm stuck in a long dry spell.

Anyone wanna split gas to NY? :lol:

Heh gotcha beat on the sad pathetic fishing Canada. Dinged 5 off Bronte my first two trips down, nothing since in three weeks of fishing. Picked up one or two here & there but I'm stuck in a long dry spell.

Anyone wanna split gas to NY? :lol:

I'd love to............Border crossing may be a problem :lol::lol::lol: I'll stick to Canada giver ago tonight, it's the same story everywhere with all my spoon tossing buds. They hit some fish in an hour or so then dead for the next couple of nights :angry2: ....Absolutly nothing consistant, you would think this time of year fishing would be a little consistant but that ain't happening........one fish a night seems to be a Bonus :dunno:

the water is still a bit too warm I think, the warm water is pretty harsh on cold water fish like salmon...this is the right time of year fishing for salmon should start to get in full swing in the next few days. The clock is telling them it's time for a run up stream, but the temps are telling them otherwize. Got a feeling they will croak alot quicker this year too if the warmth keeps up.

I agree there is a huge decline in numbers that run ..best runs I have ever seen and fished are the mid 80's I would have to say, but I have noticed over the last couple years that there seems to be more big fish caught again. In the 80's we where catching so many big fish we would laugh and not even take a pic of fish that where say 25lbs and under because this was the average, into the 90's my observations where that the average size fish where now into the high teens, with the 20-25lber being the bigger ones. Now it seems if guys are catching them recently, there seems to be a good average of about 20lbs again.

Now if onyl things where like the 80's again, and there wasn't so much BS surrounding the whole soap opera that happens this time of year all over the place I might even start fishing salmon from shore again in the fall :lol::dunno::lol:

So if 2 were cuaght this morning then this meens that they r catchable right now ... but The action at Port D. what time is usualy good to go out there ? i always here about it an i really wanna try it out there im gunna set myself up a rob an head out .... what do you all sudjest for minumum rod recuirments ? lol AND if i am going out there what are they hitting hot ? an Who wants coffe that erly an what do they take in it ? :lol:

So if 2 were cuaght this morning then this meens that they r catchable right now ... but The action at Port D. what time is usualy good to go out there ? i always here about it an i really wanna try it out there im gunna set myself up a rob an head out .... what do you all sudjest for minumum rod recuirments ? lol AND if i am going out there what are they hitting hot ? an Who wants coffe that erly an what do they take in it ? :lol:

Lots of questions.....sorry I can't answer, there is nothing consistant.......all I can tell you is get out there and throw you never know when the fish turn on could be 10pm, 12am, 1am , 3am, 4am or 5,6 am it's a crap shoot my friend, there hittting what ever your throwing when they hit :lol::lol::dunno: .......Nothing consistant any fish I got have been on a different bait, just gotta wait them out :angry2:

@Credit...

Water was dead calm, weather was warming up, foggy weather...

Few jumps during darker hours but non caught.

I guess when we get some of those rain up here due to hurricane from south... that is when big run might happen?

Now once again, should I even bother to cast spoons when it is pouring rain? or should I try my luck after the rain? or day or two after the rain?

I would really hope to land atleast two fish to break my personal record. :Gonefishing: Yes, that is my personal best record, two land + 1 hookup only.

another slow morning at port dal got skunked again hopfully thr first one is the hardest get

i did see and hear more fish jump than thr last time i was there but still only seen two fish caught

last i heard 2 or so weeks ago that things where good at port , what happened

nothin goin on at 16 mile creek, fished from 10 pm till 4am there before givin up to goto bronte, seen 1 guy land one and one guy loose one, fair amount of fishing jumping there.

caught a 25" pike on a glow spoon, poor guy had the hook literally down his throat and into his stomache

last i heard 2 or so weeks ago that things where good at port , what happened

On and off nothing consistant, I'm thinking it's going to be a poor run of fish unless you go south of the border :Gonefishing:

Guest niagarariverpro

I agree.. small run this year due to lack of canadian stocking.. the US puts in 85% of the salmon in the lake so thats where they are programmed to spawn.. bring on the browns n bows..

Guest Rockfish
@Credit...

Water was dead calm, weather was warming up, foggy weather...

Few jumps during darker hours but non caught.

I guess when we get some of those rain up here due to hurricane from south... that is when big run might happen?

Now once again, should I even bother to cast spoons when it is pouring rain? or should I try my luck after the rain? or day or two after the rain?

I would really hope to land atleast two fish to break my personal record. :Gonefishing: Yes, that is my personal best record, two land + 1 hookup only.

Salmon fishing can be the best during a rain, I landed 4 one night at Bronte a few yrs ago all on fire tiger colour Rattling Raps. They are supposed to get the scent of the creek from out in the lake (sensitive to smelling parts per trillion) and tells them there is water in the creek to make their run.

JayB, if u know a fish will not survive a live release it's actually illegal to throw it back and should be taken whether given to someone or taken home for the garden.

:Gonefishing:

Archived